I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Post transplant study biopsy....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post transplant study biopsy....  (Read 3001 times)
Jess21

« on: April 16, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »

So I scheduled my Post transplant biopsy. I'm part of a study (GoCAR I think?) which requires a 2 year post transplant. I signed up for this the day I was waiting to get my transplant. I realize this will help people in the future... but I'm currently worried about it and it's not til the end of June!

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »

I was always told that a biopsy should be avoided as much as possible unless necessary. Maybe the thinking has changed. I never had a post transplant biopsy to see how my kidney was doing unless I was very sick. Thankfully I have been out when they did it. I was awake for my liver biopsy and do not want to be awake for another. However it is different for everyone.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
edersham

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »

I have had three post transplant biopsies at Mayo Phoenix in a year.  All were part of the standard post tx protocol at Mayo and all have been totally painless with no effects afterward. I've read on ihd about the potential risks but Mayo feels the benifits of early detection far outweigh the risks. I will now have one a year from now on. But the main point is they have been totally without pain for me. I know liver biopsies are a whole different animal.

Ed
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:45:54 AM »

Ed - don't they have to numb the area first with a local (needle)?  Every local I have had to have has hurt.  I was spared a potential biopsy following my transplant (they did schedule one but my condition improved enough overnight that it was cancelled.)  I was told that they were going to inject a local for the procedure.  Mind you, I am a wuss, lol.

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
edersham

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »

Yes, they do numb the area but i just feel a little pressure,no pain. I guess the area near the surface is stil without much feeling even ayear after surgery. I guess Im lucky.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »

Well I am also sensitive to touch also. Doctors have a hard time feeling my abdomen, but the liver was enlarged at the time of my first biopsy due to CMV. That procedure just puts me off to knowing what is going on if I need another.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »

Yeah the local can hurt a little bit going in the first time, but gee it's really about the same as a blood test needle - not like a dialysis needle or anything like that, and once the first lot is in all you feel is the pressure. The bit that always got me was the "click" when the sample is taken even when I knew it was coming I'd still flinch somehow and then freak out that I'd done more damage to myself by moving despite all efforts not to (I was assured it was all normal and OK).

I think the worry about the potential bad things that can happen with a biopspy (pretty rare, I understand) are far worse than the "bite" of the actual biospy. Having had two in the space of 2 months post-tx it really was over before I knew it and not such a big deal.

Yes, I agree that you want to avoid going in there if you can - after all any time they are sticking needles and stuff into your transplant there's a risk something can go on, but if it were me I'd consider the potential benefit down the track of helping research to be worth it. Remember the chances of anything bad happening are pretty slim.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »

I think my transplant center is of the same mind not to do biopsies unless you are in acute rejection. I had a transplant for 10 years and never had a biopsy. I had 2 liver biopsies but it was through the vein or artery in my neck and they fed a catheter down to the liver and tugged a piece out. I would prefer that type of biopsy then putting a huge needle through my abdomen. They do the liver biopsies like that b/c of the anemia.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Jess21

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »

So I had it done....
I had the option to have twilight with the biopsy but declined.  I have a high pain tollerance so local would be fine.
Too bad I have general anxiety disorder that decided to come with avengance when they were about to poke me.  Who knew 5 people staring down at you would be an issue?  :rofl;
But I stayed still, got it done, no pain.  Preliminary results said no rejection at all.  I then had a change in my transplant coordinators so never got the rest.  Never got a call though! Now I'm just getting it straightened out cause my insurance got billed for a STUDY.  Oooopsie on the billing department's part!

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
coravh

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »

I've had a couple of biopsies  and the end results for me were prograf toxicity. I was on prograf originally and had to go back on for my subsequent pancreas transplant. I always found the worst part was the sting of the local anasthetic. And it really was just a brief sting. It's hard having to lie flat and still for the several hours afterwards and it can get boring (but I was lucky and had someone interesting next to me in the procedure room and we had a lovely chat). I had no bleeding or subsequent side effects. All in all an experience I can certainly do again without trepidation.

Cora
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »