I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question  (Read 2927 times)
tiredandthirsty

« on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Hi all,

i have a rather embarrassing question for the learned and experienced folks in here.  I get really gassy sometimes after the treatment.  i mean it HURTS!  i do eat lunch before i go to the clinic.  so it's not like i am on empty stomach.  after a LOT of involuntary (sort of) air release from the front orifice as well as the back, it finally starts to feel normal. after quite a while.  and i am miserable until this happens.

anyone else have this issue?  anything i can do?  sorry if this is tmi.  but it is the truth after all :-)
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »

I have been doing dialysis for 4 years and, between the meds and treatment, have bad gas. Quick trip to the restroom before leaving the center gets me home okay.  :2thumbsup;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

What form of dialysis are you doing? 

I know when I get out of the chair after 3 and 3/4 of an hour, I am pretty gassy. I burp immediately when my chair comes forward. And, afterwards, I toot a lot.  It's like all that gas is pent up in me when I'm reclined in that stupid chair. Once I stand, oh boy, I have to be careful. It's embarrassing!         :sir ken;

I think its also medication. Lots of different kinds of meds can make you gassy. Renagel and my high blood pressure med causes a lot of gas.

Check your meds.....you could be on some meds that might make you gassy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:54:56 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »

hi thanks for the prompt responses.

i am on in centre hemo.  week and a half old now.  so pretty new to dialysis. 

i am pretty much on the same meds as i have been for most of my life.  except for phos lo, which i started taking a while before i started d.  before dialysis, i was not having this issue.  but it has cropped up now.  do you lot think eating something mid way might help?  i don't do any snacking or anything while on the machine.  i don't even feel like taking a sip of water they keep it so cold in there. 
iketchum

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »

I am on phos binders as well, I need to use Doucosate to help 'unbind' me from the binder.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

I snack half way through my treatment and it doesn't make a difference at all.

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »

hmm..seems like this "airy" gift is inevitable.  bloody heclll.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

I know      :(

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »

Me, I fart like a clydesdale!

Galvo
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

My wife calls me stinkbug.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »

You guys crack me up pun intended!       :rofl;        :sir ken;

tiredandthirsty

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »

HAH...this thread is taking an entertaining direction.   ;D
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »

I agree.

I love a good laugh      :rofl;       :rofl;    God knows today I sure needed one!         ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:03:14 PM by Cordelia » Logged

tiredandthirsty

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »

i am on the machine right now and i have already let off a few good ones.  hopefully no one has heard anything.  it helps that i am kept in a separate room by myself.  but its a double edged sword because if it is a stinker, the bloody thing lingers forever....
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »

:rofl;     :rofl;     :rofl;    You kill me.   I'm laughin' my     :sir ken;      off here.     I'm in  a private room when I'm on D too.  Thank God.    That's just ONE of the reasons why I chose to be in a private room so that I don't have to worry about er hum 'others' hearing my gassiness.         :secret;

I love that my room has a toilet station too.    When I need to pee, they just lower my pump speed on the machine and push my machine over so that I can get up and use the facilities      :rofl;
I'm the only one in my unit that stays attached to the machine when using the toilet!

I wouldn't trade my room for anything!!!!       ;D    I may be isolated from others but at least I don't have to worry about people hearing my bodily noises!     :rofl;
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:20:45 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »

I don't have the issue of farts on PD, but I certainly do belch a lot! I guess I'm fortunate that all my gas seems to be in the upper end of the GI tract  :rofl;

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »

Cordelia:  toilet station in the room!!! you are lucky.  i have no such thing in this glass room i am kept in.  i am quarantined in this room.  i even get the older tv.  everyone outside has a newer, bigger tv whereas i get stuck with a box.  i should be grateful that it works.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:02 AM »

LOL on the belching Joe. I'm covering my mouth hiding a burp when my chair comes up from the reclining position. I often wonder if a lot of the gas is from being reclined in the dialysis chair     :rofl;

LMAO! TAT, hehehe yes, I'm super lucky I have a toilet in my room.      ;D     Luckily too, I've only been kicked out once when someone came back from a trip away from the unit and had to be quaranteened, they kicked me out for two days. I hated not being in my room.  They put me in another room with a bed and I must admit, I cannot lie down for dialysis. I have to sit, its too hard on my back if I'm lying down for my treatment. Drove me nuts! LOL     

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »