I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hello :)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 1832 times)
Kp912

« on: October 25, 2011, 05:41:39 AM »

Hello Everyone,
I am a 28 year old cargiver to my 30 year old b/f.  He is currently on home hemo w/nxstage has been for the last 2 years.  He is on the transplant list and also has a family member currently trying to donate to him.   My reason for posting tonight is to try to get info on the whole donating process.  His cousin got tested and found out she was a match in June of this year and has finished and passed all of her medical testing as of about 2 weeks ago.  Her coordinator told her the next step was her meeting with the surgeon.  He hasnt really been kept informed about anything through her whole testing process besides what she has told him.  Were both getting a little anxious thinking that this could actually be happening soon but the not knowing what is next is driving us (me really ..lol) crazy.  So my question to anyone with answer is what comes next??
Rodneyss1

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »

When my donor finished and passed all of his testing, he met with the surgeon and then the shrink (to make sure his mental state was sound).  After that, the surgery date was scheduled!  I think that's wonderful he found someone to donate! 

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:35 AM »

The transplant center handles donors and recipients separately to avoid conflict of interest. Once your (his) donor meets with the surgeon and the psychiatrist, provided all goes well, you should be contacted by the transplant team. HOWEVER, it doesn't hurt for your BF to call after all this is over, and ask what the next step is, provided everything checks out with his donor. The squeaky wheel gets the attention, so to speak.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
edersham

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »

Totally agree with Aleta. Your donor will be the best source of info until the tx center is ready  to schedule surgery. Then in my case, they did another Cross match 2 weeks before surgery(chance of that coming out good is high). Then on the morning of surgery they did another cross match and the results were delayed (which caused a "bit of anxiety") on my part. Congratulations on how far you have come and best wishes the rest of the way. I say you because it is  most definitely a team effort.

Ed
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »

Did your donor sign an information release with the hospital? Allowing the hospital to release info to you?? From my experience with living donors the hospitals don't really keep the person who needs the kidney in the loop...I had to call constantly and my donor kept me in the loop!

Good luck!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »