I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Time at the Dialysis center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time at the Dialysis center  (Read 3610 times)
Riverwhispering

« on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:19 AM »

I was under the impression that a normal dialysis session was about 4 hours but...

I called the Dialysis center near where I hope to be moving to and talked with the head honcho there.  I liked that she said they have three shifts because where I am they only have two.

What did surprise me was she said they are three hour sessions three times a week.  Everything I've read I thought says that three hours isn't enough time and way too fast.   :banghead;

Any comments?

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »

Everybody's time is different.  She may have just been saying three hours as a generalization.  Personally, I started at three and a half hours and got penalized with 15 more minutes when they didn't like my numbers.

You may want to check with your nephrologist and find out the prescription he/she will be writing for you as far as time.  Then you can check back with the clinic and see if they can get you in on your preferred shift with the time that you were given.
Riverwhispering

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »

I haven't started dialysis yet, I'm hoping to move before I have to start.  My GFR is running 11/12 right now.  I still have to move and then find a Neph where I'm moving.  I hope I have time.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »

More dialysis is better --that is if you want to live a longer, healthier life.
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »

Has your GFR been steady?  I didn't have any time - I went from a creatnine of 1.2 to over 9 in the course of three months.  I went from "dialysis - yeah, someday maybe" to "OMG - you need to start tomorrow!". 

Here's my cynical side - will you be on private insurance when you start?  I found that because I had private insurance, my clinic moved heaven and earth for me to get the shift and time that I needed.  Sad but true.  You may find the same thing - they may be very willing to accommodate you if they know that they are going to get beau coup bucks from your insurance company.
Riverwhispering

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

My GFR has been going down slowly, it was down to 11 and last time was 12 but many things could be factors on that. 

I have no insurance at all.  I will have Medicare when I start and will be getting supplemental insurance hopefully to cover the 20%

Traveller1947

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

At my center, time on the machine can vary from 2-1/2 hours to 5 hours.  All the same, each shift is 4 hours long, so I would guess that the nurse who told you 3 hours, was just giving you an average.  It will all fall into place once you start dialysis.  As always, wishing you the best.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

I knew a guy at my center who was on for 7 hours at a time, 3 days a week!
That is too much

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »

I started off at 3 1/2 hours, but they bumped me up to 4 hours.  It takes 4 1/2  hours because setup and get-off time adds to the time.  They're weaning me on bigger needles for my new fistula, so hopefully they'll be able to draw more blood faster, and do it less time.  Or is that wishful thinking?  At my center the time varies from patient to patient. 
malaka

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »

It depends on how much "drawn off" you need and what you can tolerate.  I started at 3, was bumped up to 3.5, and now I'm back to three hours.  I still make urine and have some remaining kidney function, so less time was needed.  Also, they can change the ultrafiltration rate on you so its not just time alone.  Generally, however, according to many dialysis sites, removing "X" water and urea, etc., over a longer time is better for you.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »

More dialysis is better --that is if you want to live a longer, healthier life.
 :beer1;

Totally agree with you, Zach!  Plus, the higher the BFR the harder it is on heart & access!  Longer/slower is best for longevity in all things!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Riverwhispering

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »

much relieved now  :yahoo;

I just got off the phone with a nurse at the dialysis center I will be going to and he said what everyone has been saying here that it depends on how well you follow the rules on fluids and what you eat.   He said most of their patients at that center do dialysis for 3 hours with no problems if they follow the rules.  If not it could be up to 4 hours depending on stuff happening.

HSM

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »

Zach's on the money, I do 4 hours and 5 minutes 3 times a week (Fresenius decided an extra 5 minutes would make a significant contribution to our blood results lol) and I feel great.

Eating well and avoiding what we shouldn't eat contributes towards the big picture too. I'm quite healthy most of the time, exercising helps too. Honestly, if someone hears that I'm on dialysis, often they think it's a joke as I look and am very healthy.

Hardev

The only reason I attend dialysis is for the tea and the biscuits!

Dialysis wasn't the end, it was just the beginning!

It's about ability, NOT disability!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »

Currently I do 3 and 3/4 hrs. I used to do 4 hrs for the first....oh I would say  15 months of dialysis. My numbers had been consistently pretty good so one neph dwindled my time down from the 4 hrs to my new time. If my new fistula continues to  run great they told me then they will likely decrease my time even more to 3.5 hrs, which would make me a happy camper.       :flower;

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:51:59 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
qmdono

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »

When I was on hemo the sessions were for 4 hours but timed seemed to move slower .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »