I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Working with Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working with Dialysis  (Read 6891 times)
Rodneyss1

« on: May 18, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »

I have been off from work since starting dialysis December 2010.  Luckely, I have been on short term disability since them.  I am about to transition to long term disability and have applied for my S.S. Disability Benefits.  Before going on dialysis, I used to work 50-60 hours per week.  With what's going on now in my life, I can barely get out of bed after my treatments.  Gosh, I don't know if I will ever have the strength to make back to the work place.  Can anyone offer advice or tell me this is normal?

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »

I think once you adjust to dialysis physically and mentally you will be able to go back to work. Maybe not 50 or 60 hours a week. I was a full time teacher and resigned from my job at the end of January.  I just couldn't keep up with the demands. After I took a month off and got myself back together mentally I started working part time. Now I am thinking about going back to school to either become a gift & talented teacher or special ed that way my classroom size will be guaranteed smaller. To accomodate my new dialysis life and energy levels. I think you can make it work but take your time and make realistic goals. I know there are other people on the boards who work (paul.karen?) full time and are doing well.

good luck and I know things are going to work out!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Rodneyss1

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!  I am going to give myself some time to adjust.  I have only been on dialysis since December, but it feels much longer than that.  Are you on disability?

End Stage- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »

Yes I have been approved for disablity but not supplemental social disabilty income (SSI) I am in my 5 month waiting period for my disability right now. The lady at the social security office told me that since I went back to working part time that they may take away my disability but so far I haven't received any letters so, I am just letting it ride. I mean they make you wait 5 months for a check...ummm hello I do have bills to pay!!! Thank goodness I have a significant other that helps me!

phew!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »

I went back to work part time once I got adjusted.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »

it is Ken Sherman and KarenWA that work full time and do dialysis!!! Way to go folks!! Sorry if I left anyone else out but these are the only 2 IHD members I can think of off the top of my dialysis brain!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:13:32 AM »

I work full time and do 3x week incenter HD as well.  Like KareninWA, I have a sit-down computer job so it's easy to do even from the center!

it is Ken Sherman and KarenWA that work full time and do dialysis!!! Way to go folks!! Sorry if I left anyone else out but these are the only 2 IHD members I can think of off the top of my dialysis brain!

xo,
R
brandi1leigh

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »

I stopped working when I went on Dialysis. My energy is so low and I also feel terrible after treatments. Luckily I had private disability insurance otherwise I don't know how I would make it.
Rodneyss1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »

Brandileigh.....I know exactly what you mean.  I am sooo glad I took out the Long Term Disability option at work when I started.  My job consists of me managing 50-60 people in Aircraft Maintenance and working 50--60 hours per week.  I was barely getting by before, and now.....can't do it.

End Stage- December 2010
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

Hi, I work full time, but I mostly sit at a computer.  Sometimes if I have to walk around the school (I work at a high school as the Principal's secretary) and it might tire me out, but for the most part, I hang in there.  I do HD in center 3 times a week. 

Good Luck.  ps I have just been on 1 year this month. 

:waving;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »

I do PD and work full-time. I'm actually trying to get a part-time job, too. Here's to hope?

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

Hi, I work full time, but I mostly sit at a computer.  Sometimes if I have to walk around the school (I work at a high school as the Principal's secretary) and it might tire me out, but for the most part, I hang in there.  I do HD in center 3 times a week. 

Good Luck.  ps I have just been on 1 year this month. 

:waving;

:wine;

Tracy cheers to your one year dialysisversary!!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
brandi1leigh

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »

Brandileigh.....I know exactly what you mean.  I am sooo glad I took out the Long Term Disability option at work when I started.  My job consists of me managing 50-60 people in Aircraft Maintenance and working 50--60 hours per week.  I was barely getting by before, and now.....can't do it.

How funny. While I'm a teacher by trade, my mom worked in airline maintenance for 25 years and I worked for her company during the summers growing up. They worked mostly on aircraft instruments.

Long term disability is by far the best decision I've made in my entire life. Texas teachers don't pay into Social Security. My retirement system does have a disability provision, but it won't be enough to live off.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

xo,
R
And my Blokey!  And for that I am extremely grateful; I do realise that some people really find it hard. 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »

I think once you adjust to dialysis physically and mentally you will be able to go back to work. Maybe not 50 or 60 hours a week. I was a full time teacher and resigned from my job at the end of January.  I just couldn't keep up with the demands. After I took a month off and got myself back together mentally I started working part time. Now I am thinking about going back to school to either become a gift & talented teacher or special ed that way my classroom size will be guaranteed smaller. To accomodate my new dialysis life and energy levels. I think you can make it work but take your time and make realistic goals. I know there are other people on the boards who work (paul.karen?) full time and are doing well.

xo,
R

You will work your "ass" off as a special education teacher.  Smaller class size does not mean easier job!   I have been a special education teacher for the last eighteen years, twelve on dialysis.  Good luck doing it all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
*kana*

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

I worked full time for the first 2 1/2 years until I just couldnt do it anymore.  I worked in a large hospital and was on my feet all day and would cry walking out to my car because I didn't think I could make it one more step.   I get 50% of my pay from SS and long term disability and I am doing ok. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »

xo,
R

You will work your "ass" off as a special education teacher.  Smaller class size does not mean easier job!   I have been a special education teacher for the last eighteen years, twelve on dialysis.  Good luck doing it all.

so true kit I agree. I was just going off the advice that the GT teacher at my D unit gave me.  I don't think I could do special ed either. It would probably drive me nuts.

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »