I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:26:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A small question..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A small question..  (Read 2283 times)
raidym

« on: October 01, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »

My fistula was used for the first time on Tuesday it didn't work cause it clotted so the needle was only in for about 2 mins. But the whole fistula is now bruised Why does it bruise so bad. I didn't think It would unless it was in for the whole four hours... Just wondering so decided to ask ;D

"Laugh or you might cry"
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »

It mayhave something to do with the blood thinners that are given in your lines during dialysis. They are used to help prevent clots but sometimes I guess "stuff happens" lol. Also I'm thinking maybe if the needle poked a certain way it may have caused the bruising. I'm sure someone on dialysis (I'm the caregiver) can give you a better answer. Just wanted t give you a couple possibilites in the meantime. My husband has been on dialysis for 4 years now and his fistula area is bruiseda lot now. How are you doing with the dialysis in general.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »

you probably infiltrated.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »

Yup, sounds like an infiltration to me, too.  That's when they put the needle in one side and right on out the other.  When they press down to stop the bleeding, they are only putting pressure on the hole they put in the top side.  The hole on the back side bleeds into the tissue of your arm.  It leads to nasty, ugly, giant bruises.  Sound familiar to you?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

yeah, that's what it sounds like to me too.  If the needle clotted, it could be that the needled went through the other side of the vessel into tissues, which would colt the needle.  I'll be that it hurt like an SOB for a bit after the needle was out too.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
The Noob

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »

this happened to DH too. the first day he came home, it was swollen, bruised badly and i could feel the knot. we asked them to rest it. they didn't, and infiltrated it twice more before we got them to stop. word with surgeon and doc stopped that. i'd say let it rest a week. just put your hand over it at the clinic and don't take no for an answer.. :cuddle;  his had to rest 3 weeks. if they'd listened to us the first time, a week would have been good.
raidym

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:14 AM »

Ah maybe that's what it was. It isn't too sore thankfully and they are letting it rest. Texasstyle dialysis is going ok at the moment thanks for ask I posted Coping Well to let you all know how its going. Thanks for all your replies it's good to know I can get a reply to the silly little questions too :yahoo; But then there's no silly questions on IHD :laugh:

"Laugh or you might cry"
Traveller1947

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

An infiltrated access isn't a small or silly thing, raidym.  I'd like to add one thing to the good replies you!'ve gotten: the minute you see bruising, ask for ice to put on it.  The nurse or tech can put it in a glove for you, so it doesn't make everything wet as it melts.  All the best to you.
mcclane

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

like yourself, i clot very easily.  if i don't crank up the heparin during dialysis, the needle or the machine will clot up extremely easily. 

as for the bruising, i agree with what has been said.  sounds like it is infiltrated.

however, you mentioned your fistula was used for the first time.  when mine was used for the first time, it bruised really badly, but no infiltration.  now, with blunts, it doesn't bruise at all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »