I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about first time dialysis...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about first time dialysis...  (Read 3269 times)
Nameless

« on: August 19, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

Okay, I know this sounds crazy but my husband lost 26 pounds after doing dialysis three times. What happened? Is it normal to lose that much weight in so short of a time (less than 5 days)? ???
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »

Absolutely!!  He probably needs that taken off, because it is excess fluid (built up) in his body!  Not knowing much about him, but I take it he is new to Dialysis?  They are probably taking close to 4L of fluid off each visit.  Eventually, if he follows his dietary restrictions, they will come to his "Dry Weight".

26lbs is nothing compared to some on this site!  Yes, it is very possible to lose 26lbs in a week!  It is more common, than not!

I know how you feel though, cause when my husband started, I was amazed at how much they took off!  Hope this helps.

lmunchkin     :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »

I swore I wasn't carrying any extra fluid weight when I started, too.  Then they just keep pushing the fluid pull a little bit more and a little more.  I had so much fluid packed into my legs without even realizing it.  The skin on my legs and calves felt loose there was so much less fluid!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »

Eventually, Katrina, once they reach his dry weight, they may back off on what they pull off.  Watch for signs of low BP or that "washed out" feeling he may get after treatments or cramping!  Those are signs that they need to back off!  Means they are pulling too much fluid off!

Can he get a transplant?  Have you both been told of other options (modality's) available to him?  You have come to the right place for great info on all things D.

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »

I was in Weight Watchers when I started dialysis........  so after my first week losing 10lbs I got a bookmark and more prizes!!!  HA

Know right now they have to find his "dry weight" which is his body weight minus any "extra" fluid.  It is a moving target and I still have a hard time finding it because our body's gain and lose "real" weight. 

For cramping I buy Tonic Water and drink some everyday.  It has Quinine in it which is a natural muscle relaxer.  They use to give us Quinine Tablets for cramps but the FDA put a stop to it.  I don't know why. 

Nameless

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »

I seriously doubt they will put him on the transplant list with all the health problems he has. We have discussed it with his family and none of them are willing to even get checked to see if they are compatible.  :'( It is hard to say about his BP because it was 206/119 and it was raising and dropping constantly. Hopefully it will all even out soon.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »

I seriously doubt they will put him on the transplant list with all the health problems he has. We have discussed it with his family and none of them are willing to even get checked to see if they are compatible.  :'( It is hard to say about his BP because it was 206/119 and it was raising and dropping constantly. Hopefully it will all even out soon.

You may well be right that he isn't healthy enough to endure transplant surgery, but you won't know unless you ask.  If the two of you would seriously like to pursue this course, you don't need a family member to donate.  He can go on the waiting list for a cadaveric kidney.  Ask his neph if he thinks your husband might at some point be a transplant candidate.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »

Yup, dialysis sucked a whole lot of fluid outta me. Since last Aug when I started dialysis, I have lost about 60 pounds. Pre-renal failure, I could not have lost the weight no matter what I tried.

I think I'm at my dry weight now, and my body feels a whole lot better for it. I wore a size 2X clothing and now I wear a medium/large, depending on what the style of clothing is. D has done remarkable things for me in the weight department     ;D

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »

My husband loses 12-13 lbs. each time he goes in of fluid. Now of course that is way to much (and we're working on that), but it goes to show how much can come off. The more fluid they pull though, the easier it is for things like cramping, and you blood pressure to drop. Try your best to stict to the fluid intake.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »