I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 05:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gout?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gout?  (Read 3558 times)
Kayholio

« on: October 27, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

Hey all, sorry if I seem to be making repeat threads :/ But has anyone gotten gout after starting dialysis? A couple days ago my foot started to swell up and it was all red and hurt to touch it. I went to the doctor today for my labs and I showed him and the nurse. He said it looks like acute gout and he gave me a prescription for Prednisone, and to only take it for 4 days, and if it doesn't get better, let them know and they'll do an xray...so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this, or has heard of it happening.

December '99 : Diagnosed with kidney disease
September 15th '11 : Went into stage 5 ESRD
September 19th : Started hemo with permacath, PD cath inserted
September 28th : Started manual PD
November 9th '11: Started PD on cycler
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

My foot hurts in the heel. My dr, thought it might be gout and said many on dialysis get it. I actually have something else wrong.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »

Gout is a pretty common side effect of kidney failure. Of course I only found out about this myself when I was on a trip to the US (this is years pre-D btw) and had an attack. Went to the ER at UCSD it was so painful, and they had no clue - even with me telling them my kidney failure diagnosis etc (the sweet part of this is that travel insurance covered the cost, despite technically it being due to a pre existing medical condition...). Anyway when I got home and talked to my neph about it he said "oh yeah that's very common." and put me on allopurinol which seems to be the bog standard preventative treatment for gout. I never had an attack since then.

I'm sorry you had that attack - I know just how horrible it is!!! Seems like you should be on allopurinol in the future.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
brandi1leigh

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »

I also take allopurinol. I've never had an attack of gout, but had high levels of uric acid in my blood work (which is an indicator that gout might occur). So I was put on the medicine preventively (I don't think that's a word...oh well).  It appears to have been working so far...knock on wood.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:09:40 AM »

About 12 years ago, I had what turned out to be my first gout attack, and it was horrible.  As time went on, I had several other attacks, the last being 7 years ago...in my knee.  I always assumed it was because of my crap kidney function, and that does seem to be the case.  I was also put on allopurinol like other posters, and like them, I never had another attack.

I had never heard of prednisone as a treatment for gout.  I thougth allopurinol and a course of colchicine (sp?) were the standard treatments.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Kayholio

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:23 AM »

Yeah, I'm not really sure why he gave me prednisone. He didn't seem all that worried about it and like I said, he wanted me to take the prednisone for 4 days and if it doesn't get better, to call. The pain isn't even in my big toe, it's mostly right where my second toe from my big toe stops and the top of my foot starts. It feels a lot better this morning, so I don't know.

Desert Dancer

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:31:34 AM »

I had my first attack of gout at age 24 and have pretty much been on allopurinol ever since. Early-onset gout is actually a feature of my particular kidney disease; my cousins started getting gout when they were 8 or 9 years old. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Seems kind of strange the doc put you on prednisone; colchicine is the standard for acute attacks (at least it was at the time I was getting them). Sounds to me, too, like you might need to look into having your neph start you on allopurinol. (BTW, you never want to take allopurinol for an acute attack, because it will make it WORSE. No one needs that!)

It's also not limited to just the big toe, though that seems to be the most common place to get it. I've gotten it in my hands, and you can also get it where your ear attaches to your head. OUCH.

Thankfully I haven't had gout in years. Knock wood.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:33:22 AM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:36:20 AM »

I've battled gout since 2003.  I too was put on prednisone for gout attacks, I had 3 of them over a month-month and a half. It worked, the pain and swelling went away. I then went on allupurinol too.  All was good until early April this year, when I had the mother-f*#ker of all gout attacks - in both knees at one time.  I called the dr for a pred Rx, managed to get to the pharmacy to pick it up, and waited for the relief to set in. I was so happy when it did!  Now that I have been on D since April, I discontinued my allupurinol and have not had a gout attack since.  I probably should get that checked...

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »

I'm another one in the Allupurinol camp. That seems to keep things pretty much under control. For the times it flairs up any way, I have colcrys that I take immediately and every half hour after until it lessens. Seems to keep me pretty much under control. And I do have an RX of prednizone just in case.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Annig83

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »

My doctor thought I had gout and put me on Allopurionol... broke out in the worst rash EVER!  Found out I actually have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis), it's in remission since having my son... I would definitely see your doctor if it doesn't go away. :grouphug;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »

I've had a couple of gout attacks.  Thank God I haven't felt one for awhile.  I never knew the big toe could hurt so much. >:D
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »

My husband had Gout once so far (on dialysis 4 years). I also see it looks like others take allopurinol for it and he has that in the cabinet as weel so it must be for the Gout. (too many to keep up with lol) Anyway, I learned the Gout is a build up of Ureic acid that turns into a sharp, cyrstalized, pieces that cut into your tissues and that's why it's so painful. Most commonly effects the big toe but can effect other parts of the body including the elbow. Redness and a hot sensation are a symptom. Hope you get some relief soon!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Kayholio

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »

Been taking the prednisone like I was told, today will be the 4th and final day. The swelling and pain has gone done tremendously and I can walk flat on my foot. Hopefully I won't even have another attack :S

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »