I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 12:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  I think I pulled my pd catheter out a little bit!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I pulled my pd catheter out a little bit!!  (Read 6310 times)
jshabanian

« on: November 09, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »

:sos;
When I was taking my pd cather out to start an exchange I pulled on the wrong side to of the tube and it felt like it pulled out a little bit from the entry point.  I didn't measure my catheter before so I am not sure if it is longer now.  Should I be calling someone?  Has this happened to any of you?
ToddB0130

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »

I would call someone (vascular surgeon ??) if you're concerned and want it checked out (since you can't really tell on your own).  I don't have a pd catheter .... are you feeling any new discomfort in that area ?  That might be a sympton that the catheter was disturbed.   Good luck.

No day but today
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »

Mine is anchored inside so I can't do that. I have tugged on mine, accidentally, and have not pulled it out.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
jshabanian

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

I bet mine is anchored too!!  I never thought about that.  They wouldn't leave it just hanging loosely out of someones belly. 

Wow, so many things to worry about.  My head is spinning.

Thanks for your help.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »

if your in doubt call the neph or go to the er just to have it looked it, better be safe then sorry.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

When I went for my follow-up to get my stitches out after my PD cath placement I remember my dr saying that the caths were made so that in the event that we (PT's) were in car accidents or "accidentally" pulled to hard on our caths there is no way that it would come out unless we really and she said "REALLY" pulled hard would it come out, so I really do not think you have anything to worry about.......

:2thumbsup;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Willis

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »

When I went for my follow-up to get my stitches out after my PD cath placement I remember my dr saying that the caths were made so that in the event that we (PT's) were in car accidents or "accidentally" pulled to hard on our caths there is no way that it would come out unless we really and she said "REALLY" pulled hard would it come out, so I really do not think you have anything to worry about.......

:2thumbsup;

My PD cath has always had about a 1/3 inch play in and out. I was a passenger in a car accident Aug 4th and the seat belt pulled on the cath hard enough that it tore the skin at the exit site so that I now have an egg-shaped exit site that is finally almost healed again after 3 months. I also injured my rib on the right side (nothing broken) and now instead of the small amount of drain pain which I still get I now get pain when filling right at the area where the rib was injured. The dr said I may have bruised my diaphragm and that takes a LONG time to heal. For awhile I couldn't take deep breaths without pain, but now I'm back to about 95% of where I was before the accident.

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »

I once got it caught in the blankets and it got tugged hard. It started bleeding. Of course it was Sun morning so I called the emergency number. She said as long as the bleeding stopped it was ok. I don't think you really can pull it out. I put extra gentamycin ointment on and a bandage until it felt better.

You probably should have your nurse look at it but I suspect you're ok.
jshabanian

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »

Whew!  You guys are the best.  It is so good to know that I am not the only  one who tugs on their tubes!  It looks fine and doesn't hurt at all.  Fills and drains are going okay and their is no leakage. 

Thanks for your help.

janet
brandywine

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »

I remember after having mine in for about two weeks, I woke up in the middle of the night disoriented, and felt something crawling on me-so I grabbed and yanked. Of course, it was my catheter!!! OUCH. It was a little tender for a few days, but then it was fine. Me= :urcrazy;

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »