I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Is more dialysis better?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is more dialysis better?  (Read 1419 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: September 29, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »

This is today's entry from The Kidney Doctor blog, and it is essential reading.  If someone would like to post the entry in its entirety, please do...I've tried but I can't seem to do it properly.

Feel free to leave a comment...  It's important that we stand up for ourselves instead of trusting other people to do it for us.

http://www.thekidneydoctor.org/2011/09/editorial-wait-wait-dont-tell-me-is.html

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »

I read it MM, and will tell you with out a study, I Do believe the more dialysis the better!  Hubby is living proof of it!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

Sadly.....   I believe many believe that more dialysis is better..... but  the clinics are not going  to go for it...  it will cut into their profit.... they wont change unless someone will make then change.....

To me it will have to be the people who do dialysis ...they will have to change.... and many of them will need to go to home dialysis to get better dialysis....  maybe with some home helpers many of them can find the courage to go home.... So many people what to do less.... they dont want to do more....

NO matter how healthy longer dialysis is  there will be those people who will not want to do this.....  I feel for those people....
But  The ones that I feel the most are the people who want to do more dialysis and are told  NO..... for various reasons....  I want to help those people.....   So if everyone agrees that more dialysis is better for your health and if you want to do more dialysis....then why cant we.....  why cant we go to more than one clinic...why cant we have home helpers if needed.... why can we.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »

You would think that clinics would want to, especially if it meant their jobs!  If it keeps up at the pace it is going (and I realize it is no where near panic mode) everyone will opt to do it at home, leaves them without a job.  But I do Know there are still those that go in center that really want as little time on the machine.  But I also feel, that if they got a taste at home, alot would convert!  It, IMO, is not so burdensome on the patient or the caregiver!  It becomes a part of a new life together with dialysis.

I did more fretting when he went in-center, which caused him to be nervous, anxious and the whole ball of wax!  In that year, we were so ready to get back home because when he started D. we choose PD at first!  So it was something we wanted to get back to doing! And looking back on it, I hate what I put him through with the worring and all!  Now things have smoothed out, we can cherish each other, as it should be.

lmunchkin

:kickstart;
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:53:56 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »