I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  pap smear?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pap smear?  (Read 6291 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »

"Prepare for the worse expect the best" Is the philosophy i live by! lol 

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »

ew no thanks I don't want to be a gyno. I would lose my appreciation for all the nice bits of the female form, and then I'd have absolution nothing to live for!!!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 05:10:11 AM »

:rofl;    :rofl;    :rofl;   Richard!

I've never had any luck with male gyno's. ....no offense to the male population, I just prefer a female looking around in those parts......I had a gyno exam by a female gyno one time in my life and I must say, it didn't even feel like I was having a pap, she was that gentle.....PLUS I might add, she warmed the freakin' specculum!  Every male gyno I've had in the past has NEVER warmed the specculum and they always use the big heavy metal ones ... UGH!!!!!!..the female gyno I had, she had a plastic one and let me tell you, they are SOOOOOO much better!!!!!!!!!!     :rant;
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:50:19 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »

LOL id have to agree RM i cant imagine some of the nasty stuff they see ewwww

Ive never had a female gyno! I saw an episode of a show.. i cant remember the show though... she had a female obgyn and there was champaigne and ruffles and lace and bows... and... lol u get the point.... it was hilarious, she played soft music and stuff like that.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »

I've always had a male gyno, around my age and he is fantastic.  He trained under the father of my neph actually and I was referred to him after my first transplant because he had experience with transplant patients..there weren't a ton of us around here back in 1985.  I'm not embarrassed around doctors and we are both very matter of fact about female issues as I would try to be with any medical issues.  He's never hurt me, is always considerate and understanding when I raise things with him (and as we age there tend to be more things to raise) and I can't ever remember anything but plastic speculums.  Having said that he also always apologizes for any potential discomfort and he makes me laugh....I've especially enjoyed the assortment of eccentric pot holders that he has over the feet stirrups...my favorite were the lobsters (from Prince Edward Island) and the pigs head (from who knows where).  He is quick as well and I'm always distracted by our conversations about adventure travel. I tell him wilderness canoe trip stories and he's done some amazing fly in ski trips with amazing photos of some spots on the walls of his office.

Like all doctors though if you get one that's not a good fit for you then try to switch if you can.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

I never had any luck with male gynos. The one I had, he thought he was God's gift to all women and he was very arrogant. I don't like arrogant doctors who are not willing to listen   ::)   Uh uh!

If the doctor has a good bedside manner and is willing to listen, then I have no problem. 

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
sarahmanda

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »

I had an abnormal reading from my pap and ended up having a biopsy and they removed the lesions (and frankly it was the most awkward, uncomfortable, ouchie 10 minutes of my life!) and now my OB/GYN said they would consider them gone after 3 clear pap smears, but I don't know if I will now be "cleared" as far as my tx center is concerned. They previously denied me until I lose 20 lb and will reconsider me when I lose the weight, but I'm concerned that I will have to wait another year and a half (6 mos between each pap) to be put on the list :(

"Sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading" *Kevin Smith*
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »

I'm so sorry    :grouphug;

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »