I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what a peace of crap graft
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what a peace of crap graft  (Read 1654 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »

I'm having issues with my graft again, well it's got a great thrill, they did an aultrasound, everything looks good, it's the outside of the graft that's the problem. The bottom of the graft (the arterial end) is fine, they can stick it without no problems, it's the venus they have issues with, the venus part, the skin and the top of the graft are so scarred and clotty they can't seem to get a good flash and pull clot after clot after clot which is on top of the graft not inside so it doesn't affect the thrill. I'm told that surgeons don't typically like to work on the areas outside the graft because if they do there's a chance while the insision is healing scar tissue will grow back again. There's only 1 tech that can some how force their way through the mess but she isn't always there, well actually 2 techs so when they aren't there I will let the other techs try, then I have them switch to the catheter which I still have, but my neph has scheduled me to get it out Friday if all goes ok, I am really knervous about getting it out though do to this problem, but my neph says we will work with it, when you only got 2 techs that can stick it do to the scarring mess then at least these doctors should do something about it. My surgeon did a vein mapping and he says he can put a new access in the same arm, but before he does this, something has to be done to freshen up the skin I would think.
I'm just ranting, thanks for listening.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »

That was a very fine rant!!

I can't imagine what it must be like to have to be cannulated through so much scar tissue.  What exactly are your docs plans to deal with this, and when will they start working your piece of crap graft so it will be come a very fine graft (like your rant)?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »

Gosh Sulli, ya just can't get good medical devices these days!   :rofl;   Seriously, I hope you get a good access soon.  My hubby has vascular issues and has had a lot of trouble with his graft, fistulas, catheters, etc....It isn't any fun to deal with.  I'll be thinking of you. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:10 AM »

Oh no, I'm getting a loop graft in my lower right forearm today.

Hope you get some help soon.    :bow;

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »

the doctor said he only removes scarr tissue only when it's inside the graft because the insision that he makes to clean out the scar tissue, well it will grow new scar tissue as the insision heals, that was his answer anyways, the surgeon I went to before him said he didn't remove scar tissue either but did not give me a reason why. I also asked my center and they said some times the scar tissue is so in beded into the skin that it can't be removed.
I'm wondering, is there another type of surgeon out there that can remove scar tissue other than a vascular surgeon? Or are there any v surgeons that do remove scar tissue that has surrounded the skin of an access cause I ain't having any luck in my area.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »