I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 05:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  I got a new machine.....actually, two new machines
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got a new machine.....actually, two new machines  (Read 5928 times)
kporter85db

« on: September 03, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »

So I have been averaging 5 or 6 alarms a night with my Fresenius Liberty Cycler. In the 5 weeks or so I have been on the cycler I have only had two nights without a single alarm and one night with 26 alarms. That's right, I said 26 alarms in one night.

I had been talking to my PD nurses about this and they kept saying I must be constipated or something. I kept assuring them that I was not but they really didn't believe me. I kept telling them that these machines were not engineered well. I didn't think it was just my particular machine, I just thought they were all bad.

Well, a week and a half ago at my monthly meeting with my Nephrologist I voiced my concerns with him. I told him how I tried the machine in four or five different heights and found one in particular to work best. How I use Heparin in every bag of dialisate. I think he is realizing that I am no dummy and I do know a little about what I am talking about.

He suggested they order me a new machine and lets see what happens. So I get the new machine a few days later. I notice the serial number is a lot newer and the software revision is slightly newer. It's not the major revision everyone is talking about, but is newer. That machine worked good the first night. Only had one alarm. But while I was setting up the next night, I got an error 060, Balloon Valve Error that would not clear. So I called customer service for the first time and they told me I would have to shut the machine down and start over with new supplies and see if it worked this time. well, I did, but it didn't work the second time either. I didn't dialize that night. I also got my first good nights sleep since starting dialysis.

I called customer service back that morning and they tried to get me to try the machine again that night. I refused and told them to send me out a new machine and that I would keep making them send me new machines until I got one that I was happy with.

The next machine they sent me had an even newer serial number and the same software revision as the second machine. In four nights on this machine I have had one night with no alarms and three nights with only one alarm and each of those alarms was because I had rolled over and pinched the line when I was filling (most of the alarms on my first machine were on emptying, I've had none on emptying on this new machine).

Also, on the new machine, I've noticed a much stronger sucking sensation (IE-more pain) at the end of each drain cycle then before. Not too bad, but more.

Hopefully, this continues. :yahoo;

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:28 AM »

keep your fingers crossed. These pesky machines have a life of their own.
kporter85db

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »

Night five....0 alarms

:clap;

Ken
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »

When J was on PD, he used the Newton IQ cycler.  In 5 years they never replace the machine, but I believe they replaced the "PumP" 3 to 4 times.  I know it is such a "pain" but at least you are home, right?  I agree with BB, those machines have a mind of their own! Well, maybe this one it the one.  At least it is looking that way!!!!   :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;  Congrats on your 5th day alarm free :thumbup;

lmunch     :kickstart;
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:00:15 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Atooraya

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about all your alarms. Hope they are behind you now with the new machine and software.
Is it true that Fresenius machine are more suseptible to giving the individual peritonitus?
kporter85db

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »

Thanks everybody.

I now know that I don't have to put up with 5 or 6 alarms every night. If this machine starts alarming that way they will just have to keep sending me machines until I get a good one.

And, yes, lmunchkin, at least I am home, and for that I am very grateful. These people that go in-center three days a week have my respect. I'm not sure I could do it.

Atooraya, I don't know about the machines causing peritonitis.

Ken
Dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »

So Kporter, the machine you have now is running much better, as in no alarms?
What a pain in the neck to have to fight with them to get something that works properly.
---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
kporter85db

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »

So Kporter, the machine you have now is running much better, as in no alarms?
What a pain in the neck to have to fight with them to get something that works properly.
---Dan

Actually, it's not been completely alarm free, I've had either 0 or 1 alarm per night for the most part. Except two nights ago an air bubble formed in the heater bag and towards the end of the second fill and I got an Air detected in cassette alarm that was fairly easy to clear but generated a few other alarms in the process. Over all, I've averaged one alarm per night. Most of the alarms were from me rolling over and pinching the line and actually, most of those were on the initial fill. I can totally live with that.

As soon as I can figure out how not to roll over and pinch the line I will eliminate my biggest source of alarms.

But, yes Dan, I should not have to fight with them to get a properly working machine. I suspect that their machine testing practices and quality control are to blame. I know I am not getting factory new machines. They need better refurbishing procedures.

Ken
Dannyboy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:10:36 AM »

Sounds like you've got a machine you can 'live with' for now.   That is very good to hear.   I am on hemo, and am having a heck of time sleeping....I can only imagine what it must be like for you to get 'woke up' during the night for these alarms.
---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
Mike_NC

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »

@kporter85db...I'm currently on my 5th Liberty cycler since starting it in February. (I'm a firm believer, based on 3-1/2 years experience, that Baxter make a superior cycler). That said, I am working as a 'tester' for new software as Fresenius/Liberty upgrades software. I too dealt with numerous alarms in the beginning and even had machines that sounded like a jackhammer as it was running through set up and priming. I'm currently on what I'm told is the latest version...2.8.2 is the software number on my cycler. I have been told by Helene, the head of the testing group,  that there is another upgrade tentatively scheduled for October. This upgrade is one that I personally have been waiting for a it is supposed to include a manual drain. I have not had a full night sleep since February because I have to be awake and sitting up to drain completely. A manual drain will eliminate that issue for me because it will allow me to sleep past the end of my cycle (if I choose to) and still be able to drain when I wake up. Due to catheter position I don't drain properly and roughly 1/2 - 2/3 of my total UF drains in the final drain as I am sitting up. This is one of the features the Baxter cycler had that I miss. One thing is certain and that is that we all have to be our own advocates and speak up when there are issues that need to be addressed. I don't think I'll ever be completely happy with the Liberty cycler as opposed to the Baxter cycler but at least I can see improvements. Good luck with everything and hope you continue to have success with your dialysis.
msrosefromms

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »

When I started my dialysis in Oct 2010, I started with the Baxter machine. My neph opened his own clinic and took the PD nurse, so I switched clinics and ended up with a Liberty cycler. I am now on my 10Th machine in 6 months. I was constantly getting red alarms and all sort of problems. This last machine I got is the new version software. I too was looking forward to the manual drain, But what is on the Liberty is a place to input if you did a manual drain during the day and the amount you filled. This is not a true manual drain, nor what I expected.

Less than 15% kidney function Oct 2009
1st PD Catheter July 2010
2nd PD Catheter Aug 2010
Started PD Oct 10 on Baxter Home Choice
Had to switch to Liberty Cycler Apr 2011
Mike_NC

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »

Yeah, when I started with the trial program to test new software, I was promised by my nurses and the Fresenius rep that a manual drain was included in the update. No such luck. Instead, there is the drain you (msrosefromms) speak about, referring to day time exchanges. Also there was the "stat" drain that can be used during a fill/dwell or if there is an overfill and the patient feels discomfort. The stat drain can be utilized to drain immediately. The manual drain that I have been told will be on the next update will simply be a manipulated version of the "stat" drain. Apparently Baxter holds the patent(s) to the function of a true manual drain and other cycler related functions and since Fresenius and Baxter can't play nice together anymore, we the patients, suffer.
msrosefromms

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »

I had the opportunity to meet with a Fresenius nurse and sales rep at clinic Friday, to ask questions and hopefully get answers. Questions I asked. First I did switch to Tidal on the 19 as the regular CCPD was not working for me.

1) Why do I only get alarms in drain 1 and 2 , and not in the initial drain and the final drain? The Reply was so you are not overfilled. The initial and final drains are set at 70 or 80 %. (They are making an assumption that in a dwell of 3 hours I am absorbing 20% of my fill and I have no UF. Wrong)

That was the main question I wanted answered. I drain about 1500 UF. I spent the night waking up at every drain  to try to make sure it is draining enough.  If I have not gotten the total UF at the end,
 I will do a manual drain in the AM and get off the rest. You can not use the STAT drain at the end of your treatment, course if you could I would still have to set up a manual fill.

Well, last night my initial drain was 2443 (57)UF, drain 1 3040, 540 UF, 3102, 602 UF, Final Drain 1791, (709)UF. So I was left with 700 of my last fill plus whatever Collection there was and then filled with 2500. Let me say that I had a bout of diarrhea after the 2nd fill, so they cannot use constipation as an excuse. When I woke up this morning I was so bloated and miserable. I weighed the same this AM as last night. I was gagging with the fluid overload.  As soon as possible I did a manual drain, total drain was 3600, 1100 UF.

I called my nurse, emailed her the info, she asked me to call in to put it on record. I did, Tech support wanted to know if I wanted them to send me a new machine. I told her it wasn't the machine, it was the software. Why do these people not let real patients work on testing the new software. Not every person is the same.

Well, I have had my overfill of the day, courteous of Fresenius.

:thumbdown;

Less than 15% kidney function Oct 2009
1st PD Catheter July 2010
2nd PD Catheter Aug 2010
Started PD Oct 10 on Baxter Home Choice
Had to switch to Liberty Cycler Apr 2011
Willis

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »

:Kit n Stik;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »