I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Question about side effects
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about side effects  (Read 4017 times)
moundtown

« on: March 08, 2007, 01:38:39 AM »

Hello,
I do not know a thing about dialysis. My father, age 82, goes to dialysis three days a week. He feels absolutely terrible after the treatment and most of the next day. He is so tired and sick that he doesn't even want to get out of bed. He is now threatening to stop going for treatments and I'm afraid that's just what he'll do. Isn't there anything that can be done to ease the side effects?

Thanks for any advice.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:17:41 AM »

How long has you father been on dialysis? Please take the time to go to the Introduce yourself thread, Thanks much :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:19:37 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
moundtown

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:10:55 AM »

How long has you father been on dialysis? Please take the time to go to the Introduce yourself thread, Thanks much :)
He has been on dialysis for several years but has been on an at home treatment until the last six months or so. For some reason he is no longer able to use the home treatment and the new treatments at the center are causing bad side effects.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:37:44 AM »

Hello moundtown.

Please go back to the Introduction section and introduce yourself so we can get to know you better. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Thanks

Sluff / Administrator
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:26:01 AM »

Doing what the docs tell him to do will be very helpful in making him feel better on dialysis.  It is really important to follow the renal diet and to watch the fluid restrictions carefully.  It is also very important that the dialysis unit establish his dry weight correctly and that they match fluid removal to it very carefully.  One of the most important things a dialysis patient can do is to try to get good rest every night.  If that is difficult a sleeping medication could help. 

A positive mental state is really important.  He could probably use help getting to the unit, visiting him while he is there is nice, and some fun stuff when he is away from the unit would be nice too.  Hope that helps.
brenda

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »

I have been a home patient for 12 years. I know a few times when I have had to run at the unit, I don't feel the same as at home. I know for the most part it is all in my head, but, I do feel different when there. Livecam is right just making it as pleasant as possible for him can make a big difference. Being out of your comfort zone for some can be very hard. I get real grumpy at the unit.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »

Maybe Grandpa is sick of the entire ordeal.  If he has been doingthis for awhile, it gets tiring and old and hateful.  Talk to him and get to know what he thinks and do NOT add your feelings into the mix.  He may be needing to let it all go.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »