I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 08:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Bye-bye gallbladder. Tx center wants it gone.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bye-bye gallbladder. Tx center wants it gone.  (Read 4108 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: December 19, 2011, 07:27:40 AM »

My transplant center told me late Friday afternoon that they want my gallbladder removed. They had me do 6-month follow-up ultrasound after my initial ultrasound showed polyps in my gallbladder. I didn't think it was a big deal since I don't have any symptoms from it. Apparently it can be a big deal. They said that because there are several polyps, and one of them is 1 centemeter in size, it's a future cancer risk. From what I read online, it looks like it's something that should be done even if I wasn't on the transplant list.

I don't think gallbladder surgery will be a big ordeal, will it? It looks like I'll be in/out the same day and back to work in a week. Since I can work from home, I'm thinking I might only need to take a couple of days off work - hopefully schedule the surgery for a Thursday, take Friday off, then work from home a couple of days the following week.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »

About 8 years ago, I had what I thought was a heart attack.  It wasn't until some years later that I realized it was the first of many gallbladder attacks to plague me over the course of 6 -7 years.  My husband had had his gallbladder out many years ago, and his stories were what clued me in that I had a dodgy gallbladder.  OMG, I had the classic, very painful attacks that would lay me low for a couple of horrible hours.

When I went for my transplant eval, they specifically asked about my gallbladder, and I told them I had had trouble.  They told me then that I'd probably have to have it out.  When I went for my ultrasound, yep, there they were...gallstones.  Diagnosis confirmed.  Apparently gallstones are common in CKD patients because of our high cholesterol.

I had my gallbladder removed in May 2010 and, no, it wasn't a big ordeal at all.  I felt really nauseous because of the anesthetic, but I feel that way after any surgery that requires anesthesia.  I feel much, much better, and I'm glad I was required to have it removed.

I hope this helps. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »

Thanks, as always, MM!

Thankfully, I don't have any symptoms. I heard gallbladder attacks are awful! They said I have polyps, not stones. It sounds like they might be different things, but maybe just two names for the same thing? Hmmmm. Time for another web searcy. Regardless, I'll be glad to have it gone since it sounds like a cancer risk. I'm waiting for my neph to call me. I'm hoping she can recommend a surgeon. The transplant center said they'll leave me active on the list until my surgery, then they'll put me on "inactive" during the recovery time. Just a minor blip in the road.

Deanne

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »

I had my gallbladder removed just over 7 years ago. It was an easy surgery, done in an out-patient surgery center. The very next day I went out to dinner with my parents and ate fried chicken! (because I could, and it was gooood!!!) I had built up some sick time, so I was out for a week and a half, then did part time for 2 days (I worked 4 10's at the time, with W/Sat/Sun off) then back to FT the following week. It was an easy recovery.

Hope this helps

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

Thanks Karen  :yahoo;

I was hoping it'd be something like that. I remember a day after I had endometrial surgery I took the dogs for a 1-mile walk and the day after I had a benign salivary gland tumor removed I pruned the bushes in my yard.

Deanne

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »

My gallbladder is gone. Everything went well. Surgery was Thursday and I went home Friday. Yesterday I vacuumed the house, walked the dogs over to the dog park and threw a tennis ball for an hour or two there, went out for a smoothie, and went for a walk with a friend. Today I might go out and pull some weeds in the garden and I'll start solid food again. Tomorrow I'll go back to work. I don't know yet if I'll work from home or if I'll drive in to the office. My written instructions say not to drive for a week, but I didn't get the impression from the verbal instructions that I need to be that restictive. I imagine the restrictions assume pain medications, but I don't really need them. I kept telling people I didn't think it would be a big deal and I'd be back at work by Monday, and it seemed like no one believed me. I'm glad I was right!

Deanne

Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:25:33 AM »

Just curious of those who had their gallbladder removed what effects or body changes have you had since the surgery? My ex, who is my daughters father has not had a job in 5 years 2-3 years ago finally got his gallbladder removed and now he claims he will get disability since the surgery, he cant stay away from the bathroom.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »

Just curious of those who had their gallbladder removed what effects or body changes have you had since the surgery? My ex, who is my daughters father has not had a job in 5 years 2-3 years ago finally got his gallbladder removed and now he claims he will get disability since the surgery, he cant stay away from the bathroom.

Lisa

Lisa - I had my gallbladder removed 7.5 years ago and I don't miss it! I do remember noticing that I would have to rush to the bathroom after eating a tuna Subway (they were the sale sandwich on Fridays back then) but even that went away after a while. I know some people end up having to avoid some foods for that reason (I avoided the tuna sandwiches for a time) but that's all trial and error. I'm sure there are rare cases where people have bigger issues, but I would think that there would be some sort of fix for it? I do know it is the most common surgery done in the US.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Gerald Lively

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »

The worst, most severe pain I have ever felt, was a plugged up gallbladder.  The surgery was a great relief.  I went it at 11 AM and was home to watch the 5 o’clock news.

gerald

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Lindia

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

Lisa

Yes -  this can happen,  its sort of rare, but it happened to a good friend of mine whose an RN.   She was finally put on some medication that helps a lot,  but its been a real trial for her,  always having explosive diahrrea after meals -  if she misses a pill -  its back ....   
Krisna

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »

I had mine taken out last May 5th due to gallstones and severe pain every time I ate!  They also had to open my bile duct because I had a gallstone blocking it!  It hurt but it wasn't the worst pain I've ever had.  That one goes to the time my sm. intestine ruptured and the surgical pain after!  You wanna talk pain, that was the worst in the 32 yrs I have lived with kidney disease!  And I've had a lot of surgeries. 

I'm disabled but not because of the gallbladder removal.  And I can't see any doctor signing off on a disability claim just for that!  I don't miss my gallbladder.  I do have to avoid greasy foods but since I'm 40 so I should probably be doing that anyway!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:17:37 PM by Krisna » Logged

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
coravh

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »

My Mom had her gallbladder out many years ago. 3 days after her surgery a friend dropped by with flowers and my Mom asked what they were for. She had already forgotten about the surgery! So it's not that big a deal except for the anasthetic which often throws people for a loop. Best of luck.

Cora
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »

I had the same thought about flowers. I received three boquets, several phone calls, and was starting to wonder if my friends & family expected me to keel over dead or something. I almost felt guilty about doing so well and depriving people the opportunity to fuss. I'm glad people cared enough to check in on me though. I even had email from my neighbor across the street who didn't know I was having surgery. She noticed lights on in my house at 10 pm and sent me email asking if everything was ok. She knows I'm always in bed by about 8. It was the night I was in the hospital and my petsitter must have been there.

I did yardwork yesterday and am back at work today. I'm working from home, but mostly because I didn't want to get up early enough to drive in, and technically, I'm not supposed to drive for a week anyway. I'll just forget about that drive out yesterday to meet friends for coffee.

Deanne

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »