I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  17 month evaluation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 17 month evaluation  (Read 2075 times)
edersham

« on: August 10, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »

I just got the results from my  17 month evaluation yesterday and things are good. Creatinine 1.6 (mine has ranged from 1.5-2.2 since 3 days after tx). Its a good number for me but I still envy you lucky dogs that are lower but I am 63 years old. All other blood panel results were in the normal range. Urine showed some protein but the amount is decreasing so they think it is still coming from my old kidneys. I asked my neph a question about a little more sodium intake when I work outside in humid weather and sweat buckets. She said that was ok because you have a normal kidney now. Those were beautiful words that I hadn't heard in many years. I had only had the blood draw on Monday because Thursday night I was 3 hours late taking my meds so a Friday morning  draw wouldn't have been a trough level on the prograf. I told her that in 17 months I had been 3 hours late two times. She said that was a really good record because the average compliance rate for kidney tx patients with their ant-rejection drugs is 84%. I was surprised by that and I suspect the rate is a lot higher than that for ihd'ers.

Ed
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »

congrats and well done edeesham :clap;

as to taking meds, missed about 5 times in 12 months :stressed;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »

Only 84%?  Wow, that's not great.  I'm usually within 20 minutes, but I'm sure it's closer to 96 or 97 percent of the time.  Of course, the fact that my watch, cell, clock radio in the bed room, clock in the laundry room, and my dress watch all have alarms set might have something to do with it.  Sounds like a fire drill around here at 9 and 9.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »

Your numbers sound great, Ed! I have always been told it is stability rather than the number that matters most. Well done, you!

Interesting about levels of compliance. Compliance is a difficult concept to study, because one must define it. I do not think that being a few hours late would count as a lack of compliance. The last definition I saw was missing meds a least once a month, although taking meds incorrectly (on purpose) would also count, as would missing appointments, labs, not following a specific diet, and so forth.

I wonder if they somehow got hold of my pre-second transplant compliance records for that 84% figure? There were many times when I would have anchored the non-adherent curve. Second transplant I was so personally invested in the outcome and was so grateful for the chance to do this my way that I put all my energies toward following most directions to the letter. I think in the 12 months post-transplant, I probably missed 4 doses, give or take.

Long may your 'normal kidney' serve you! :beer1;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »

You and I are very much on the same track - age, length of transplant and creatinine.  Mine has never been under 1.4 and the last few months it is around 1.8.  So, they say that is my "normal".   Re: the meds - When I am out at night or on the days I have labs and can't take them immediately, I have more trouble remembering.   I carry emergency doses of the anti-rejection meds always.  There have been a couple of times that I was at my daughters and suddenly it is 9pm.  I take the emergency dose and take the rest (bp, lipitor, etc) as soon as I get home.    I am shocked at the 84%.   Like jbeany,  I have alarms everywhere.    But, I am also the only person who studies before taking a drivers license renewal test!!!   I like to get good marks!!   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »