I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant and Tattoos
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant and Tattoos  (Read 24201 times)
George Jung

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »

Transplant coordinator today saw a tattoo on my arm and suggested if I had been thinking of having some work done that I should do it now, PRE-transplant.  More risk with the suppressed immune system down the road and the docs will try to discourage it.
Jess21

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »

Are transplant recipients allowed to get tattoos?  I would think so, but not positive.  I want to get one in rememberance of the person/life I get one from...my mom is ok with it, my boyfriend thinks its stupid I'd get one in "memory of someone I didn't even know or don't know anything about".  Any advice?

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
draven

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:56:46 AM »

i have been wondering the same thing. i have been planing to get a tattoo for sometime. and now im scheduled for a transplant next month.

tattoo parlours are supposed to be sterile and the needles are new and must be opened in front of you. so the procedure is pretty safe.
i think the only thing to worry about is the aftercare of the tattoo, you might be prone to skin infections and you might not heal very quickly.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

When I was getting my kidney biopsy for the Hep C I got in the dialysis center, there was another guy in there getting one as a result of a tattoo.

Yes, tattoo parlors are supposed to be sterile but, then, so are dialysis centers.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

I have seen this topic before in many transplant groups. The official word from the transplant center varies, mine says not to get one. Patients who have gotten one after transplant have had no problems. It's a matter of choosing a good facility, keeping the area clean as much as possible afterwards, and something I am foorgetting.

www.transplantbuddies.org has the topic under the kidney, pancreas transplant forum if you would like to read their responces. I can post a link later of the topic. If I have 2 Internet Windows up at the sametime on this hotel pc, I'll never get anything done.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
502Blues

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 11:04:06 AM »

It depends on where you get your tattoo, i wouldnt accept one from someone who comes to your house.or the neighborhood tattooist. go to a reputable tattoo parlor and watch them open a new package of sterile  equipment.. Ive gotten a couple after my last transplant

1991: kidney failure, undetermined cause
1991: right and left clavicle temporary catheters
1991: catheter for PD
1992:transplant
1998: June, Fistula placement
1998: july, back to dialysis,Hemo
1999: transplanted kidney removed
2001: parathyroidism
2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: april, Pd catheter placement
 PD would not drain properly
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »

I did finally get another tattoo. The studio I chose is excellent, extremely clean and sterile. They don't even touch their chairs, lamps etc without having the handles covered with a plastic-type wrap. I kept the tattoo clean with antibacterial wash, as per their recommendation, and used after care cream to prevent any infection.

This tattoo took about 4 or 5 separate sittings, and I had no trouble at all, not a single sign of infection.

Unfortunately, I did have a nasty acne rash when these photos were taken.  >:(

Here's another one, which I got done when I was 17, back in the early 1990s.

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »

My 2 tattoos: My children's names and a Sacred Heart of Jesus.  God & family: not too tough. I wanted to get another one.  When I got these I was unable to donate blood for 1 year.  If I get another will that postpone a possible transplant?  I am not even on the list yet but do not want anything to postpone me getting on the list.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »

I doubt it would postpone it, because the workup to transplant is pretty intense, with a lot of screening. However, I would check this very clearly with your renal clinic before going ahead. A tattoo can wait, a transplant is far more important!  :)
draven

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:55 AM »

Awesome Tats Cycobully and YLguy

Im so glad to see other transplant reciepents getting tattoos. i have been planning my tattoo for months now, but everyone
is against it. they think it will cause rejection. :(

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

As long as you do all the right things to avoid infection, there is no reason why it would cause rejection.

I have heard differing opinions from doctors, too. All you can do is be very educated on the issue and make your own decision.
Lisa

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »

Here is my newest tattoo...a donor awareness ribbon/butterfly

Lisa
born 1966 with PKD
ESRD 1987
PD started 1987
1st hemo 1989 (permacaths, grafts and fistulas)
1st Transplant 1990
Transplant failed 1994
Hemo 1994 (permacaths, grafts and fistulas)
2nd Transplant 1995
Hemo 2010 (permacath hopefully merging into PD)
PD training 3/16/10
CAPD...the CCPD until present
...waiting to go on "the list"
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »

Im so glad to see other transplant reciepents getting tattoos. i have been planning my tattoo for months now, but everyone is against it. they think it will cause rejection. :(

I had a transplant nine years ago, about three years after that I got my first tattoo, all together I've gotten seven over the years. My nephrologist urged me not to because of infection and hepatitis, but he never said no.My primary care physician doesn't mind them and neither do my other doctors. I just made sure to go to a reputable tattoo parlor and took very good care of my tattoos while they were healing. I don't think there's any real evidence that tattoos cause kidney rejection... and I really don't see how it could, you would have to get one nasty infection or something. One thing I was told by my tattoo artist is that you should try to keep tattoos above the waist  because the closer to the heart the easier/faster it heals.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
Dodgedude2001

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »

I was on dialysis for about 18months an I got a monster big tat an my Dr said it was no big deal an the trans cented=r said they didnt see anything wrong wwith getting one.........so I did! I have about 9 or 10 hours in on this tat an its not done yet. So I would say ask the trans center an see what they say...........good luck!!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

I got these yesterday!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »