I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 02:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  For women on Dialysis.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For women on Dialysis.....  (Read 3945 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: October 26, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

Can dialysis put a woman into experiencing pre menopause/peri menopause symptoms?

what do you ladies think - Dialysis can be the cause of it?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:41:19 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »

I just asked this question a few weeks ago because I was having those issues.  Turned out to be a hormonal imbalance, BUT YES!  Dialysis or ESRD can cause a slew of pre-menopausal symptoms and stop the menstrual cycle completely.  They've done some studies in women by giving them hormones to correct the problem, but it often causes other issues with BP....

Here is a website that explains more:

http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Menopause-Treatment/

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:56 AM »

Thanks so much for the link!     :waving;    I'll check it out!  I guess there are debates out there about hormone replacement therapy, I can imagine?

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:03 AM »

yes,
 I will have to admit I do somewhat wish I would be one to stop all peroids! I will tell you this much I complained to my ob/gyn about my few chin hairs, one chest hair that keeps spouting out, my mustache, shrinking boobs (lol).
 I asked for birth control, and he said no because I have lupus, and because my mothers family is from Italy replacement hormones wont work because my moms side is from that part of the world where women have facial hair.

So he did blood work, and yes my hormones are elevated, like the testorone, and a few other ones.

So I went to a reproductive endrocrinologist (sp?), and he told me that dialysis is pretty much a filter, and not eveything goes through the filter. So to rule out tumors, etc. I also had another blood work to check levels again. And this time some werre still high, and I had an ultrasound of the ovaries to look for tumors,a nd none were there. So, dialysis doesnt get rid of every single thing, like we all knew....with me it deosnt get rid of all of my male hormones. no wonder I have such a high sex drive :rofl;

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:16 AM »

2 months into dialysis I stopped having periods...I was on D a total of 11 months. Now approaching 5 months into transplant...still no periods.... maybe D put me into menopause! I am dragging my feet getting it checked out.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »

I would seriously LOVE no periods! LOL     :rofl;    I must ask, does anyone go to a Obgyn who "specifically" deals with  people who are on dialysis? Is it even possible to ask to see one that's really familiar with Dialysis?   Because I'm seriously thinking/wondering if this is even possible to be referred to a specialiist who does.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:26:40 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Annig83

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »

I don't go to an Ob/GYN specific for dialysis but he is a high-risk doctor and correlates all my treatment with my nephrologist. It's nice to know that my doctors work together specifically for my issues :)

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »

LOL I just realized now that may have come out the wrong way on my end, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that I wondered if any ob/gyn 'knows a lot" of what dialysis can do to a woman's body, like......an understanding how it can affect.

That is good like you said, they work together, for you   :cuddle;

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »

I've said a million times that I'd trade my period to be able to pee again.. *LOL*

When I was 13, I went to a gynecologist, on the advice of my nephrologist, because he couldn't explain why I got bloody drain bags while I was on my period.  The gynecologist explained it to us quite well, then drew a picture for the nephrologist. *LOL*

In his defense, he was a pediatric nephrologist, and was not used to having patients over the age of 12.  Of his patients who were teenagers, I was one of only 3 girls, and the only one on pd. The rest were all boys

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »

I've never done PD. Is that something common to have happen during a period, to have bloody drain bags? 

Annig83

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

Yes!  In women, your Peritoneal Cavitity and uterus have an opening between them.  When the lining is being shed, some of the blood and solution from PD get mixed together and can leak into the drain bag.  Some women get it worse when it is a heavy period, or if they have a longer menstrual cycle.  Surgery in the abdomen or belly can also cause it as well, but it usually goes away.

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »

Is that a common thing to have happen? I'd never heard of that happening before.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »

Is that a common thing to have happen? I'd never heard of that happening before.

very common.  It happened to me every months.  Usually about 2 days before my period would start, my bags would be bloody.  We'd always take a sample in to be tested, just to be on the safe side, but the bloody bad was my warning that my period was going to start.  I have no warning now.  I've thrown away a lot of underwear in the last 3 years.

A cloudy or bloody bag is also a sign of peritonitis, which is why we had it tested.  It's too bad that when I actually did have peritonitis, my bags were clear.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »

I am so glad that I came accross this thread....... since I started the D 13 months ago, my periods have slowly started to go away, some months I will not even have one now, this is fine if you are 60 or never want to have chidlren, its not fine if you are 32 and are childless like I am. It is only a matter of time for me that mine stops all together, and I keep hearing these horror storries about these women who had transplants and their periods never came back and they NEVER were able to have children.......it goes to show some people out there (mothers) how blessed you really are :angel;

I HATE what kidney failure has took from me!!!!!!!!!!!! BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!   :rant;                         (sorry)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:05:44 PM by tbarrett2533 » Logged

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »

The only thing that applies to all women on D is that there is no single experience.  Some women do stop having periods, and go into early menopause.  We have members on here who were told they couldn't get pregnant while they were on D - and then did.  I was told my periods would stop almost immediately.  Instead, they became more frequent and heavier.  And heavier.  And heavier.  From what I've read from members on here, that's not an uncommon experience either.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 05:11:45 AM »

:grouphug;    :cuddle;   Tbarrett

When I went into renal failure, my period stopped, then it came back 5 months after starting dialysis, then it came back with a nasty venegeance meaning it's been so heavy since. Don't know whether to blame it on the heparin or if it's pre menopausal.  I'm sick of the heavy periods and the major PMS'ing.   :'(

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I wish my periods would stop.  I gave up on the idea of being a mother a long time ago.  I don't figure I'll ever be healthy enough to carry a child to term, considering this is my third and longest dance with dialysis.  I'm at 7 and a half years this month

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
The Lady

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »

My periods were so heavy, I was so anemic and my hemoglobin was 4. After starting D and having transfusions they put me on Megace which is some sort of hormone normally used to stimulate appetite in cancer patients.

It seems to work though. My periods are much more manageable now. I sometimes skip a month but that doesn't break my heart.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

I wish mine would stop    :(     :urcrazy;

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

Hi Cordelia why can't you use the anti-conception pill? tha would stop your periods wouldn't it?
lol

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »

No, I can't go on the Pill, risk of blood clot, what not. Plus, I already had my tubes tied 10 years ago, no risk of pregnancy for me anyways.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

I have no risk of pregnancy either, but it's not because of anything medical... *LOL*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »

I had a lot of problems in the Pill. Helped my period when I was on 17 years ago, however, it made me awfully moody and I had no sex drive on it at all.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »