I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hypothetical Question: Getting the call when close to a living donation....
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical Question: Getting the call when close to a living donation....  (Read 5187 times)
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »

I would go with the cadaver kidney.  I would hate to have anyone go through a operation if they did not have to.  I'd feel bad about taking a kidney away from someone who did not have a living donor, but I'd feel that this was the best decision for myself and my potential donor.

When I was in the hospital getting my transplant, there was a fellow patient who'd gotten a kidney that was not working after several weeks.  I felt bad for both the donor and the recipient.  I'd hate myself If a friend or family member donated a kidney to me that rejected or failed after a short time.  I'd feel they'd gone through a big sacrifice for nothing. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

It might not be so hypothetical. My sister offered to donate, but was rejected/put on hold because her diabetes values were just a tad off. They said they'd retest her if she lost 20 pounds. I figured that was the end of it/that she wouldn't be able to lose the weight. She's has bipolar disorder and is an "instant gratification" type of person. I was already concerned about whether she'd be accepted as a donor or if it would be a good idea for her. I heard she's lost 10 pounds now - halfway there!

At the same time as I learned my sister has started to lose weight, my neph said she thinks I'll be called for a transplant in about 6 months, given the wait time here, my blood type and PRA. If my sister continues her same rate of weight loss, she'll be ready to donate at about the same time my neph thinks I'll be called for a deceased donor transplant. I just have to figure that what's meant to be, will be. I try not to think about it too much right now.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »