I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hard to know how to feel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard to know how to feel  (Read 2618 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »

I got a call from the tx coordinator this evening about the possibility for a kidney.  I've been on the list for 18 months, and this is the fourth call I've received.  I am on the ECD waiting list, too, hence the number of calls.  I've had two calls (including the one tonight) that were categorized as "high risk" and two that were "regular" ECD, if that makes any sense.

I don't like getting these calls.  They make me feel bad.  Yes, I will probably take my name off the ECD list (it seemed to be a good idea at the time), but I'm on the list to get a kidney, and that means someone else has to die, and I don't think my brain had really let itself go there until tonight.

The potential donor was a 24 year old woman; she was a high risk donor because she had a history of IV drug use.  She had also had juvenile hypertension since the age of 4.  Not only that, but her creatinine was elevated.  I turned down the kidney as I am not that desperate, but it left me feeling terrible for her.  I said to the coordinator that it must be hard for her family, and then I wondered if she even HAD family that cared about her.

I had a call last year about a kidney from a donor who was only 60 years old; she had fallen and hit her head, and it had killed her.  I had another call about a donor who died from a drug overdose; she had been bi-polar.  She had suffered AKI and the surgeon said that that he expected the kidneys to work again once transplanted (didn't sound promising...).  I wondered if she had perhaps committed suicide because of her mental illness.

I so profoundly hate being in this position.  Like I said, I really had not let myself think about it too much, but I can't avoid it anymore.  I know all the spin, but at this moment in time, it doesn't make me feel better.

I don't expect anyone to offer anything by way of advice or solace, but I just wanted to, well, I dunno...maybe just talk about these people so that their existence is documented here.

:'(
Thanks for listening.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:06:24 AM »

I don't think of it as "someone has to die" - it sounds as though their life is being sacrificed so that you can live.
The fact is, people die every day, and it is sad and awful and most of us don't have to think about it unless it's someone we know.
If my body can serve some use after I am done with it, I say hallelujah! I cannot think of a bigger waste than not recycling my body parts, if they are useful to someone.
I agree, however, that they ECD cases are hard to take, and maybe taking a break from that option would be a good thing.
I hope you get a call that leads to your miracle. And I think the family who says yes to donating their loved ones kidney will have some peace knowing that the death resulted in some good.
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »

I know you're right, Okarol, and I tell myself these same things because I know they are true.  But I still feel sad about it, you know?  24 is too young to die.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
ToddB0130

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »

MooseMom --- I totally get how you're feeling and I have that feeling often too (even more so about a potential living donor and what that sacrifice might mean to the rest of their life, etc)

Without even thinking about the organ donation part of the equation, so many deaths are just tragic (whether a younger person or someone who passed in some type of accident).  I feel the same sometimes when I read introductions of new members to this board and see people in their early years going through dialysis, etc.  Just makes me very sad.

Do you have a Gift of Life organization near you ?  If so,  it might help to attend one of their meetings and meet up with family members of donors,  as well as recipients.   A woman who works for me lost her 30 year old daughter and they decided to donate her organs.   She finds a lot of solace in knowing that so many other people have been helped from this decision and she has maintained contact with a number of donors as well.  She's very active in that organization and meeting other families and recipients has been very good for her.

It can seem kind of 'morbid',  I guess ... but truthfully,  as with living donors .... lots of people make the choice to become donors "if something should happen to them" and some families feel it's a way to not only help others, but keep their loved one "alive" in a sense.  For those of us in need,  it's a good thing and I try to be more grateful that there are people willing to donate.  You're right to feel mournful about the circumstances that create the opportunity to receive the gift though .... totally understandable.

As okarol indicated,  maybe getting of the ECD list for now might be better for you for awhile.   By the way,  FOUR calls after 18 months on the list ?  Wow.  I'm soory they 'haven't been the right ones' ....but your time is definitely coming.   I really do hope your gift arrives before you need to start D.  That would be so awesome !!

No day but today
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

I don't know. It's tough. For me, it's not so much knowing that someone died. It's trying to figure out what the right decision is: should I take this kidney? If it makes you feel too bad, you can ask for no ECD calls but it doesn't stop all the high risk calls. But none of these people died because of anything you did. If you benefit that's ok.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »

Moosemom, at the end of March the NKF of Illinois is holding their Transplant seminars for pre and post patients. You can talk to others who maybe in your situation,on dialysis, who have had a transplant, and doctors. At the end of the seminars (4 multiple choice ones to choosae), there is a 30 min question and answer with a transplant doctor, nurse, coordinator. There are also boths from vendors, organizations, and various transplant clinics (good for comparing and asking questions). I was sent an email by the NKF when and where it is if you are interested in going.
NKFI one line[/t][/t]
Save the Date for

Living With Transplantation

Saturday, March 31, 2012

8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Marriott Chicago O'Hare
8535 W. Higgins Rd.
Chicago, IL 60631

Keynote Speaker:
Rich RamirezStand-Up Comedian & Liver Recipient

Transplant candidates, recipients, donors, chronic kidney disease patients and their caregivers are encouraged to attend this annual educational program. Come meet other patients, network with professionals from the transplant and dialysis fields and receive up-to-date information from experts on topics like:
  • Insurance Issues and Transplant
  • How to Get Listed for a Transplant
  • Treatment Options for Chronic Kidney Disease
  • Get Fit!
  • Medications Update
The cost to attend is $10, which includes parking, continental breakfast, sit-down lunch and all program materials.

Registration information to follow soon. In the meantime, please contact Jessica MacLean at (312) 321-1500 x226 with questions.
[/t]

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:17:21 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

Chris, thanks so much for that!  I think I'll try to go.

Mr. B 123

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »

MM,

My 23 year old nephew died 2 years ago from head injuries he received from a bad car accident, while it was very hard for the family, he decided to donate his organs.  This was the one bright spot in what was a horrible week for the family, the fact that his organs helped over 20 people continue on with their lives.  Out of death comes life, treat it as a gift from God.

Honor God, work hard, and keep show'in up.
Philippians 4:4-7
janetetal

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

What's ECD?

Thanks

Take care

Deb
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »

Janetetal :Extended Criteria Donor

MooseMom, no problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:35:37 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »

I used to feel bad regarding someone passing away to (potentially) give me an organ. Like karol says though it's not quite the right way to look at it. I had to turn that one around to remind myself that this GENEROUS person and family decided to "pay it forward" if you will, and make the choice to donate. That is a wonderful gift!!! It's not like ANYONE has wanted anyone to die, or that I have had anything to do with it, but they made the choice that if they could help others they would. How could I deny such a selfless gift to people they wouldn't know. When that call came for me sure, I felt sad that someone had passed, but sadly, that would be one of many that day, and one who decided to do something positive. Every day I have free of D thanks to this gift is so important to me, and I often think of that donor, whoever they were, and their family and friends.

And as I've related a few times, prior to surgery I was told the kidney may not be in great shape, so was "high risk" in its own way (and they wouldn't or couldn't tell me anything re HIV or CMV status or anything so all those "questions to ask" became kind of useless :( ). So I had to make a choice while lying there outside the OR as to what to do. I had to wind up trusting the tx team to make the right choices for me. And so far, a year later, they have :)

The  other thing I felt bad about when I was waiting for a tx was the split second after hearing about a big accident or something - when I would instantly wonder if there would be any donors from the incident. The worst time was when I was sitting in D and there was a horrible train crash and I think 17 or 18 people died in it. My first thought was "wow there could be a few donors.." and then instantly felt absolutely selfish and horrible (and let's face it, the chances of any body in such a situation being in a state to donate would be small) but I felt so bad about that. I know it's a normal reaction but I know I felt wretched for think of myself ahead of all those peoor people and their families/friends etc.

Your feelings are quite normal MM and perhaps removing yourself from the ECD list is a good idea. I can understand why you said yes in the first  instance - it would seem like a good idea for sure. It's a tough call because there could be a borderline kidney that you may feel it is worth taking the chance on.

Hang in there.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »

Thanks for that, Richard.  I appreciate your reply.

Since I am on the ECD list, whenever I have received a call, the coordinator has given me a great deal of information about the donor so that I can make an informed decision.  I wouldn't have it any other way, and I am grateful for all of the information that is presented.  At the same time, I probably know more about these potential donors than I would if these donors were "standard" donors.  You want lots of information, but the downside is that you get a better idea of who these people were when they were alive.  Sorry...it's late, and I may not be making too much sense.

I am currently being evaluated for the list up in Wisconsin as my neph recommended I be double listed.  It so happens that where I live, it is just as easy for me to get to Wisconsin (probably easier) than to get into Greater Chicago, so for me, this makes sense.  I am about to send all of my test results to their coordinator, and if I don't have to have any further testing, I still have to travel there to be interviewed by everybody they can round up, it seems!  lol.  If they accept me onto their list, I will then remove myself from the ECD list, but until then (and in case for some reason they reject me), I'll stay on it for now.  But yes, I do think I should remove my name as soon as I am comfortable doing so.

Whenever I see people riding their motorcycles without wearing a helmet, I think "organ donor".  Is that naughty?

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »

Every December 7th I think about a family out there who is missing a family member...can't help it...... :cuddle;  I just honor their life by living well and giving back to humanity in someway....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »