I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:18:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Buttonhole in the UK
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buttonhole in the UK  (Read 3674 times)
AlasdairUK

« on: February 10, 2007, 05:16:28 AM »

Does anybody know of anyone or any centre that uses the buttonhole in the uk with blunt needles?

I'm looking into using this method, but my hospital can't just go ahead and perform a "new" technique without getting ethical approval, just in case anything goes wrong.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
renal30yrs

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:15:05 AM »

Buttonhole has been widely in continental Europe (over 30 yeas in places like Poland). Its raher surprizing to see non widespraed buttonhole use in Britain.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »

If they don't have blunt needles I don't know how you would be able to even establish your own buttonholes even if you are in a unit that doesn't do it. But maybe you can talk to someone and start something up? I don't know.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
AlasdairUK

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »

My unit has blunt needles, but is not allowed to use them until they get ethical approval. I was trying to find another unit within the UK that has applied for ethical approval otherwise it will take my unit about six months to apply and be granted permission.

The UK seems to frown upon the idea of using the buttonhole even though the practice has been around for some time.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »

My unit has blunt needles, but is not allowed to use them until they get ethical approval. I was trying to find another unit within the UK that has applied for ethical approval otherwise it will take my unit about six months to apply and be granted permission.

The UK seems to frown upon the idea of using the buttonhole even though the practice has been around for some time.
A guy in my unit (Canadian HD) didn't want to wait like I did so he just started cannulating himself and establishing his own buttonholes (I just talked to him this past Friday and he told me). So I know it is possible just to do it yourself. The unit might want you to sign some sort of form to release them from responsibility though.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:05:21 AM »

Hi Alasdair,

I checked at my unit, Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary and the nurses that were due to go for training at Glasgow Western haven't been yet.  I have discussed this in some detail at Dumfries and the general opinion is that buttonhole is really to be used with patients that have poor access or do home hemo.  I was considering doing it too but I am self cannulating now and the pain is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

If I hear any more about it I will let you know.  But you are right, it is not very widespread here for some reason.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »