I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:17:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What's the best thing that's happened to you today?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the best thing that's happened to you today?  (Read 57651 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »

today we got work that william should be ready to come home in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »

We finally got our tax return filed and we will be getting a small refund. Whew!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #352 on: October 19, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »

Some horses lately have co-operated :)

Last night SHOSTAKOVICH (my fave composer) running at Lingfield Park (UK) won at 7/2 -my $5 fun bet paid off!!!!!
today, Quinella at the Geelong Cup - $10.90 payout - sweeeeeeeeet!
had a few other minors at Yarmouth & Geelong giving me a nice little kitty (purrrr).

Yeah, next time things will go sour I'm sure, but that's how it goes. Today's been a good 'un :)

if only I'd put the house on Shosty!!!! lol

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »

I spent all of last night spinning in circles, trying to find the answer to a legal question. My two law student team members are preparing a motion to enforce a divorce judgment for a client.  The laws and statutes are really clear about what my client is legally entitled to, but have no instructions whatsoever on how, exactly, to go about asking for it when you make a motion before court.  She can get the judgment enforced, legally.  She can get the scummy ex "compelled" to pay.  Yah, nice.  Having an order on paper in your hand isn't the same thing as having paper money in your hand.  I wanted to know how to, or even if we were allowed to, put in a how, and a when, and a set of consequences for not paying.  I finally quit looking after way too much time searching with no results.  My paralegal classes have taught me a lot of formatting a motion and filing it properly with the court, but not so much about what to put IN the motion. 
Well, I have a senior law student who has studied law for 3 years so far.  She must have had this in class, so I figured I'd ask her in the morning.

Ha!  She had the same questions and had been doing the same research without finding any answers either.  We went together to the supervising attorney together to find out.

So my best thing was realizing I wasn't as clueless as I thought!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

Really enjoyed the talk with my advisor yesterday. Gwyn came with me and I introduced the two of them. It was on the hormone DHEA which my advisor has suggested I look into for possible Ph.D work. I hope Gwyn gets a job so I am able to justify keeping with my Ph.D.

These talks have been quite well attended, maybe because they have started bribing people to go with refreshments. Wine, cheese, water crackers, grapes. Gwyn and I went straight for the wine. I had a small glass of red while chatting with my advisor after the lecture. Gwyn had a giant glass of red, then I poured a glass of white for us both to try and Gwyn finished the whole thing in an apparent "miscommunication". :rofl; Oh well, he did agree to come with me, and the last anthro talk he accompanied me on was about pottery sherds, and I did not follow a single word, so obviously that boded extremely poorly for Gwyn's enjoyment.

We had a great little chat with the professor. Gwyn asked about DHEA's role in Alzheimer's treatment. Not promising, not enough is known. I asked about people without adrenal glands and, in an unrelated question, brain lateralization. These are all extremely interesting subjects to me. As Gwyn said, my advisor was so clearly in his element joking around with his students. We had fun, and the conversation just careened all over the place. :cheer:

Then we were able to give a nice donation to the children's center in town. Two years ago they did a clothing exchange - bring in any unwanted clothing in good condition, and on the appointed day, anyone can grab any item for free, as many items as you want. We loved donating all of Liot's baby stuff two years ago, but for some reason they did not hold one last year. We were just about to give all of our old clothes to charity when they announced the next clothing exchange. A few items we gave away were never worn. Gwyn is volunteering so if there are any items for older boys, I have instructed him to grab them. Last time we got a beautiful denim shirt for Liot, and two basketball shirts for Aidan that I never in a million years would have purchased for him, but he loved them. The denim shirt was in good enough condition to pass along this year. We walked in the door and the receptionist said "wow, you brought an entire closet!" and Gwyn and I both said "the other half's still in the car!" It really has freed up loads of space in our basement.

Oh, and last week I sold the winter ensemble from Gap that saw Liot through two Wisconsin winters. So hard to say goodbye to those outfits that I was used to seeing everyday, but the $25 was nice, and hopefully a great deal for the person who purchased for her little boy.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
ToddB0130

« Reply #355 on: October 22, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »

Lunch with a close friend and a quick tour of Barnes & Noble.  And a bit of tidying up of my place.  It's been a good day so far and it's still early enough to go talk a short walk.  I'm grateful.

No day but today
Restorer

« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »

Not today, but last night.

I had been feeling terrible since dialysis, all day. I took a nap. My roommate woke me up from my nap to ask if I wanted to come along with her to have sushi. I never refuse an offer for sushi.  ;D After that nap and a belly full of sushi, I felt much better.

:bandance;

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »

Yesterday, Halloween, my nurse gave me two of those little Snicker bars and a Hershey bar.  She said dialysis would wash away the potassium.  LOL.  I hadn't had a Snickers, even a tiny one, for over a year, and it tasted really good.  We gave out 350 candies last night before turning off the light.  There were still hundreds of kids roaming the streets like zombies for two hours we closed up.  I live in a nice neighborhood in a city with 50% of the people on government assistance.  They come here for the candy from all across town.  I love the costumes.  Next week I get to go to Disneyland for my 59th birthday.  I love Disneyland.  I was there on opening day in 1955.  It's a family tradition, now, for four generations.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »

hehe... sneaky chocolate... always fun..

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #359 on: November 01, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

My sister's birthday party was tonight.  For the next two weeks, she's 3 years older than me instead of just two years older.  Or she would be, if she hadn't stopped having birthdays back at 39!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

not the best thing, but I did visit the D clinic and joined in the Melbourne Cup "sweep" they do every year.

To explain for those that have no clue. The Melbourne Cup is one of the world's most famous horse races. This year was the 151st running of The "Race that stops a nation" - and indeed it does - in our state we all have a public holiday for the Cup - yes that's right - the day off for a horse race!!! True. Anyway a common practice in workplaces (and dialysis it seems!) is a "sweep" for the race - where you put in say $2 or $5 and get allocated at random one of the horses from the race. If your horse comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd or typically last you get a payout from the pool. Since there are usually 24 horses in the race it can be a bit of money.Anyway it's all in good fun and at least at dialysis everyone would crowed around patient TV's and yell for their horse and it was all good fun. So I vitied the uunit and put my $5 in for this year for fun. I got a dud horse so didn't get tocollect but it was fun nonetheless. I watched the races at home with my sister. Came out about 50% in profit for the day at the end of it all which one can't complain about and the actual Cup itself was one of the closest finishes in history decided on a photo after quite a long time. Very eciting even though my avoured horse ended 8th. lol.

oh yesterday I put a few bucks on a horse named CARIAD - for obvious reasons - no cigar though - sorry!!! :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #361 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »

I saved $190 at Kohl's and got a lot of cute stuff for work!! Going to clean some off the old stuff out of the closet tomorrow! :)

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
« previous next »