I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Dying after a transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dying after a transplant  (Read 3452 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: January 09, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »

there are people I keep hearing about who are not on any of these formns who have died after a transplant. Now Im somewhat scared because if Im doing ok on dialysis, if I get a transplant, am I going to die?

First, look at Karen547, she was young, and months after she got a transplant, she died.

A woman my mom worked with her husband had ESRD, got a transplant, and months later he was on a coma and died.
Did fine on dialysis and then died after a transplant.

My friends dad died earlier in 2011. He actually went to my center. He did really well years on PD, and a week after he got a transplant, died.

Is this what is going to happen to me too??? And what causes people to get a transplant and then die?

Lisa

EDITED: Moved to proper section Transplant Discussion - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:03:06 AM by Sluff » Logged

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
big777bill

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:21:06 AM »

Any type of transplant is radical surgery and there are many things that could go wrong. A very good friend of mine had a liver transplant 2 years before I got mine. He died just short of 6 months post-op. I was scared to death that the same would happen to me. I looked at the overall statistics for liver transplant survival. The odds were very much in my favor. Did this mean that I no longer had any fear? No not at all. I was still worried but not as much. I had spent many hours with my friend riding our Harleys, bar-be-ques at each others house, just being around each other all the time. These people you mention in your post were known to you so that makes it that much more real to you. The stats are what they are though and that is highly in your favor for survival from a kidney transplant. With that said there is always the possibility that something could go wrong. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
ToddB0130

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »

Also. the same rule applies to dialysis.  There are many long term survivors on dialysis and many who do not survive nearly as long.  Certainly in every situation, age and other medical conditions can play a factor in survival as well.

No day but today
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »

Dear, dear Lilluppie I think lots of us here understand your fears, but what the previous writers write is really true, nobody is a statistic, so the best thing you can do is think that its probably going to be okay. The chance you die on dialysis are statistically higher than dying with a transplant. I'v had a transplant when I was young  :bandance; and now on D for 14 yrs, and doing okay on that But I would sooooooo much want a transplant. Just live by the day, good luck girl

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Zog

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »

My grandmother died a few months after getting a kidney transplant in 1982.  Her immune system was so suppressed that she got an intestinal infection that meant the removal of several feet of intestines.  She didn't recover from that operation.  She felt pretty bad for a few months beforehand but thought it was a new normal.  It wasn't.  Meds have come a long way since then, but you still have to watch out for infections.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:23 AM »

My husband died after a little less then 3 years on dialysis......did not make it to transplant....he got pneumonia after  yet another fistula surgery. So you never know- I think his chances of survival would have been much better with a transplant.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »

I worry about this, too, but figure the numbers are in my favor. Statistically, isn't it about 99% of people who do fine afterwards? Things can go wrong, sure. It makes me glad in a way that transplant centers are such *sses about pre-transplant testing and some of their requirements. Sure they're doing it for their own benefit to make their statistics look good, and in some cases they go overboard and are control freaks about things they shouldn't control, but it gives me a sense of greater confidence that they wouldn't touch me if they thought I wouldn't be in the 99% of people who would do well.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »

Lisa,

Surgery of ANY kind is a risk. Transplant is a risk for live donors. But one must truly look at the over-all statistics and understand that they represent the big picture.

Those of us on this forum know so many folks who have had successful transplants! But it is the unsuccessful ones that stand out.

It is wise to consider all options. But don't let fear paralyze you.

:cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
coravh

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

I agree with Aleta. Every surgery (even cosmetic) is a risk. People die after liposuction. That is why they test you 6 ways from Sunday to make sure you are as healthy as you can be pre-transplant. Basically, the life expectancy stats are much better for transplant patients than for dialysis patients. But you can't go by stats. Some folks live wonderfully well for decades on dialysis, others do not fare well. I have had my new kidney for over 9 years and wouldn't hesitate to have another surgery. I was dying on dialysis. I'm sorry you know so many that didn't make it. I know many transplant patients and all were fine. Some rejected sooner than others, but all survived well. Try not to let fear of the unknown stop you from making a decision.

Cora
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »

Is this what is going to happen to me too??? And what causes people to get a transplant and then die?

I nearly didn't make it through mine.  It's a huge surgery, and it comes with some huge risks - just like any surgery.  As for what causes it - the list of possibilities is pretty endless, although I'd guess infections are probably a huge part of it, thanks to the immunosuppresants. 

Again, it's a treatment for ESRD, not a cure.  It comes with risks, just like dialysis.  There's no way to answer the question about if it's going to happen to you too.  It might, and it might not.  Plenty of D patients refuse to take the risk because they prefer the risks they already are familiar with on D.  You have to decide if you are willing to risk it.  If it works, the rewards are wonderful. 

Personally, I think if you aren't scared of the risks, then your doctors haven't done a good job of telling you about the realities of transplants.  A little fear is a good thing - it makes you cautious with your health and makes you protective of your transplant.  But don't let it paralyze you.  Consider the risks and the benefits and make an informed decision that's best for you. 

And remember, if you get on the list, but aren't mentally ready to take that risk when the call comes - you can turn it down.  But there's no harm in getting on the list and accruing wait time until then.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »

I was in a similar situation as you but different roles...When i was on D i felt several times that i seen "the light"when my BP would drop so low that i would pass out so the tech could "pause"the D machine the slam me full of saline to "bring me back"and I also learned not to make friends at the center as i made them they would die,I  would ask my tech that day ..How is Mr or Mrs so and so? The reply... they passed  yesterday!! This went on for a bit until i lost 4 friends i said no more. after that i kept to myself and done my time until tx..Like previous post don't worry about stuff you have no control over....God Bless!!

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
KraigG

I feel like I'm on the Dark Side of The Moon.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »

I think a lot has to do with your health when you have your transplant. I was in my early 30s, and even though I was diabetic, I was in fairly good health. My kidney lasted 21 years. I had ups and downs, but I ran a company, raised two kids, travelled the world, and rode Harleys.

The kidney is long gone now, and I'm in my 50s. I don't want to risk it now.

First bout on dialysis: June, 1990
Kidney/Pancreas transplant: August, 1990
Pancreas removed (hospital error): January, 2001
Kidney fails: August, 2011
Second round of dialysis: August, 2011
lawphi

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

As to death after a transplant, it could be infections, cmv and other health issues.  For every handful that die, the majority live.

Johns Hopkins released a study regarding life span on dialysis.  1/3 of dialysis patients are alive after 8 years.  My husband already showed signs of heart issues after 1 year on hemo.  9 months post transplant, his heart has returned to normal. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »

That's so good to hear Lawphi!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

Carl goes in for his 1 year check-up tomorrow.  :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lawphi

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

Hope Carl gets a great report!  Who would have thought how much our lives have changed in the past year.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »