I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 12:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Question about PD from newbie
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about PD from newbie  (Read 3788 times)
jshabanian

« on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »

I have not started training yet for PD but will in a couple of weeks.  I just received my first shipment of supplies!!  48 cases worth of supplies!!!
I opened one of the cartons with the PD solution in it.  That bag is heavy!!  Will I be putting the entire contents of that bag in my belly?  If so I can see why someone would feel bloated and full.  How can you even walk around with that much fluid?  Please tell me that I am wrong....
pitagory

Sorry guys for my spelling and punctuation

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »

Hello Jshabanian are you going to be on the cycler or are you doing manuals? if you are doing the cycler not all solution goes in at once  it depends what your docs prescription is for you. I am pretty new at this too but I do 1 bag 8 hours 3 dwell times. I start at 10pm I fill on firts cycle one third of bag then I duell for about 2 1/2 hours then it drains then it fills againg with more solution and that happen again until my 8 hours are done. good luck but its not too bad for me its better then going to center and doing hemo. and I work so it gives me more felxibility

"I dont need easy,  I just need posible"
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »

I have just one question
How many ML's is the bag?

I fill with 2000ml (2 liters) 4 times day, I do CAPD

now at first (I say the first 2 weeks)
I felt as if I was going to tip right over and land on my face from the extra weight!! It even felt as if my skin was being stretched to to the limits and being full.... I don't think I ate a thing for the first 2 weeks......but then it all changed and all of a sudden I don't feel a thing......... just the occasional pain when I fill and drain  >:(

PD has simply become a part of who I am........ PD is just like getting up and putting my shoes on before I leave for the day......
PD will grow on you, and hopefully you will LOVE it as much as I do  ;D
I was scarred at first as I am sure you are too, please take a minute to go check out my other post entitled, "a step by step PD experience." where I posted (and still do) my experience.... I hope that after you read it, you may find the answers to some of your questions or maybe even calm your concerns and as always please, please please use this website as not only your sounding board, but as your support.........

as Houseofdialysis says (I always quote him b/c it is soooooo true) remember, "dialysis works for you, you don't work for dialysis."
you will love the flexabiity and control that PD will offer you in time.... I promise you that

good luck with your PD adventure!!!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »

I'm with tbarrett, it is something you get used to. When I was doing CAPD, it would fill with the 2L bags and not even notice it. Now that I'm on CCPD, the cycler takes care of all the stuff for me while I'm sleeping. Yes, it is a bit scary at the start, but as she said, it soon just becomes part of your routine.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
jshabanian

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies~

At first I am doing manual exchanges then in probably a month or so they say I  can switch to the night time cycler.  I guess I need to take this one step at a time and not worry so much. 

jshabanian

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »

to Tbarrett2533... thank you for the step by step pd experience.  It was very helpful if not a little scary.  You had quite the roller coaster ride but seem to have acclimated beautifully.   I am so glad the PD is working well for you.
pitagory

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »

We all understand you. like I said I am new to this. also and I am still learning, but its good that you are doing manuals first. I never got to do any I went strait to the cycler but in case of an emergency I need to do manuals so I would have to look up my instructions on how to do this. I guess it depends on you neph. :thumbup;

jshabanian

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »

The dialysis center that I will be using won't let me go straight to the cycler.  They said I will be training for 4 or 5 days from 10 am to 3 pm.  Seems like a long day to me!! 
pitagory

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »

The dialysis center that I will be using won't let me go straight to the cycler.  They said I will be training for 4 or 5 days from 10 am to 3 pm.  Seems like a long day to me!! 

That sounds about right. I had to take a week off just to get this done, but its easy you just have to be extra careful with everything so you wont get peritonitis, but even thou dialysis sucks,I love PD.

mcclane

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »

I used to do pd, i had to do 2L fills.

At first, you will notice the extra fluid in your gut area, over time though you'll get used to it and you won't even notice that it is there.  However, long term use will stretch out your gut, I now have 'stretched' skin so I look fat, thanks to the 2L fills while i was on pd.  Yes, you can walk (at first though you do notice the extra weight), it'll just take some time to get used to.

jshabanian

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »

Well my stomach is already stretched out and I have very gross wrinkly skin at my lower abdomen.  I had large polycystic kidneys that were removed 4 years ago.  Prior to their removal and my transplant I lost 40 pounds.  Since Feb. I have lost another 40 pounds.  Kidney failure is a hard way to lose weight but I am thankful for the weight loss.  That is one reason I am terrified of gaining weight on PD.  I will have to be so careful and really watch what I eat.

I am still overweight and could lose another 30 to 40 pounds.  But still I am so HAPPY to have lost the weight.  I feel so much better.

Thanks again for your responses to my post.
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

to Tbarrett2533... thank you for the step by step pd experience.  It was very helpful if not a little scary.  You had quite the roller coaster ride but seem to have acclimated beautifully.   I am so glad the PD is working well for you.

you are welcome!!!  ;D

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »