I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 09:32:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Length of training
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Length of training  (Read 4263 times)
big777bill

« on: February 07, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

How much training time did everyone get for NxStage. My center says that you need at least 5 days a week for 1 month before they allow you start doing home hemo. Does that sound about right? I won't be using needles at first. I will use a catheter for training until my fistula is ready for action. That is most likely at least 3 months away. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:15:49 PM by big777bill » Logged

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »

I've known people who have needed more time and others who have needed less.  What you've been told is probably about right, but what is important is that they will not send you home until they (and you) feel confident and ready.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »

I had three weeks.  I was ready to go home after the first week and a half.  By the end of the first week, I was setting up the machine by myself.   By the end of the second week, the staff was just there in case of problems.  I started with a catheter.  At the end of the third week, we were establishing the buttonholes.  My training nurse came to my house every day for another week to finish establishing my buttonholes.  She realized that I work and she wanted to make it easy on me since I only took three weeks off for the training (we thought I would be able to start using my fistula two weeks earlier than I was allowed to do). 

I will admit that I am an EXTREMELY fast learner.  Show me something once and I am likely to retain it.  This skill really paid off when it came to the NxStage training.  Just remember though, even if you are still somewhat apprehensive when you go home, NxStage and your training nurse are just a phone call away.  The folks at NxStage are totally patient and helpful, even if you call them late at night like I do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »

Cattlekid, you're just too clever by half.   :clap;  Three weeks!  Oh, I'm going to shoot for that!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »

Bill, it was 3 weeks training and 1 week at home with nurse there for us!  They will let you know when you are ready, so don't think about how long, just listen and learn from them. When you do finally get home and use to it, you will find NxStage Tech support VERY VERY helpful.  They know this machine inside & out and live and breathe All things NxStage. They are wonderful and they are there 24 hrs 7 days a week.  Clinic is not.  So learn when you get home to use them.  They have given me some pointers too, that Clinic never knew!

You will be fine,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

Our training was supposed to be three weeks, but the first day I was successful cannulating my husband I also came down with a MRSA infection in a hang nail. That took 2 weeks to clear up and I could not use my hand....

The nurse was at our house only one day.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »

Fiur weeks for me, all of it in my home and all done by the Charge nurse of my unit.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »

You people must me smarter than me, LOL.  I am just starting my third week.  Got the machine set up down and working the pure flow pretty well, just still not comfortable without help self cannulating.  I wont be getting to be on my own till the 27th when the nurse will come watch us hook up at home to make sure we are ok in the home setting.  Seems like that have a set training schedule.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »

We were 3 weeks and though i wanted to get home, i was still terrified and almost begged to stay.   :embarassed:  I have (yea still do, except for the D needles lol) a phobia for needles, and, have anxiety issues to start with,  and that blocks your thinking and i so feard that it would interfier and to a point it did :(   .. Also, having ocd is what the ole "monk" sais is a blessing and a curse,,, well, thats very true.  I was extreamly thorough and they kept saying,,,, "boy, you sure are by the book"  lol  I was soooooooooooooooo weard and questioned questioned questioned, but hey, i got it and i got it good  :2thumbsup;  Sooooooooo, even me, with my own issues got through it and am so happy that i did.  (course being so stubborn was a help as well,, or should i say determined) I was very disapointed in my 'trainer' as she came on our first day home, watched me cannulate, sat for 45 min, and split, leaving me to my own devices.  Guess she had more faith in me than i did because i was not happy about that.  I LOVE tech support!!  USE THEM freely.  They are so wonderfully kind and helpful..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »

ESRD if you are not comfortable with anything, then you are the smart one!  Don't go till you are satisfied.  Much smarter to be safe then to get home and get all frustrated.  That tends not to be a good thing.  Take your time and perfect it!

You will be self-cannulating like a pro before long.
Best wishes in your trainings! You won't be sorry either!
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
JohnJ

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »

3 weeks. One plus was that I established my button holes myself in the clinic.
The other plus was that I was a medic in the Army. Prior training made the whole process very simple to understand.

And in the end. The love you take.
Is equal to the love ... you make.
The Noob

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »

7 days of training. 11 to 3.
second day we set it all up and were ready to go, nurse was late.
she came home with us for one treatment.
we had one really rough day in the beginning. she came and helped next day.
i didn't wait for the ok to go home. i said, we're ready, gas is too high and we can't be here anymore.
we were doing it ourselves with no help by the 4th day. 7 mins to set up, couple mins to stick and hook up,
5 min tear down and wipe machine.

biggest help: husband 26 yr veteran paramedic, could get a line in the dark.
me emt and stna.
biggest motivator: gas prices, long days at center, dh felt like crap.
nurses just wanted me out of there because i watched everything like a hawk, motivated others to do so,
didn't take no carp.
before all this 2+ years ago, i was a nice person. today i am "all business". i've caught too many mistakes over this time due to rushing, carelessness and someone thinking they can push us around.
docs love me. i cherish them.
dkay42

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »

Two months in and we are home yet. Setting up machine is going okay. Hubby wants to stick himself, but his fistula has been acting up. He won't let me try. He is very nervous and jumpy, so I'm pretty much scared to try. I think I could do it, but not sure how I'll take it if he gets really upset.

Debbie Craig, home hemodialysis care partner
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »