I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  hard, peeling skin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hard, peeling skin  (Read 3679 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »

ok,
 I started dialysis in Oct. 2007. By December 2009 my hands were so dry that they were peeling.

Now why am I still able to peel layers of skin off of my feet and hands. It starts off as a hole in my skin. It looks like a open blister. And after it peels it goes back to being hard, very hard skin. I dont get it. I have been to several dermatologists. I get Urea creams and other creams. I get more creams then I do oral renal meds. Then my hands and feet itch. I cant even sleep at night because they itch so bad.
Has anyone ever had  this.

BTW, My PHOS is in NORMAL range. Never been above 5.5.

Thanks,
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »

I have bad skin too.  I too have been to the dermatologist.  I just keep soaking myself in creams and lotions.  I don't have any answers.

For my feet the foot doc said to lather, I mean plaster my feet with cream and then put plastic grocery sacks over them and then socks and sleep that way.  I've tired it but ended up throwing them off about 2 in the morning.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

I am so sorry to learn of your problem, Lisa,  and I sympathize greatly with the difficulty.

I had it once for a short time and I rubbed-in baby-oil after washing myself with soap under the shower
and I put on more cream during the day as a back-up.

I thought it was due to a Lupus-flare-up because I knew another Lupus-patient with similar symptoms.

But I had to be careful in the shower because the baby-oil made it a bit slippery.

Good luck from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Lowilson

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »

Omg!!  I just started dialysis a month ago an the same exact thing is happening to me. I feel like a reptile. It starts with bubbles of skin and then holes. Majorly annoying. I asked the pharmacist and  he recommended a expensive lotion which I purchased I will post name late I do not have bottle, I will let u know if works because it was expensive.  I hope this will not happen on my face. Let me know if you come with solution.

Lori
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

yes, yes, this is exactly what Im talking about. I never had it before dialysis. Let me know if you get the name of that lotion.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
JeanieSpokane

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »

I, too, have experienced terrible skin.  I call it "winter" skin - but it's all the time.  It's just easier to cope with mentally when it's winter. :)  I am itching too.  I've slathered myself with anti-itch cream, heavy-duty moisterizer, baby oil.  Nothing is working.  And my dialysis site is the absolute worst.  Really hard, scaly, and rough.  It itches so bad that I have little red marks where I scratched myself at night.  The techs sometimes have trouble deciding which spot is the right spot.  Let us know the name of the cream - maybe we can buy in bulk and share.  (Just kidding)

Jeanie
Started dialysis 9/30/2009
Started buttonhole 5/5/2011
Go to garage sales, pile stuff from garage sales to make room for more stuff from garage sales, read books (from garage sales); plan to return same to any garage sale of my choice all at once.
Wildrose

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »

I'm not on dialysis yet so I can't tell you for certain this will work for that kind of dry skin... but I would suggest trying coconut oil. I use real virgin coconut oil for a moisterizer, just rub it in, it can cause 'grease' stains on clothing or bedding so be careful until it is soaked into your skin. Its also a very healthy oil, so its  good for your body to absorb!
Most winters my skin is very dry, but this winter I've been using the coconut oil and I haven't had dry itchy skin yet.

1995 - Diagnosed with 'some kind' of kidney disease during first pregnancy at 16 yrs old due to excess protein in urine
1998 - Biopsy diagnosis of IGA Nephropathy at age 18
2007 - Successful second pregnancy, creatnine of 1.8 something
2009 - Successful third pregnancy creatnine of 2 something
2009-November of 2011 - Somehow went from Creatnine of 2 something to 5.43
November 2011 - Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
3/28/12 - Started Peritoneal Dialysis
5/21/12 - Ended up in hospital for 5 days with PD fluid leaking through hole in diaphragm to right lung
5/25/12 - IJ catheter placed, 5/26/12 - First in center hemo treatment
6/15/12 - Back on PD for three weeks and hemo at same time, 7/7/12 - PD fluid leaked again, off PD and still on hemo, 7/15/12 - on PD again and hemo
7/23/12 - chest xray shows fluid leak again, off PD for one month with possible thoracic surgery in future to fix hole in diaphragm. 5.70 creatnine
8/7/12 - 24 hr urine test shows improved kidney function. 3.47 creatnine - Dr reduced hemodialysis from 3x's to 2xs a week.
Lowilson

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 06:18:23 AM »

The lotion is called AmLactin. I just bought yesterday so I do not yet know if I t is successful but, I will say as a lotion it was non greasy. Especially important when the palms of your hands have bubbles and peeling. I got it at supermarket in lotion aisle. The pharmist said it was really awesome.

I will post my results

Lori
Lowilson

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

Well I can't tell if lotion is working or not yet. The palms of my hands are just a bunch of peeling of skin everywhere. It is extremely annoying!!

I have question for you once the whole palm is completely peeled do you have time before it starts again? This all new to me I just wondering what to expect?
Rain

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »

Wildrose I agree, with you and coconut oil.  I've been using it for a year and love it.  I also just started adding some flax oil to my diet and it has cleared up some redness on my skin.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Riverwhispering

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

I've had a couple of patches of really dry bumpy skin on my arms for quite a few years now and the area around my fingernails have been very dry and splitting so this last week I started to use this stuff I bought it at a store called "The Body Shop" it's Hemp Hand Protector for very dry skin.  I've never found a hand lotion that worked on the dry patches before.  It's amazing stuff and I swear by it now.

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »