I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hair Loss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair Loss  (Read 4279 times)
SteveK87

« on: January 22, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

What is causing this for my wife?  She does the home hemo 5 days a week and she has been loosing hair more and more noticeably.  Almost everyday she can comb it and have a chunk in the comb.  I did a search here and some said its the heparin?  Any remedies such as supplements or foods to help prevent it?  The heparin is a must for her because she clots very easily.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Just an FYI too she takes Dialyvite everyday and her protein levels are acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:20:26 PM by SteveK87 » Logged
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

I had this same problem when I was on HD. You can do a search for it on this site and you will find other threads about it. One product that was mentioned a lot was Nioxxon (or Nioxxin - can't remember the spelling). You can get a package deal that includes shampoo, conditioner, and scalp treatment. I didn't notice it working for me when I used it, but maybe I needed to give it more time. I also may have bought the wrong formula for my hair - I didn't notice til I had used it a few times that I bought the kind for "fine" hair, which mine is not. I'd recommend that she buy for her hair type. She can get this product at many salons, or order it online.

There was also mention of taking a supplement - zinc I believe. I'd recommend talking with her neph and/or dietician before doing that. Better to be safe, is what I always say!

Just fyi - if she is on the transplant list - I had my transplant on Nov 23 2011. I no longer have this issue, and I am so thankful!!!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Subeat

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

You might also check on any prescriptions she may be on.  I was taking metoprolol and noticed my hair loss coincided with the time I started that med.  Sure enough, a little research and I found it was a pretty well known side effect.  I had my neph switch me to another medication and it has improved dramatically.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »

Hi, a lot of meds cause hairloss, also heparine. By the way I'm on HD, and a while back hep was changed (Fresenius) to Innohep (Tinzaparine) which is supposed to be better for the few hairs I have left. O yeah, I'v bought some not expensive wigs which make me very,very happy (okay it's winter, don't know yet what to do in summer)

good luck Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Marsh

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

My hair started falling out after I started hemo.  One of the techs recommended Dialyvite by Hillstead Pharmaceuticals.  It is non-prescription and I order it from the Hillstead website, very inexpensive.  I noticed a difference in a couple of weeks. 
SteveK87

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  She had heard something about the nioxin so we will give that a try.  She already takes Dialyvite after every treatment and switching the heparin really isn't an option because she clots very easily.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:54:38 AM »

Steve:  If your wife is taking any BP meds, you might ask the doc to switch over to Minoxidil.  It is a BP med with the added benefit of hair growth.   

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »

thank you Looney, I will try that too (i.e. I will ask the Dr) might be a solution for summer.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »

I have the same problem.  IT was decided that it was heparin that was causing the hair loss.  They figured that since I had a line at the time, the amount of heparin I was getting both in the treatment, and when the line was locked, that they should try locking the line with something else.  They used sodium citrate to lock the line, and it seemed to slow.  I don't have a line anymore, but I do find that my hair still falls out, but not in the huge clumps that it used to.  I also use Pantene shampoo and conditioner for fine hair.  It does seem to work ok.  It makes my hair look thicker, until it gets dirty again, then you can see my bald spots.

I wouldn't want to take anything that causes hair growth, unless it was guaranteed to grow on my head.  I have enough facial hair now, thanks

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Gerald Lively

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »

My hair is falling out too.  I have no idea why.  It started when I turned 70.

gl

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »

My hair started out when I turned 30.  At 59, it's long gone.  I don't really miss it.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »

Wow to Gerald, 70 is quite some age isn't it? I don't expect to live that long, but than neither did my hair, that gave up 30 years ago when I was 17. No mystery there though, was caused by chemo. And Riki I thank you for waking up my dopey head, sometimes I'm glad I'm quite slow in doing things that I was going to, and I remember the hair growth of Cyclo A that was everywhere apart from on top of my head. I'll keep the wigs.

love Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Gerald Lively

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »

73 actually.  Born before WWII, late in the Great Depression.  Yep, I am an old fart.

gl

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »

I lost a lot of hair in the beginning of dialysis. Chunks of my hair were on the tiled floor of the hospital. I was horrified. Renal failure and the heparin will cause it. I was mortifiied needless to say. I would say for at least 5-6 months of dialysis everytime I combed my hair the hair brush would have lots of hairs in it. However, it is not near anything like that anymore. I'm sure over time, it will not be as bad.

I'm actually surrprised for the amount of hair I lost with renal failure and the heparin that I didn't go bald. I'm pretty happy about that.

Yeah, I'd check first about meds that cause hair to grow cuz I know for myself, I would like grown more facial hair       ::)    And that, I don't want more of either.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »

I was the one who suggested zinc.  It was suggested to me by one of my fellow patients when I was in-center.  It did seem to help, at least my hair stylist seemed to think so.  She has been fabulous at finding ways to cut my hair to mask some of the hair loss as it seems to be most visible around my hairline.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

thanks Cattlekid, I will try the zinc, sounds save enough to me, and might improve my non-existent libido too, I read somewhere. 2 good reasons might get my but in gear.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »

Unfortunately for my husband, I cannot attest to the second part of your comment.   :P

thanks Cattlekid, I will try the zinc, sounds save enough to me, and might improve my non-existent libido too, I read somewhere. 2 good reasons might get my but in gear.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

Oh no, I hope it does work for my hair than. Will have to keep looking for the libido part, I'll keep you informed.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Emerson Burick

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »

What is causing this for my wife?  She does the home hemo 5 days a week and she has been loosing hair more and more noticeably.  Almost everyday she can comb it and have a chunk in the comb.  I did a search here and some said its the heparin?  Any remedies such as supplements or foods to help prevent it?  The heparin is a must for her because she clots very easily.  Any ideas?

Chunks of my hair fell out the month I started CAPD. Two years later they haven't grown back. I know it's not heparin, because I don't use it. The consensus of my doctors (GP, nephrologist, and dermatologist) seems to be that that shock of dialysis caused it to happen and one of these days it might grow back. I'm not holding my breath.

The first six months after it happened I shaved my head, but you could still see where it fell out, so I stopped bothering. Now I just keep my hair as short as it ever was and it has holes in it. I like to think that it keeps people from sitting too close to me on the train.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »