I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  How many times?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many times?  (Read 4482 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: June 11, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »

I found out that when I have a trasnplant, I will have to take my blood pressure, my weight and my temperature. I was asked if a I have a scale, a blood pressure monitor and a thermometer. I have two out of the three things. I am wondering though, I OFTEN will I have to monitor all these things?

How often do  all you people who have had transplants, how often do you do these things and........my biggest question is, when do you have to report something that doesn't 'look' quite right? I mean, do I get paranoid if my temp is up a degree? How will I know when to make 'the call?" to report something.

Are these things that have to be done daily? Is it  a case of once a day or 'several' times a day these things have to be monitored? I had a fleeting thought I might get paranoid if I check these things more than "once" daily. No one at my unit gave me any spedifications to follow, I was just curious to know what people do here? What's the norm?

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »

Upon discharge  I  was  given  a   Temp and  B/P  log.
I  was  told  to  check  them twice/day   (AM & PM).
Weight  daily.
this  was  on  log:

NORMAL  B/P 120/80  PULSE 60-80
REPORT  BLOOD PRESSURE  GREATER  THAN  160 (TOP #)
REPORT  BLOOD  PRESSURE LESS  THAN  90 (TOP #)
REPORT PULSE LESS  THAN  60  OR  GREATER THAN  120

NORMAL TEMP 98.6
REPORT LOW  GRADE TEMP  99-100  FOR  GREATER  THAN  24HRS
REPORT TEMP  OF  101 OR  GREATER

Since  I  also  got  a  pancreas,  in  the  beginning  I was  checking  BG (blood sugar) 2x/day
I  was  told to  report  ANY  BG's  over  200.
After  6 weeks  with  steady  (good)  BG's  I  was  told  to only  check  1x/day   two  hrs  after  dinner.
I  like  to  see where  I  stand,  so I  still check  AM  &  PM.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

They gave Jenna a blood pressure cuff when she was discharged.
We monitored her temp, weight and BP twice a day for a week.
Then once a day for 3 more days.
This is to watch for fluid build up, fever (infection) and blood pressure changes (to adjust meds) and after the first 10 days, with no problems, we only checked once in awhile. You're at the clinic just about 3 days a week anyway, to do labs, but this is added info to alert the transplant team as to any potential problems.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »

Thanks for the helpful insight.   :grouphug;   Yes, I will be at the clinic twice per week for labs.

Edited: fixed icon error - paris, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:39:30 PM by paris » Logged

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »

I had to monitor those for 4 months 4 times a day (did not always happen and that was ok), but they never looked at my reports (wish I never took the time to make a spiffy Excel document! :rant; ), but I also had and still monitor my blood sugar due to being diabetic. Not sure if you will have to do that if your on prednisone or not. If so, I have glucose monitors to give away. I get free ones each year. Some I try out and others I give away.

I still check b/p every now and again though since I am on b/p meds and doctors do ask at times what my b/p runs.

Before discharge the nurses and pharmacist went over everything and handed me a book on care after discharge. On one sheet it tells me when to call ASAP when temp is at a certain point or I feel a certain way. After a year though care is taken over by PCP and you do not call that ASAP number anymore, you just call the regular clinic number for my center.

You do not need to worry Cordelia

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »

I've not heard of having to monitor blood sugars while at home if on prednisone. I'm not diabetic.

I recall being told I would be given a binder of things to follow, but I've not seen it yet and won't til post transplant. I think the staff joked that they like to see the patients reading the binder while in the hospital. I will be calling it my new Bible. LOL ;D

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »

I've not heard of having to monitor blood sugars while at home if on prednisone. I'm not diabetic.

I recall being told I would be given a binder of things to follow, but I've not seen it yet and won't til post transplant. I think the staff joked that they like to see the patients reading the binder while in the hospital. I will be calling it my new Bible. LOL ;D

I've only read a couple times that people who were on prednisone and not diabetic had to monitor their blood sugars for a bit till their prednisone was lowered and stable. This was on a transplant forum I belong to that I read about a couple years ago. I don't think anyone here has had to do that, but I just brought it up just incase you have to and it wouldn't be such a surprise.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »

Thank you so much for the heads up Chris :grouphug;

Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »

I  think it's  a great  idea  to check  BG's  is you're  on  prednisone.    My  dad  had  back  surgery  and  was  put  on  prednisone  for over 1yr. 
He  developed  diabetes  due  to  Prednisone.

If you're  on  Prograf  or  Tacrolimus,   the  chances  of  developing  diabetes increase  as  well.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
lawphi

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »

Most first transplants are prednisone free these days at the centers in NC.

Hammett has to monitor his bp twice a day. He also takes his blood sugar three times a day because of prednisone. He is six weeks post transplant.

Apple sells a bp cuff that contents to an iPad or iPhone. The result is entered into a free app and can be emailed easily to your provider.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »

Apple sells a bp cuff that contents to an iPad or iPhone. The result is entered into a free app and can be emailed easily to your provider.

Where did you get that and how much does it cost?

I'd rather have that than the bulky unit I have, plus I can compare readings at the doctors office.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »

I hate blood pressure cuffs, my arm is super sensitive and I can only have it done on my left arm because of a preexisting injury to my right shoulder/arm.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »

I recieved a 3 ring binder while in the hospital  (N.C.)    I had an inhospital co-ordinator who had meetings with the entire family and went over things many times so everyone understood what needed to happen when we went home. She was a huge help.  In the binder, was a chart to list weight, fluid output, fluid input, bp and temp.  They did ask if we had the necessary equipment and would have provided them if I didn't have them.    If you are on Profgraf, they will monitor blood sugar also.  Mine went up while in the hospital and I had insulin shots. Never had sugar problems but Prograf can raise sugar levels. After the first week, those numbers were good.  Glucose is still about 10points over pretransplant, but no worries.   

It becomes routine to weigh, temp, cuff, and record then repeat again 12 hours later!    :rofl;    Writing down fluid intake and output was a good visual to know what you have had.  The doctor would go over those numbers at each visit.   

I feel they don't give you too much post transplant routine before transplant, because it can be overwhelming. When you are in the hospital, the staff is doing all the things and getting you into your home routine.  I still email my co-ordinator when I have any question and she answers within an hour or two.     Keep asking questions.  I asked everyone here about every little thing and the doctors said I was an extremely informed patient and didn't talk down to me.   I had a great experience and I owe a lot of that to IHD.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
edersham

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »

Cordelia,

I have a wrist BP cuff that matches the readings on the arm one given me by the transplant hospital to within 5 pts so that is an option.

Ed
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »

Gregory had an ancient blood pressure monitor which he pulled out of a box when he got ill last year, which makes me think that he probably received the same instructions.  I went out and bought a new glossy digital one.  He has always weighed himself daily, and I take his temperature when he seems to warrant it, and when he was sick he took his blood pressure regularly.  Perhaps this is a portrait of an ancient routine in disarray.  I should think that while things are new and you have to keep an eye on the new arrival, measurements would be very useful for all concerned, you included, to get a feel for how your system is traveling.  I'm a bit jealous of Chris's excel spreadsheet, but I'm not sure I could get away with measuring Gregory's BP and temp and graphing it.  I'd have a revolution on my hands.  ;)

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
lawphi

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »

Chris-  the cuff is $99 us dollars. http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4659LL/A

I am tempted to try it, as I could keep it on my purse and use anywhere.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »

Thanks lawphi
I will have to wait till I get the iPhone 5 to try it since it is only compatable with the iPhone 4 and I have an iPhone 3 GS. iPhone 5 is reportedly coming out later this year so I'll wait tiget the newer phone version.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

Was never required, or requested, to monitor anything post-tx discharge. Of course I was doing daily clinic visits for nearly a month where all that was done by them, and I would monitor my own weight just for myself (because I hate what the preds has done) and take my BP from time to time, but it has never been an official requirement. I've only taken my temp when I've not felt well since obviously if it gets above 37.5C I need to seek some kind of help.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

A wrist BP cuff sounds much better!   :2thumbsup;

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »

as RM said none of this was requested either.

you will come to figure out was a bump in the journey and what is worse.

just trust your instincts, when you go to clinic ask questions of any concerns you have

no question is too silly

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:27 AM »

Totally agree. I used to think oh it's stupid to ask this little thing or whatever, but they've heard it all before and let's face it if it's a question you're worrying about it's best to ask it - doesn't matter if the doc thinks you're stupid or whatever... you need the answer and when you have it even the comfort to have the answer, even if it's like "don't worry about it!" probably is just as important to your overall peace of mind.

Again I agree with trust your instincts. I won't go all metaphysical and claim I have some kind of mysttical or magical connection to Danny, but somehow i've always *known* when he's been doing OK. Just a hunch, or gut feel if you will (well, he's kinda close to the gut... specially how big mine's got thanks to the preds!  :rofl;) and yeah, while I would always OK tests and whatever somehow I always - or so far anyway - have known when things would be OK or not. I don't mean to be silly and ignore things that really could be serious - like pains in the transplant site, or high temp or something, but sometimes just listening to your own body and what it's telling you can be helpful too.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »