I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Man on kidney dialysis for 30 years sees role as inspiration to others
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man on kidney dialysis for 30 years sees role as inspiration to others  (Read 2636 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:06 AM »

Man on kidney dialysis for 30 years sees role as inspiration to others

Don E. Woods/South Jersey Times
on June 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM

MANNINGTON — For more than half of his life, Frank Hall has been on dialysis.

It started when he was 17 years old, a senior at Clayton High School who only thought about girls and basketball.

As it turned out, Hall was diagnosed with high blood pressure, which led to kidney failure.

For a total of 30 years, the Bridgeton resident has had to deal with the realities of kidney failure and regular trips to the doctor for dialysis.

"It was rough. That's what I try and explain to the other patients," Hall said. "The first five years I had the same feelings and emotions that they had — you're scared and fearing that you may not last. I felt that way for about 26 of those 30 years."

He's been going to Fresenius Medical Care, first when it was located at The Memorial Hospital of Salem County and now that it has been moved to its own facility south on Route 45, for 12 years.

"Even though I was making it through I still felt that way. But now that I've been making it here this far, I said, 'oh well, He's got me here,'" he said, pointing up to the sky.

"He wants me to stick around for awhile. I figure, the man up there wants to keep me around so I try to live for the dialysis."

Honoring his 30 years on dialysis, staff at Fresenius Medical Care presented him with special plaque — along with a cake Monday.

Hall and staff members also wore T-shirts congratulating him.

"The greatest wealth is health," read a banner bearing his name.

Hall goes to Fresenius Medical Care three days a week and has four hours of dialysis.

"It really is their whole day when they come here," said Peggy Shallcross, clinical manager at the facility. "Sometimes they see staff more than they see their family."

"That's why you're my family," Hall said.

It's important for the person to follow the doctor's instructions and only drink 32 ounces of water a day, according to Dr. Wamiq Sultan.

"I can tell you, time and again, we put our patients on dialysis who have literally been suffering and didn't want to come to dialysis because there is a stigma," Sultan said.

Sultan explained that an average patient on dialysis lives for another three years. Hall, however, has survived 10 times that amount.

To help the other patients, Hall enjoys telling other patients his story to help ease them and possibly give them hope. Even after receiving a failed kidney transplant and having to continue with dialysis, he still remains optimistic.

"You have to do it one day at a time. You can't look ahead of it, be discouraged or push people away when they're trying to help," Hall said. "As much as you might feel bad on those days, you really want to keep the doctors close because they really do want to help."

Hall — who was born and raised in Camden — has two daughters, works at the Pennsville Walmart and continues to live his life.

He even still plays basketball, whenever he can.

"The battle is to stay true," Hall said.

Contact staff writer Don E. Woods at 856-451-1000, ext. 518 or dwoods@southjerseymedia.com

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2014/06/fresenius_medical_care_honors_bridgeton_man_on_dialysis_for_30_years.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:48:51 AM »

Welcome to the club, Frank!
 :beer1; :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »