I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 02:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Recieved my first and hopefully only transplant Feb 2nd. Success!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recieved my first and hopefully only transplant Feb 2nd. Success!  (Read 3165 times)
ARCB

« on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »

:bandance; :yahoo; :clap; :2thumbsup; :cheer:
 I did it!  After 7 years of PD I got a transplant. My husband, my wonderful amazing partner donated his kidney to a stranger so that I could get one. I am still in disbelief that it's all over. The actual surgery pain was more intense than I expected but that only lasted a few days. The anti rejection drugs are not as bad as I thought they were going to be , knock on wood it stays like that.  My creatinine has gone from 1200 to 128. My hemoglobin is now in the 90 s which has been years since that happened.  All other labs are good. They call me a textbook transplant. Surgeon said it slipped right into place a perfect fit. Started peeing before he closed me up. Still going in daily for labs and such hope to be back home in a few weeks.
 Never actually allowed myself to think that this was going to come true. The question is now what?  I've been out of the job field for years. I'm 31 now. I have and education a BA and. BEd. If I teach again will that expose me to too many germs ?  It's hard not to worry about this little kidney failing. But as my love says live for today and enjoy it . I am trying to put the fear away. I love eating fruit and dairy. I love not doing dialysis for the last week. Saved 80 hours of my life. Love not putting a dressing on my catheter anymore after showering. Love the new found energy. The lust goes on as I now experience many new wonderful things. Oh and on a side note I pee every 30-40 minutes cause I haven't used my bladder for almost a decade so it shrunk to a large walnut lol. They say it'll streach soon enough. I want everyone's advice on post transplant experiences. I loved u all helping me through dialysis and could use your support starting my life over again which it seems like I am, restarting.  Whats next Do's don'ts  please.

Alport Syndrome 1992
ESRD- 2005
PD -10 hours daily 2005-2012
Transplant Feb 2nd 2012.
coravh

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »

Congrats on the transplant. These chains are wonderful things. As for dos and don'ts, there aren't that many things. Purell is going to be your best friend. I use it after touching most common things like bank machines, shopping carts, mall door handles, etc. My first year I was very diligent. Then I slacked off and kept getting colds. Once I started using it again, I was fine.

Since you were on pd you probably had a more varied diet than I did on hemo. I had a very limited range of food I could eat due to my potassium sensitivity. So I overdid it and gained a lot of weight after. Try to avoid that. I felt bad and it wasn't good for my kidney either.

Best of luck.

Cora
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »

Dos and donts? Always take your meds and get your blood tests. That's the most important. The rest is just try to stay healthy. Do be careful about infection risks. Don't listen to idiots who say you're ridiculous about those infection risks. Celebrate your transplant anniversaries. Enjoy!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »

this is so fun to read..  such a new beginning for you and i hope it lasts for ever and ever.  Im very happy for you and thank that man of yours as well  :2thumbsup;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Don't worry - right about the time you are no longer amused with peeing every 30 minutes, your bladder really will stretch back to a semi-normal size!

As for being out of the job field for years - well, that's you, me, and everyone else who just lost an obsolete job in this economy.  Starting over, especially at 31, is so common these days that no one will even blink.  (You're a decade younger than I am, and I'm finishing my paralegal post-bach certificate in 3 months.)

Going back into a school environment isn't impossible, if that's what you really want to do.  You just have to be a lot more cautious than most.  If the germs do scare you enough to make you reconsider your career path, I'd highly recommend taking an updated Meyer-Briggs or other personality test that help lead you into a new field.  I did when I was ready to look into new possible careers to build off of my BA, and that's how I ended up as a paralegal.  I never would have thought of it without the test results, and I love what I'm training to do.  Plus, I think being sick for so long changes you in subtle ways that you may not even consider, and the personality tests may help guide you in a direction that suits who you are now.

Here's a fun one just to start off -   http://www.humanmetrics.com/index.htm#intro

Good luck!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »

:clap; :clap; :clap;

Wonderful news.

I just wanted to weigh in on the teaching. Carl got a transplant a little over a year ago. He was a preschool teacher before that. Well, he stayed out of the classroom for about a month, then slowly eased his way back into teaching little germ carriers! He is doing fine. A few things, though. He carries a small bottle of Purell with him and uses it frequently. He no longer changes diapers, cleans up vomit, or changes any of the animal cages. Other than that, he leads a "normal" life. Oh, he also doesn't push elevator buttons.  :rofl;

Congratulations! Enjoy your new freedom every day!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
ARCB

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »

:yahoo;  lol. I don't touch elevator buttons either. Too funny. Thanks for all of your input it was really helpful. Especially about the personality test to determine a new career. I never considered that. Will do it tomorrow. I'm sure I've changed over the years to, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. I was a bit of a germ Phobia on dialysis but now I am super aware of people touching the faces or stuff off the floor and then handing it to my ect. It's good to be proactive I figure. Also thanks for the advice I will celebrate my new kidney friend which I've named Salley religiously.
Will keep u updated , thanks for the support

Love Alisa (& Salley)

Alport Syndrome 1992
ESRD- 2005
PD -10 hours daily 2005-2012
Transplant Feb 2nd 2012.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 02:55:27 AM »

Excercise a little every day to keep your system strong and your weight down.
Congratulations!!!! Its great to see your plan to enjoy your kidney!
I wish you a long and happy time together with Salley!
 :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »

Congratulations!

I'm 31 now. I have and education a BA and. BEd. If I teach again will that expose me to too many germs?
You need to chat to Lou!  Maybe she'll pop along and see this post.  I believe she had her transplant whilst teaching and then returned to teaching, and is still teaching two years later. 

To be honest, when I think of all the people my Blokey meets and walks past and *touches* (through them having touched money/a door handle/anything) it blows my mind and it would blow my mind even more if I then thought of all the germs associated with that.  I just don't have the energy to worry *that* much and I have to trust that he does what he needs to do, as you will too. 

Again, BIGGEST congrats!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »

Congratulations arcb, enjoy, and some good tips above here.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
jbs149

avFistula-2/10,ICHD-4/11,transplant listed,pkd

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »

Congratulations!! :yahoo; It is so nice to hear that you got a transplant!!! You and your husband are an inspiration to those of us still waiting on the list!  God Bless you and I hope your bladder gets larger soon!! Please keep us all posted regarding life after dialysis!!!

JBS149 :-)
Making lemonade with these lemons!!
Krisna

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »

Congrats!  I've had 4 transplants, 2 of which were during my childhood and teen yrs.  I went to public school and yes, I got sick.  I called my kidney doc when I got a cold or flu and let her know so she could keep a watch on my kidney.  Washing you hands regularly and using hand sanitizer are the best defenses against viruses.  You need to make sure your family who live outside of your home inform you if they are sick before you visit them or they visit you.  This is especially important for abt the first yr.

As long as you take precautions and let your doc know when you are sick especially if you are running a fever then you should be fine.

And as far as the teaching goes...I don't know...I was a student and all my teachers and classmates knew I had a transplant.  I had teachers with various medical problems who told the class certain things.  One was hypoglycemic and had to eat a lot but she was the typing teacher so no food or drink was allowed in the room except for her.  If it were me I would tell the class to please use hand sanitizer and/or wash your hands and if you are sick be sure to cover your mouth when coughing.  When my sisters were little I just said that I got sick real easy and it could hurt my kidney so they knew to be careful.   How you word it all depends on the age of the person you explaining it to.  Most of my classmates were cool abt it.  My family was of course.

As for the bladder thing...that happened to me after my last 2 transplants.  The 3rd one had to removed 9 wks after transplant so it wasn't in very long.  But eventually it did expand.  I'll never forget the trip I took with my dad to Idaho (from Seattle) for a funeral shortly after my last transplant.  We had to stop at every exit with a bathroom!  It took forever to get there!  lol

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

I was transplanted in June and went back to work with kids in a hospital at the end of September...and so far and so good....I had CMV in January but it wasn't from the kids just a transplant hazard. Congrats on the kidney wishing you many years of health!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »