I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:28:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Nephrologist Referred Me For Transplant #5!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nephrologist Referred Me For Transplant #5!  (Read 3033 times)
Krisna

« on: February 03, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »

I got the paperwork yesterday but the Organ Transplant Clinic is still waiting for approval from my insurance.   :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

I still have to finish having my teeth pulled.  But my doctor agreed that I should get started anyway.  There is so much to do!  But I got the paperwork to fill out!  Of course I'm gonna have to enclose a list of all my surgeries since my last transplant.  The should already have all my records from 1998 back.  Since that is where I had the last 2 transplants.  I also had my very first transplant at the same hospital!  For those who don't know, my dad gave me a kidney when I was 8 yrs old.  Feb. 27, 1980.  Tomorrow Feb. 4th is the anniversary of the second one.  I got that one in 1989.

I have always had a very common perfect match.  With all three of my cadaveric 6 antigen perfect match transplants the clinics got multiple calls for me after I'd already accepted one.  By perfect match I mean not only did all 6 antigens match but all the antibodies did as well!  Which means it is less likely to reject right away.

When a blood transfusion was necessary, I have always been adamant about only getting blood without white blood cells so that my antibodies would stay the same.

FYI - My last 3 kidneys failed for different reasons.  Number 2 failed because I quit taking my meds for about 6 months when I was 19.  Yes, I told the transplant clinic abt it before they put me on the list for the third one.  It was a different clinic from the second.  I was honest abt it and they listed me.  I was 23 by then and had been with my hubby, John for 2 yrs.  Number 3 had to be removed due to infection.  Number 4 rolled onto its artery cutting off all blood supply for several hrs before ultra sound discovered it.  I was rushed back to surgery and it was saved but permanently damaged!  So, it wasted fluid and electrolytes.  But the 3rd yr I couldn't drink enough to keep up so I would end up in the hospital with dehydration and electrolyte imbalance every 2 wks or so. 

That has a lot to do with why I have waited so long to go for another transplant!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »

WOW!  :yahoo;

I know you must be feeling a bit excited. I hope the wait is short.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Krisna

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »

WOW!  :yahoo;

I know you must be feeling a bit excited. I hope the wait is short.

Aleta

Thanks!  I am excited.  I have been on dialysis since Sept. 6, 2002.  I was the one who wanted to wait this long.  Really didn't think I'd ever want another one but I am getting sick on dialysis and there are only 2 ways off dialysis and I'm not ready to die.  So that just leaves a transplant!  I have things I have to do before I will be able to have a transplant, I'm in the process of having all my teeth pulled.  But all 3 of my cadaveric transplants were recieved after short waits.  The one in 1989 I was only listed for a couple months and had been on dialysis for 5 months.  The 3rd one I was on the list for abt a yr and a half.  I had gotten called for 2 before that but my white count was too high for me to get it.  And the last one I was only on the list for abt 6 months. 

I've lived with End Stage Renal Disease since Nov. 1979!  And most people can't tell I'm on dialysis!

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »

Out of interest, why do they want you to have your teeth removed?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Brightsky69

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »

Wow five!! :laugh: I am on my 2nd transplant. You have to be one tough cookie.  :2thumbsup;
I hope this kidney works for you years and years and years and years and years and some more years.  ;D

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Krisna

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »

Out of interest, why do they want you to have your teeth removed?

15 years of low Calcium damaged the enamel and a fear of dentists caused them to all gone bad.  Too far gone to fix.  I've already gotten the right hand side done. 

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »

Wow five!! :laugh: I am on my 2nd transplant. You have to be one tough cookie.  :2thumbsup;
I hope this kidney works for you years and years and years and years and years and some more years.  ;D

Thanks!  I hope it does too!  Everyone tells me I'm tough but I don't know.  I've just been doing this for a long time!  32 yrs last November!  I've lived 10 yrs longer than predicted by doctors when I was first diagnosed!

Hickman
Traveller1947

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:06:42 AM »

All the best to you, Krisna!
Krisna

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »

All the best to you, Krisna!

Thanks!

Hickman
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »