I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  other kinds of milk?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: other kinds of milk?  (Read 2677 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: May 04, 2011, 01:53:41 PM »

Knowing that dairy is to be avoided, I was wondering about Rice Milk, and Soy Milk. I'm thinking soy a bean, maybe a no-no but hmmmmm.. Looking for something to replace regular milk. And is there is a renal difference between no fat and whole? Thanks!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »

Dairy milk has a lot of potassium and phosphorus in it but.... whole actually has less than skim.  Weird I know. 

Soy milk is a no no, but (weird again) soy dream ice cream you can eat.

Rice Dream ORIGINAL (not Enriched) milk is the best to drink.  COLD!  It is white and looks like milk and pretty soon you will not know the difference..... unless you cheat and have a glass of real milk.

So buy Rice Dream Original  or Rice Dream Vanilla Original.  again... not enriched.  Enriched has all the good vitamins and minerials we have to avoid.

Check this out with your dietitian to be sure.

greg10

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »

You would want to watch for calcium and phosphate additives that is often added to non-dairy milk.

Even though whey protein isolates are derived from milk, the isolates do not contain as much sodium, potassium, calcium and phosphorus as whole milk and therefore if made into a shake, can make a pretty good milk substitute.  Zach has a great recipe for whey protein ice cream using the same principle.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/calcium-in-milk-vs-soy-milk-almond-milk-and-rice-milk/
Calcium Absorption in Dairy and Nondairy Milk

A lot of people argue that calcium found in natural foods is better absorbed by the body than from fortified foods. Whether this argument is true really depends on a number of factors.
Stomach Acidity: Calcium is better absorbed in acidic conditions. In this regard, lactose found in dairy milk does accelerate your body’s calcium uptake.
Presence of phosphate: Phosphate can inhibit calcium absorption. Studies have shown that fortification of nondairy milk with tricalcium phosphate have 25% less absorption efficiency compared to cow milk. However, if fortification is done with tricalcium carbonate instead, this disadvantage in absorption no longer exists.   
Calcium Precipitation: Fortified calcium can precipitate to the bottom of the container which decreases the total availability of calcium in your milk. Shaking your cartons well before serving is crucial to avoiding this problem.
Estrogen: Soy milk contain plant estrogen that increases your body’s ability to absorb calcium.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:09:40 AM »

reun: how do they expect anyone to figure out the diet? lol  No soy milk, but ice cream ok lol..  Now here's where I've always been confused.  You do , or don't want the calcium absorbed into your bones? That's sounds so stupid but everything is so different with diaysis.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:17:53 AM »

How about wheat-milk or almond milk ?

I have not yet tried them, but I was reading about them,

and I am wondering if anyone has tried them ?

Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »

Not even sure his is around anymore since I do not see it around. A product called Mocha Mix which was a non dairy creamer that my renal dietician told me was ok to use. It has nothing to do ith chocolate with a name like that though, but they did have ice cream at one time. Like the rice milk,  it had to be cold and took time to get use to. I do not know about the Carnation stuff, but from my experience the taste is bad unless in coffee.

Good question texas

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
greg10

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »

Zach's thread on Whey Protein ice cream recipe.  Some discussion on the phosphorus and potassium content of different types of whey protein.  Nothing on calcium though.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=19750.0

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »

Thanks, greg10,

it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards from Kristina.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:37:54 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
hexoffender

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »

Rice milk, although low in Phosphorus, has virtually no protein and double the carbohydrates of Almond milk. Not good for the diabetics or those watching our girlie figures. I just dont drink milk. Coffee- I like it sweet as sin, hot as hell, and black as night. YMMV.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »