I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  So confused
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So confused  (Read 2247 times)
jeannea
Elite Member

« on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

I got my second call tonight for a kidney. She started out by saying I was primary on this kidney. Only I wasn't. The first person had turned it down. I ended up turning it down too. It was high risk. I don't want to list the reasons it was high risk but it was. The whole thing is so confusing. I want a transplant, I had one before. But every time they call I get this nauseated feeling and I get so confused. I got myself ready to wait 2 years like they said and now it seems like I'm closer to the top of the list than that. I hated having to make the decision tonight so fast. I would have taken time to think about it and weigh my options but you have to decide right then. And I just have never thought about taking a high risk kidney and what that means for me so I said no. And I don't know if I did the right thing or not. I know that turning it down doesn't affect my place on the list or anything. But I still feel ill about the whole thing. I think I'll go to bed and sleep for a long time. Except that Baxter will call in the morning because I need to do my order.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »

It seems natural to have remorse when giving up a potential kidney, even though it was more risk than you're willing to take.
We were asked at the evaluation if Jenna was willing to take ECD kidney, and we said no, so those calls would never have come to her.
 :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
ToddB0130

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »

Sorry you had to go through that.  It must be torture to have the option presented to you and to have to make the decision really quickly.  It's good to know you *are* getting the calls though to have the option.  Your ideal kidney is on its way !!  Best of luck to you.

No day but today
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »

I would ask them if they have the option to not be called/ concidered if a donor is high risk. I was asked if I wanted to be considered for a high risk donor when I decided to go with the transplant centers I had choosen. A simple inquiry can save you torment later.

Don't stress yourself over the decision you made. You made the correct one that best suits you, not them. Your health comes first present and future.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:44:02 PM »

your gut instinct on the high risk kidney is probably a good one in the end, as difficult as it is for you. I would agree that maybe asking to not be called for those kinds of kidneys would be easier on you? it really IS a difficult one. I can't imagine how you feel right now....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »

Oh dear jeannea, this happened to me, too.  I had been on the list for only 2 months.  My mother had just died and I had just returned home from her funeral.  My husband and I were driving out of our driveway for a well needed break in Michigan when my cell rang, and it was the coordinator with an offer of a high risk kidney.  The donor was a 40 year old man who had died in an accident.  What made him high risk was the fact that he was living with his HIV positive girlfriend.  They had practiced safe sex and he had been tested every six weeks.  However, it takes two weeks for results to come back.  This donor had just been tested but the results had not been yet made available, so no one could guarantee he was HIV negative.  I had to make a decision right then and there, and since I am not yet on dialysis, I said no.

I think my tx center makes a distinction between a high risk kidney and an ECD kidney.  I'm sure I got a call about the high risk kidney only because I had agreed to consider ECD kidneys.  My coordinator said that when there is a high risk kidney, the usual rules re waiting time are abandoned and she could offer the kidney to anyone she wanted.  I thought that was interesting.

I have received two calls for an ECD kidney, but I wasn't first in line, so they went to other people.  I happened to be in LV at the IHD meetup, so there was no way I could get back to Chicago in time, anyway.  Everyone asked me if I was upset about this, but I was not.  I am not a creature of faith, but when it comes to getting a kidney, for whatever reason, I just feel that what will be, will be.  Perhaps since it is all so out of my own control, I can't afford to obsess about it.

I do realize, though, that once I actually start dialysis, I may have a very different view on this.

If you are uncertain, then saying no was probably your right choice.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »

agree with MM's last statement.

Incidently I should point out, just to confuse things, with my tx I was told as I was preparing for it that they were not sure what condition it was in and it may not be very good. I asked as many q's as I remmbered if they knew it's CMV status, or drug use of the donor, or HIV+ status etc... not much they could or would tell me... I got the impression that it was an accident vistim of some sort. Anyway they basically put me on the spot a bit as I was waiting outside the OR. Did I want to do it? They said they'd put me under and finally look at it before THEY made a final decision, but given what they'd told me did *I* want to given what I knew so far. I really felt I had to trust their judgement on the kidney when they saw it...  so yeah I did wonder what I might be getting, but when I woke up the surgeon said he looked at it when it came in and it was in a really good shape, and well... a year later so far so good for me and Danny.

I do realise that this is slightly different situation since you clearly had more understanding of the high risk factors that helped your decision making process. I again say if at all having some doubt trusting your gut instinct was probably the right way to go.

i took a bit of a gamble, and so far it's paid off. Your situation was different and you made a choice. It doesn't mean it was right, or wrong.. a choice... all i can offer is that if you are comfortable with the decision you made, and I agree saying no when you're unsure, concerned about the risk factors etc, and given the first person had also turned it down shows you're not the only one with misgivings, then while it may be difficult to swallow and be easily comfortable with the choice... it was probably the best one for you.

A much better match will come your way - I am certain of it!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
big777bill

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:52:29 AM »

I'm still fairly new to CKD and don't know all of the terminology. What do you all mean by ECD kidney?

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
big777bill

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »

Got it  :stressed; expanded criteria donors    :bandance;

CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »

Jeannea, I understand how this would be upsetting, but you have had some excellent advice. Don't try to second-guess your gut reaction. You'll just make yourself crazy....

Instead, recognize that you are in line for another call soon and you will be able to get a kidney that is the right match for YOU, with no second-guessing!

:grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely not supposed to get ECD but apparently high risk is different. I think I did the right thing.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

Got it  :stressed; expanded criteria donors    :bandance;

for big bill and any one else confused...

ECD are kidneys from those in older ages groups, at least usually.  Sometimes the donor may have suffered from other medical conditions, or been subjected to something that may effect the general strength of the kidney.  From what my docs told me, they are usually not expected to last as long as a kidney from a younger, healthier donor.  These are great choices if you are not doing well on dialysis, as even half of the statistically expected 10 years off D is better than staying on it if it's not working well for you.

High risk kidneys usually come from those with a history of drug use or other things that may have exposed them to diseases that may transmit to the recipient, and that may be hard to test for accurately.  If they managed to avoid the risks that came with the drug use, such as HIV or HEP, then you may be getting a perfectly healthy kidney from a young donor.  Or, you might be getting another problem just as serious as CKD.  It's a gamble you have to decide for yourself.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

big777bill

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »

jbeany     :thx; :waving;

CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012