I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:38:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysisatsea
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysisatsea  (Read 2293 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »

:yahoo;  Has anyone ever taken a trip with these people?  I'm considering a 2 week trip to Hawaii Feb. 17, 2013.  It costs about $5K to start for two people, in just an ordinary cabin, and then they add $4,025 for the two weeks of dialysis.  And that's dialysis for just one person, by the way.    It cost over $2K extra for an ocean view cabin (per person) , and $3,040 extra (that's per person) for a balcony cabin.  A suite would probably cost more than a Trump tower. 
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:11 AM »

Yikes. I know I don't have that kind of money.
Trikkechickk

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »

Whamo,

I've taken 3 Dialysis at Sea cruises.  Just back from cruising the Panama Canal for two weeks.  Yes, the prices are close.  Same amount for D.  I got a balcony room.  Decided I'm tied down enough so went with it. 

Last summer I took the North Baltic Cruise (not offered this summer) and it was an awesome cruise.

Also did Mexico a few years ago.

What I like about D @ Sea is the convenience;  the nurse and staff listen to your needs - they don't want to
challenge you while on vacation.  It's a light hearted routine.  Also, I like the beds vs the "chair".  We never dialysize at days in Port

It's expen$ive, but the fees also pay for Doctor and nurses rooms, (they pay own transportation), dialysis machine transportion, etc.

The only challenge I had was eating - cruise ship food tends to be salty.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »

I've heard as far as cruises go that offer dialysis that the person accompanying the person who is on D, has a higher rate.    Maybe I'm wrong, that's what someone told me.....perhaps its just with certain cruise lines.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »

Wouldn't that be illegal to charge the non dialysis person more money since the charge would be for the fact that the other person is dialysing?  Think that would be ib breach of disability Act?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »

I'm not sure, I could be totally wrong. Don't quote me on that, I'm really not sure.

I kinda wondered myself       ???

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »

I've heard that Medicare or personal insurance will not pay for dialysis while on the cruise ship???  Is that right?  So this would be out of pocket?

Well, I do have a Mega Million ticked for tonight's drawing.   :yahoo;

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, Trick.  The basic charges for the cruise are the same for dialysis and non-dialysis guests, but the dialysis costs extra.  If I wasn't on dialysis I'm sure I could find a much better deal. 
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:59:22 AM »

Whamo, if you can afford it, go for it.  You lucky person.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »