I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 04:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Has anyone had a similar experience...EVER?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone had a similar experience...EVER?  (Read 3095 times)
Annig83

« on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »

Okay, so between three doctors, no one can figure out what is on my arm  I attached a pic. so that you guys might know what the heck this is?  I've seen my GP, and he said infection; I've been on 10 days of antibiotics and no results.  I saw my neph. and he said he has no clue what it is and that it is not caused by dialysis, or kidney function.  I saw my rheumatologist today, thinking it may be related to an auto-immune problem (since I have RA), and he said it's not, and not related to psorasis, sun, or something I used like soap, or lotions.  He gave me a shot of a steroid and I've yet to see any change. :banghead; 

So... if anyone has a clue please give me some feedback.  I guess the next step is a dermatologist, I am hoping it is not skin cancer... but I am unsure if it spreads this fast?  :(

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »

Oh, and PS it does not itch, burn, nor peel... sigh

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

I wonder if it's cellulitis. Is there a fluid-like cyst on your skin that's built up with fluid? Chances are if there is, then it could be that. He had to have it drained and go on a round of antibiotics to clear it up.

Good luck finding out what it is.   :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Annig83

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »

Nope, no cysts... guess that's a good thing :2thumbsup;

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »

Does it feel warm and tender to the touch?  Those are often signs of infection.

The fact that the antibiotic your physician prescribed hasn't helped, doesn't rule out infection.  It could be an infection that's resistant to that particular antibiotic.

Do you go to a center for hemodialysis?  If so, then your neph could order a blood culture, which would show just which bug (if any) it is. 

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »

thats what i look like when i get nervous... could be stress?
kind of like hives.. but they dont itch so im not sure what it could be...
did u change detergents of collogne or parfume lately? soap? shampoo? anything like that...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Annig83

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

I was on Doxycycline, a broad range antibiotic, and I had a blood draw, and so far no infection, I've had zero fevers, chills, etc.  No pain at all... it's so strange.  And I have not changed any detergents or soaps.  It's so weird, because it's only on my arms, very small on the left, and a large patch on the right (shown).   ???

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

yep.. I'd definitely have a blood culture done. just to rule out infection. It does look a bit like cellulitis.  It doesn't itch or burn, but sometimes hurts a bit.  I had it on my leg a few years ago and had to have a pressure bandage on my leg for a few days to bring the swelling down.

When I had it, the only time it hurt was when I put any weight on my leg. Since it's on your arm, you're probably not putting any weight on it

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Omg, you just reminded me of something!!!! My sis in law has the very same problem----happens when she gets stressed! I think she said it was something from having an underactive/overactive thyroid! Would you like me to ask her for you to confirm?

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »

It looks like Poison Ivy to me, but Im sure that is not what it is!  Oh dear, I hope you find out soon!

lmunchkin    :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »

I cannot recall... are you on PD? I remember reading about allergic reactions - here's a related article http://www.advancesinpd.com/adv05/Adv20053d-4.pdf
A rash is mentioned in this Q & A http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=15815.msg278516#msg278516

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Annig83

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

I am on PD, and I've seen the neph 2x and he says it isn't an allergic reaction.  I am seeing a dermatologist on Monday.

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »

Hmmm. looks like a rash of sort to me. Rashes are in thier own little catagory. I used to get hives also. Hives are uslually a little "spongy", but not always. The Derm will probably know right off the bat what it is. Drug reactions, heat so many reasons you may have this. Be sure to bring a list of the meds you take for I'm sure they'll wantto know. Hope it goes away soon!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/health/26brody.html?ref=health

I found this today in the New York times and thought it might be of some relevance here.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Annig83

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

Morein- that article is very helpful!  I was supposed to go to the derm. today but they moved my appt.  I had a steroid shot last week and it seems to be going away slowly from it.  I am supposed to call my rheumatologist in a few days.  I just don't know what it is since it's only on my right arm now.  I had one or two patches on my left arm, but that has disapeared  :2thumbsup;.  Thank you for the article though, I will bring it up to the derm and my neph.  The only drug I am on that causes photosensitvity is my Nifedpine, for BP, I've been on it since Nov. of last year, but as the article states, it could be some time before a reaction occurs.  I will let everyone know what the derm. or my rhuematologist say.  THANK YOU! :thx;

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »