I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Hells Angels, auto dealer team up for girl's fundraiser
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hells Angels, auto dealer team up for girl's fundraiser  (Read 1316 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 21, 2011, 12:23:54 AM »

Hells Angels, auto dealer team up for girl's fundraiser
BY KELLIE SCHMITT Californian staff writer
kschmitt@bakersfield.com | Tuesday, Sep 20 2011 10:00 PM

Last Updated Tuesday, Sep 20 2011 10:00 PM

They made an unlikely pair: A 10-year-old girl in a pink floral dress chatting with a Hells Angel about this weekend's barbecue.

He sported a long ponytail and a black vest emblazoned with the outlaw gang's signature red-and-white patch. Her small pale hands rested on the table, a striking contrast to his weathered, black-tattooed arm.

"I like chicken," the biker said. "What do you like?"

"Tri-tip," replied the girl with unwavering conviction.

The biker "Delano" Mike Pena sat down with Zoe Whipple, who is struggling with failing kidneys, to plan Saturday's barbecue, a fundraiser that could draw hundreds of Hells Angels and other motorcycle clubs from across the state.

The riders will start at Coronado Baptist Church and follow each other to John Haddad's ranch on the Kern River in an effort to raise money for Whipple's family, which is struggling with the high costs of her ongoing treatment.

Whipple was born with a number of congenital anomalies, including kidneys that never developed. In 2010, she was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure and began dialysis, a treatment that forced her and her family to travel to Los Angeles up to four times a week.

In November, her mother, Jessie Springstead, donated her kidney to Whipple, but the organ isn't functioning at full capacity. The family hopes that kidney could last seven years before another transplant is necessary. In the meantime, they're traveling to Los Angeles several times a week for ongoing care.

The constant travel has been hard on her parents, a Target team leader and a Lowe's department manager. The family has fallen behind on their mortgage and bills as Springstead stopped working.

Whipple's grandmother Rebecca Rhoten made up fliers pleading for help, and passed them around town. One landed in the hands of Bakersfield resident Kevin Cornelius, who turned to his good friend Haddad, the owner of numerous local car dealerships.

By chance, Hells Angel Pena happened to be in Haddad's office when the request came in, and the brainstorming started. Pena, who is very connected in the biker community, said he'd put out the word. Haddad offered to host the barbecue in his spacious riverfront property, which includes a Tombstone-like saloon.

"When you hear Hells Angels, you think they're a little on the rough side," mom Springstead said. But the beleaguered family was open to all options.

The first meeting at a local pizza parlor was a bit intimidating, admitted grandmother Rhoten. All she knew was that someone nicknamed Delano had said, "The family wants to do something for you."

"I thought, is the Mafia calling me?" Rhoten recalled, laughing.

She was also aware that Pena's name had made headlines involving a 2010 Oildale fight between the Hells Angels and Vagos members. Pena and a Hells Angel associate were charged with crimes including murder. Pena faced life in prison, but a jury found him not guilty in June.

"We felt comfortable once we met him," Rhoten said. "There's a lot of difference in meeting someone compared to what you've heard. We feel like we know who Delano is."

The other bikers they met that day were also "respectful" and open, Rhoten said. Some even shared their own stories of cancer and traveling to Los Angeles for treatment. And, when the family explained Whipple's plight, some of the black-vested bikers had tears in their eyes, Rhoten said.

"Delano" Pena said the decision to help came down to one word: heart. Pena, who said he loves children, put out the word to Hells Angels throughout the state, as well as other motorcycle clubs such as Hermanos Unidos.

"Big Eddie" Sanchez of Hermanos Unidos said it's groundbreaking for various local clubs to combine with the Hells Angels.

"This is about Zoe," Sanchez said.

They even invited Christian motorcycle ministries to join, and extended the invite to anyone on a bike.

Cornelius, the resident who is helping promote the event, passed out the flier to a 22-year-old in a blue Vespa.

"He looks at me and says, 'Can I really ride in this?'" Cornelius said. "Everyone wants to ride with the Hells Angeles for a good cause."

The barbecue is also open to the public, and families are encouraged to attend the riverside gathering, which will have a band, jumping house and a clown who makes motorcycle hats.

Whipple said she's looking forward to good food and fishing, something she's never tried before. As she surveyed the expansive green lawn and listened to promises of tri-tip, she smiled and asked: "Can I have my 11th birthday party here, too?"

HOW TO HELP

The ride will start at Coronado Baptist Church at 516 Norris Road at noon and will end at Haddad's ranch at 10421 Round Mountain Road. The cost is $15 per person, or $20 per couple, all of which will be donated to the family. The barbecue is open to the public. The event goes until 5 p.m. with food served until 2 p.m.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x616173349/Hells-Angels-auto-dealer-team-up-for-girls-fundraiser

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »

That's just too cool for school.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »

Man, would I love to go on that ride with them!  Such an awesome & heartfelt thing for those "rough riders" to do.  See, there are truly good people in the world!  Great read Karol.  Weather is perfect for riding and great for fundraising too!

lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »