I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  question about shoulder pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: question about shoulder pain  (Read 1695 times)
bleija

« on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »

i have had this shopulder pain for the longest time now. It intensifies when i lie down or when i take in deep breaths. It honestly feels likle air, but i dnt know from where. I am on PD, so my first thought was fluid. I did 2 greens the other night, as i usually do, and during the first dwell, my legs and feet were cramping so bad. you know how when u cramp u bend the oppsite direction to get it to release w3ell when i did tht it would initiate several other muscles to cramp, called my nurse about tht told him about my shoulder pain and he tolds me to go down to yellows, so i did, not cramping as bad today or even yesterday, but this pain in my shoulder is worse. My nurse thinks it could be air, and told me to make sure my liunes are primed all the way. And they always are trust me i make sure i hate the  feeling of air. but this started when i was on hemo and when i was dealing with pleurisy issues. prednisone would clear everything right up and tht seems to be the only thing thazt this pain will respond to. I would like to avoid prednisone since they give u that after tranplant i dnt want my body to biuld a tolerance for it and then it not be effective whhen i get my transplant. I dnt know what to do but im tired of this pain  :waving; :waiting;
Traveller1947

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

I don't have an answer for you, bleija--I wish I did.  Do you think you should have it checked out by an orthopedist?  We tend to think everything is related to kidney disease or dialysis, but sometimes the sun and moon are in the sky at the same time...All the best to you.
SteveK87

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »

How have your phosphorus levels been?  Does it hurt to breathe combined with the shoulder pain or is it just isolated in the shoulder?
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

I have had that same pain! I'm on CAPD and I drain at night. It's usually more intense at night when I drain but does happen periodically throughout the day. I don't know that I can help, though, as I don't know what causes it either or what makes it eventually go away. It hurts when I inhale and sometimes just moving at all hurts. My unit says, too, that it might be sir or draining too empty but nothing I'm be tried seems to work. Sorry I can't be of more help, but you'd re not alone!

Diagnosis: distal renal tubular acidosis with medullary sponge kidney
3/4/2010 started hemo via sub-clavian catheter
6/15/2010 listed for kidney (on hold)
8/2/2010 started CAPD
3/20/12 on active wait list for kidney
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 03:59:05 AM »

I used to get it when I did capd. I was told by my home nurse that the nerves in the shoulder are somehow connected to the abdomen and the daiphram and due to the extended state of the abdomen when full,this can create pressure on the diaphram which in turn puts pressure on the nerves in your shoulder.

Ken
bleija

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:39 AM »

interestng, yes intensifies when i breathe, i noticed last night that it releases when im al most completely when im completely drained... but i carry 1000 on during the day and i do 2000 fills at night...its worse when im completely full... maybe i can get my nurse to go back down to 1800... :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »