I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 11:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  potassium 5.8, how serious?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: potassium 5.8, how serious?  (Read 6122 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »

My monthlys came back. Surprisingly, my k was 5.8 but I think I know what did it, you know holiday cookouts. I don't seem to be having any symptems, and right now my doctors not concerned. They are going to do a redrawl next week. He said 5.8 is a bit hi, but it's not in danger yet. What is considered a danger catagory?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »

What is considered a danger catagory?

6.5 and over.

5.0 to 6.0 is a bit high, but will be reduced after dialysis. You don't want to be as high as 6.5 even before dialysis.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »

I got a phone call from my neph's nurse when my labs came back showing K of 6.0.  My neph treated me with sodium bicarb tablets, and that brought my K down, although even now, it does creep above 5.4 occasionally.

(My transplant center decreed that I had to have my gallbladder removed before they'd list me.  I went to the hospital for the pre-admission hoo-ha, and my K was 5.5.  I was told by the anesthesiologist that was going to be assigned to me wouldn't put me to sleep with a K that high because the drugs they use tend to raise K levels, so for kidney patients, there is a bigger risk.  I had to be retested the next day, so in the interim, I ate practically nothing and took an extra sodium bicarb tablet.  Got my K down and my gallbladder out.  Not too relevant in your case, but I thought it was interesting; I didn't know this little factoid about anesthetics.)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »

Thanks mm, that is interesting to know, although that's why probably they refused to do my fistula surgery when my k was 2.0 a couple years ago.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »

Thanks mm, that is interesting to know, although that's why probably they refused to do my fistula surgery when my k was 2.0 a couple years ago.

Oh my...that is low!  Yeah, you're probably right.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »

9.2 is fatal - I know that from texasstyle's husband's recent near-death experience.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »