I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Stop EPO
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stop EPO  (Read 4783 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: April 06, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »

Clinic called today and told me to stop taking EPO....  I am not to take EPO until my next lab..... guess my hemoglobin was 12.3.....   we do labs once a month..... I have been taking EPO twice a week... and for the last year  I have always remained in the 10.5 to 11.5.... now  I am up alittle.... might be because I am doing nocturnal now...   now sure.... I am getting iron treatments now...   

I hate this yo yo  effect..... everyone must be between 10 and 12..... there are no exceptions...   as I was told...  I am really feeling great...  now they want me to be more anemic and feel tired.....  I guess that is how we are suppose to feel....     

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
greg10

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »

A facility has more leeway (up to 26% patients over 12g/dL) when it comes to the upper limit on hemoglobin level.  They have very little leeway for the lower bound 10g/dL (only 2% patients allowed to be under), otherwise a performance penalty can kick in.

http://www.federalregister.gov/a/2010-33143/p-102

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:49:56 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Jie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »

When HGB is above 12, it is your benefit to stop it, unless you want to increase chances for heart attack...
Brightsky69

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »

yup...my dialysis clinic use to monitor my Epo and never wanted my HGB to get too high. So they would take me off it for a week or so here and there.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »

Yeah, that's standard.  If they start letting it drop to close to 10 and you feel more fatigue, you can insist that you need a different dose.  I hated the bouncing back and forth.  Up to 12, back to 10, and then you can have another big dose.  I fussed until I got them to go to a low level dose all the time.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »

When HGB is above 12, it is your benefit to stop it, unless you want to increase chances for heart attack...

I dont understand why someone would be in risk of a heart attach with levels above 12  ???    The standard for hemoglobin is 12 to 16... as I understand...       

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »

I dont understand why someone would be in risk of a heart attach with levels above 12  ???    The standard for hemoglobin is 12 to 16... as I understand...     

It might be the EPO more than the hemoglobin itself.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/anemia/

tyefly, it is true that in kidney patients, higher hemoglobin levels achieved by EPO or Procrit result in a higher risk for heart attacks and stroke.  A couple of years ago, I had to take Procrit for a short time, and there was a black box warning on it about this very thing.  I am not sure exactly what the biomechanical reason is behind this risk, but it is there and has been documented.  Just another thing that makes dosing a kidney patient more problematic.  Studies have also shown that patients on nocturnal have less need of EPO, so that's a good thing!!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »

Jenna's hemoglobin is 10.7 and her nephrologist asked if she'd feeling tired, short of breath when out walking, eating ok, energy level ok? She said she feels fine so he said they want to wait until she has symptoms before giving Epogen. She still takes iron and eats a normal diet.

After reading the risks, I think he's right to not rush into it http://www.drugs.com/pro/epogen.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
murf

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »

My HB has been about 14 for the last four years so don't take EPO. Not sure if this is related but about to have a triple bypass as calcium has narrowed the arteries.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
greg10

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »

"EPO use is associated with hypertension, endothelial dysfunction, and prothrombotic and inflammatory states in hemodialysis patients."  Therefore you want to use the lowest effective EPO dose, in our case we believe subcutaneous route is the most effective, generally achieving the same hemoglobin results using approximately 2 to 3 times less dosage than IV.

Abstract

Intravenous (i.v.) iron and recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), like all other medications, are associated with the risk of adverse events. Historically, the primary concern with iron therapy has been the possibility of iron overload, which exposes the individual to the effects associated with nontransferrin-bound iron. Experience with EPO use has demonstrated an association with hypertension and with the upregulation of a number of markers of inflammation. The impact of these potential adverse effects merits careful analysis, given that both i.v. iron and EPO are designed for long-term use in a patient population at high risk for infection and cardiovascular disease. However, the incidence of iron overload and the risks associated with nontransferrin-bound iron have dramatically been reduced since the introduction of EPO therapy, and no data exist that demonstrate a definitive association between i.v. iron and an increased risk of morbidity related to infection or cardiovascular disease. On the other hand, EPO use is associated with hypertension, endothelial dysfunction, and prothrombotic and inflammatory states in hemodialysis patients. Risks associated with hypertension can be minimized by using the lowest effective EPO dose, which may be achieved through the regular use of i.v. iron. Judicious use of both i.v. iron and EPO may optimize cardiovascular outcomes.

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v69/n101s/full/5000403a.html

Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
greg10

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

Another often overlooked aspect of EPO management is that of the serum albumin level of the hemodialysis patient.  If you are low in serum albumin, ie under 4 g/dL, you can often increase your hemoglobin level by just increasing protein intake while maintaining equal EPO injection, assuming you are getting adequate dialysis.  The following chart illustrates the  correlation.  Zach's whey protein ice cream is looking better all the time :)

Another way to look at this chart is that in order for the patient to respond well to EPO regiment (sensitive to EPO), you would need to have adequate serum albumin levels - and that means sufficient protein intake.
Serum Albumin Is Strongly Associated with Erythropoietin Sensitivity in Hemodialysis Patients
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2390989/

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:21:25 PM by greg10 » Logged

noahvale
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:24:35 AM by noahvale » Logged
carson

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

Does anyone know if Aranesp is also considered in this information? I was switched to Aranesp a few years ago and my hemoglobin has been 14 many times. They took me off it for a while feeling that my body had started making it's own hormones to create RBCs...but they were wrong  ::)

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »

Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa), Epogen (epoetin alfa), and Procrit (epoetin alfa) are erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (or ESAs) widely-prescribed for the treatment of anemia in cancer patients, chronic kidney failure patients and HIV patients.

All three drugs are manufactured by Amgen, Inc., a multi-billion dollar biotechnology corporation based in Thousand Oaks, California. ESAs were introduced over fifteen years ago and recently accounted for more than $10 billion in sales in a single year.

Serious safety concerns about ESAs began growing in 2004 and in November of 2006 the FDA issued an Official Alert regarding the three drugs. The FDA warned that studies have indicated an increased risk of death, stroke, heart attack and blood clots in patients with chronic kidney failure, when higher-than-recommended doses of ESAs are taken. Other studies have shown accelerated tumor growth in head and neck cancer patients – also noted when higher doses were taken.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »

Serious safety concerns about ESAs began growing in 2004 and in November of 2006 the FDA issued an Official Alert regarding the three drugs. The FDA warned that studies have indicated an increased risk of death, stroke, heart attack and blood clots in patients with chronic kidney failure, when higher-than-recommended doses of ESAs are taken.

I wonder what a higher than recommended dose is...  I can understand taking too much of something and having side effects...  Does anyone know what a normal dosage is...   

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »

I wonder what a higher than recommended dose is...  I can understand taking too much of something and having side effects...  Does anyone know what a normal dosage is...

When Medicare first approved paying for EPO in the early 1990s, it paid a flat per dialysis treatment dose of 4,000 units.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Jie

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »

The target dose is the amount that makes the HGB to be 11-12. You can adjust the dose based on your lab results. Medicare even does not want to pay for it if the HGB is above 12.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »

update....  I have had no epo for over a  month.....  got my labs today  and my hemoglobin is now down to 10.0...    they have been pumping me up with iron......  and Now my iron is up to 76 mcg/dl....   Now I have iron and no epo.....   and   Yes    I am tired now.....my red blood count is down to 2.87....    No more labs untill two more weeks...   I wonder what my labs will look like by then.....   I was feeling so good..... when my hemoglobin was in the 12....and now  tired....  Funny  now that I am getting over 40 hours of dialysis a week and yet I am still  tired.....like I was before I started D.....  this is no fun.... its almost summer and I need energy...

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
greg10

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

update....  I have had no epo for over a  month.....  got my labs today  and my hemoglobin is now down to 10.0... ..
I don't see why they would want to be in non-compliance with the Quality Incentive Program if you fall below 10.0.  Please see the chart above and remind them of the QIP and that they only have a 2% margin for patients falling below 10.0.
http://www.federalregister.gov/a/2010-33143/p-102

Since you are doing home dialysis, you could extend the effectiveness of EPO by doing subcutaneous injections as opposed to IV.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:00:22 PM by greg10 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »