I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anemia treatment, $, and quality of life
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anemia treatment, $, and quality of life  (Read 7076 times)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

Bill, and others,, it seems that the longer i dialysise him, the worse anemic he gets.  I realize it's still only 3hrs 45 min (though over 4 hrs on machine including system checks)  his hemoglobin continues to have issues.  He has no energy and therefore no exercise and now heart function showing these effects.  He still eats good and mostly gets between 70=100 protien per day.  both hemoglobin and album has gone down again :(

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
fearless

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »

Bill, I am glad for you that it has turned out that your kidneys will still produce erythropoetin for you.  And glad your tumor was caught.  It makes it even more self-sacrificing that you would advocate for good anemia management for those of us not so lucky.
Yes, I'm learning that I have LOTS of reading to do.  I'm honestly having some second-thoughts about whether I want to be a self-sacrificing dialysis patient right now.  Maybe a closer balance between self-advocate and patient-advocate is something I could handle more prudently  :)

again, please know that your past efforts, and those on-going, are very much appreciated :thx;
fearless

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

boswife,  most people with ESRD have anemia because the kidneys are not producing enough of the hormone that forms red blood cells.  Also, the environment of un-dialysed blood further degrades the rbcs.  Then, dialysis also destroys the rbcs.  Your husband most likely will need iron and a drug like epogen to help him keep his anemia under control.  If he's doing dialysis at home, his blood values should be checked (once a month or more if he's not stable) and his therapy should be adjusted (dialysis, drugs, whatever)
I'm no doc, but that's what a doc is supposed to address.  If he's not responding to whatever treatment the doc has prescribed, the doc needs to assess the situation and proceed accordingly, in my non-medical opinion
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »