I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 03:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Your disasters on NxstageI thou
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your disasters on NxstageI thou  (Read 2502 times)
ESRD Survivor

« on: March 28, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

I thought I would share mine.  We have only been home for just a little over 3 weeks now on our own.  Monday night I go to hook up, going well, needles go in good, but the Venus felt a little weird going in, but I had a good flash so we hook up and about 5 min into running I get a red 24 alarm.  We look it up, hmmm ok we will reposition the Venus since I figured that was it.  Stupid us took off all the tape and the needle came out.  Blood squirting out my arm, blood squirting out the needle.  So we get it all under control and ask my daughter to come get the dog so we can clean up and what does she say?  Looks like a murder scene from my law enforcement class films.  LOL  My hubby says now what?  I said we give up and try tomorrow.  Tuesday went well but the Venus seemed to feel like it was spasaming, or I was just more aware of it because I was afraid it would happen again.

So tell me some of your oops.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

You will eventually do this....we heard about someone else who did it and vowed that we wouldn't!  :rofl;

One day you will forget to unhook the drain line from the saline bag and you will be draining into to bag until is blows up like a beach ball and then either springs a leak or bursts. Note: keep a bucket handy. It will save your  :sir ken;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »

Aleta, I claim that one about drain going into Saline bag.  Now these newly developed lines they have, will totally eliminate that from happening.  Simple little fix, all they did is make the Blue clamp bigger to include waste line.  So when you are hooked up and ready to push start, you have to close Blue clamp by saline bag anyway, so they just made it a bigger clamp with waste line going through it side by side with Venous Line.  Really genious, but so simple!

When J was going in-center, his needle came out.  I wasnt there, but he told me when I saw blood all over him!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
rocker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »

Hmmmm, in the NOT MY FAULT category....

First day of training, he gets on the machine.  After a few minutes, asks if I'm chilly.  Sure, it's cool in here.  He gets colder and colder until he's shivering.  I take his temp, it's 92!  I run and get the head nurse (can't find our training nurse) who walks in, swears under her breath, and turns on the heater.

For blood spurts (we call them Monty Python moments, in honor of the Black Knight), well, more than once I've removed a syringe without clamping.  Oops.  And a couple days ago, I was pulling the tape off the arterial needle and sort of thought vaguely "Hmmm, that feels a little wiggly."  Just a moment before I turned away, he swore, and I turned around and he was holding the tape down over his buttonhole.  :)

Then there was the time he had a stick he wasn't happy with and he said to get a gauze, he was pulling the needle.  So we pulled, he held, and checked after a couple minutes.  Pulled the gauze away slowly, then we both chuckled aloud and he put the gauze back.  He said "Haha, I thought that red string was just a clot hanging off, but it was actually a jet of blood squirting out.  Haha!" And I laughed and said "I know, right!  I thought the same thing!  Haha!" 

Then I looked at him and said wow, look at how far we've come....we're having a good laugh over blood jetting out and splattering.  And we laughed at our laughter.

But it was funny.  :)

- rocker
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »