I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 08:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Anyone on Medicare primary on Nxstage?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone on Medicare primary on Nxstage?  (Read 4408 times)
*kana*

« on: July 14, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »

Hello,
I was told today at clinic that the only people doing home Hemo with NxStage were those that had Medicare secondary and private primary and haven't gotten to the 30mth switch .  Is that true or is anyone Medicare primary with private secondary?  I see many of you that are on NXstage and have been for several years.  Are you paying out of pocket for the 3 days that Medicare doesn't pick up or whats up?  My nurse is kind of a dingbat and she might be telling me wrong info.   
I need to call my Cigna company and verify that they wont pick up the other 3 days. 

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:16:09 PM by *kana* » Logged

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »

I don't know the answer to that, but you can go to www.homedialysis.org and pose your question.  Go to the forums and you will see that Beth Witten, who is a licensed social worker, takes questions about insurance and Medicare.  I'd like to know the answer, myself, so let us know what you find out. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »

There are 15 Medicare Administrative Contractors (MAC) / Fiscal Intermediaries (FI) that actually pay the Medicare bills across the country - I hear all of them will pay for 14 or 15 treatments in a month, no medical justification needed. I also hear that 14 out 15 will pay 17 or 18 (and the 15th may be changing) also no MJ needed. I also hear that most, but not all, will pay all that are billed ... there does seem to be some variation once treatments billed are >18, and this is in flux so it can change at any time.

I've heard that with Medical justification - history of heart disease or a number of other medical diagnosis also qualify - all MAC/FIs are paying for all treatments.

But that shouldn't matter because 15 payments a month at the Medicare approved rate ~$230 is more than enough for a NxStage program to make economic sense. It would even pencil out at 13 payment based on the average reimbursement rate if the program has any private payers.

But that shouldn't matter because I think what you are describing shouldn't happen. I think the units are suppose to operate by offering the same care to all patients, I don't think Medicare allows one level of care for Medicare Beneficiaries and another level of care for everyone else. And this may be why most MAC/FIs pay, but there have been problems in the past and it wouldn't be too surprising if there have been some inconsistencies but I would expect to have access to more frequent home hemo no matter where I lived and I have been Medicare primary since 1988.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:34:26 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
cherpep

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »

Is there a difference in the Medicare amount approved per treatment for home hemo vs in center hemo?  Does anyone know?  I know the number of treatments can vary, but let's say Medicare approves 5 treatments per week for at home.  Does the Medicare approved cost per treatment differ between in center and at home?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:41:22 PM by cherpep » Logged
Floridasue

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

I was on cigna when I started nd stage.  It switched into Medicare as first with a secondary after the 30 months. I
I never had to pay any additional payments, thank god.  I am with Davita and they have helped by getting the kidney foundation to help pay for the secondary insurance.  Hope you get this worked out soon.

Floridasue
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »

Have just started Nx Stage.  Medicare is primary with private insuance as secondary.  No issues as far as I'm aware

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »