I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  coping well
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: coping well  (Read 1987 times)
raidym

« on: September 30, 2011, 05:49:35 AM »

I started dialysis in January of this year I had no idea it was coming and like anyone would be was completely devastated. I didn't know how to live my life around it and hated, despised and f***ing detested dialysis. I couldn't even look at the machine at first it terrified me. I was extremely anemic with it and had no energy and thought that's the way it was always gonna be. It took a while for my body to get used to it but as the months have passed I've grown stronger. When I got the original diagnosis a renal councillor came to talk to me I told her about my personal life and that my mother and brother passed away a few years ago. She put it to me that she wasn't worried about how I'd cope because if I could cope with that this would be no problem. That gave me a bit of strength and me some fire in my belly. Then what gave me the survival instinct (for want of a better word) was thinking of my Dad(and brother and sisters) I couldn't bare the thought of them losing somebody else. So I promised myself I'd haul my sorry butt out of the sorry state I was in and you know what I can proudly say I have. I have a wonderful family and friends that helped when times were tough. I have transport to dialysis and travel with a great bunch even the driver is a great guy. Which helps a lot. I still hate dialysis with a passion and always will but there's no getting around it I need it. I'm starting to ask questions now and I'm not so terrified of it all. I started a new clinic in July and there was only an evening slot available but it seems to suit me I'm not as tired. When I get off I can come home to bed. When I was on early morning slot I was tired all day. So all in all in the few sort months I'm on dialysis I think I'm coping well and If I'd to give anyone advice that's starting on the horrible road of dialysis it would be try to stay positive (I know its hard). Also do what suits you (dialysis times, and an opinion on your care) and don't let anyone bully it's your body you know it best. Medical expert are there to help so listen to them sticking to the guidelines they give you keeps you healthy.

"Laugh or you might cry"
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »

:clap;   great attitude!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »

Brilliant post Raidy.  I'm sorry that you're having to live with this, but I'm so glad you're able to put a positive spin on it.  Hope the fistula is behaving itself!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Iwannabean

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:09:23 AM »

Hi Riadym  :welcomesign;, I also like late afternoon dialysis, I work all day, then go to D and I usually get home around 8:30pm I relax for awhile and then its off to never, never land.  I only wish I had more energy.  Glad you came to the board.

Iwannabean
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

Good for you Raidym.  So glad to hear that it is somewhat better (not perfect) for you! You are right on in that it is your body and you know it best!!!

lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »