I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 07:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Have a transplant date: March 29th, 2011
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have a transplant date: March 29th, 2011  (Read 12901 times)
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

Hi all,

Here I am on the "other side" 2.5 days later.  I feel pretty good all things considered.  The after-surgery pain was less than my first c-section, but about the same amount of pain of the second c-section even though the incision is 4 or 5 times longer.  I counted at least 30 staples earlier today while waiting for an ultra-sound.

My donor (brother) went home today!!!  2.5 days in the hospital.  The kidney was removed laparoscopically and he was ready to go home.  I hope to go home on Saturday or Sunday.  Gotta run - Dr. is coming.  I will give a better update when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:08:11 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »

Great news, Sax!  :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :cheer:

w00t!

:clap; :clap; :clap;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »

Great news!     :2thumbsup;    :yahoo;   :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 07:14:53 AM »

:thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;
very happy to hear this Sax0Trix, and to hear that your wonderful donor-brother is well and home.  Soon the weekend will be over, and at some time, (maybe when they predict, maybe sooner maybe later...) they will let you home... Keep on healin, and counting those stitches, you should be proud of each one.
 :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;
 :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;
keep us informed.  Big hugs to you and your kidney collection (do you have three now?)    :grouphug; :grouphug;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
sgcline

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 05:58:52 AM »

Wonderful news!  Can't wait for more updates.   :cheer:

10/8/10 - Diagnosed with kidney failure.  Determined was born with small kidneys.
2/9/11 – Pre-emptive kidney transplant.  My sister was my living donor.
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

7 days post-op...  I just knew that a preemptive transplant couldn't be w/o difficulties.  The actual surgery went well, post-op went pretty well, but then I had a severe reaction (life threatening) to the Tacro.  Basically, my red blood cells were under attack and my hemo levels went real low.  I had to have an emergency chest cath placed (that sucked), two Plasmapheresis treatments (perhaps only one more to go), two blood transfusions and until this morning, the threat of a biopsy because my Creatinine was 2.0 yesterday. 

The labs are better today (hemo up, Creatinine down to 1.7).  We are still looking at another Plasmapheresis treatment or two over the next few days, but I may be able to go home today or tomorrow (more likely tomorrow.)  No immediate biopsy, but you all know how that goes. 

One day at a time for a while here. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:35:16 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

carol1987

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »

Sorry you are having such difficulties Sax.... but glad things are improving!  I will keep sending good thoughts your way!!!!

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

Sax thinking of you and sending positive vibes you way!! Keep soildering on pal!!
Thanks for the update!!!
xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

Transplants can be so rough at the start, but Sax, you never know:  If you can get through all this hideousness in the begining ... sounds like its been hell.... then you may be up for many long peaceful years later.   Hoping for you and sending good vibes too.

Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »

Hope you are doing better. Please hang in there. I had my transplant on the 28th of March and everything is going well. I did not get stitches or staples but just the glue. Welcome to the club.
Larry

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »

What a wild ride it has been thus far...  I am exactly five weeks out and am finally figuring out some of what happened two days post-transplant.  The official diagnosis of my blood disorder was Thrombotic Microangiopathy/TMA; Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura - Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome or TTP/HUS.  I ended up with the TMA because of Tacrolimus/Prograf, so I wanted to let you all know that this is a possible complication of immunosuppressent therapy.  It can also happen for other reasons (listed below), most commonly during pregnancy. I was lucky that my immediate post-transplant team caught this when they did, even though I didn't feel so lucky at the time having the emergency chest cath placed, plasmapheresis treatments, blood transfusion, extra days in the hospital, extra blood draws and enduring the absolute terror I felt the entire time this was hanging over my head.  I am counting my blessings as I am still here to talk about the experience.

For those of you who are interested in medical stuff, I have included a description of TTP/HUS from the Nephrologychannel.com website:

Overview of HUS and TTPHemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS) and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) are microangiopathic disorders—that is, they are characterized by abnormalities (chiefly blood clots) that occur within the small blood vessels of the body. Both HUS and TTP are distinguished by blood clots within the capillaries and arterioles of many organs. Such clotting is associated with hemolytic anemia (low red blood cell count due to cell rupture) and low numbers of platelets (cell-like bodies responsible for blood coagulation).

Hemolytic anemia results from the fragmentation of the red blood cells when they pass through areas of thrombi (masses or clots) or turbulence in the circulation. Such forces shear the cells in half, producing cell remnants that appear as helmets and other odd shapes when viewed under a microscope. In fact, the diagnosis of HUS-TTP is aided by microscopic examination of the blood for sheared red blood cells.

Causes and Risk Factors for HUS and TTPAlthough the exact cause(s) of HUS and TTP are unknown, experts believe that an abnormal, inflammatory reaction within the blood stimulates the deposition of platelet-rich thrombi. It has been observed that a circulating and/or missing factor in the blood perpetuates the process. Therefore, HUS/TTP patients often benefit from treatment that removes the plasma (fluid, non-cellular part of the blood) and replaces it with donor plasma.

Many diseases and conditions have been found to spur the development of HUS and TTP, including:

Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) infection. EHEC is a diarrhea-producing bacterium that has been associated with epidemic outbreaks of HUS in children. This particular bacterium (OH157:H7) has been identified in undercooked meat as well as other foods.
Pneumococcal pneumonia infection
AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome)
Drugs, for example, oral contraceptives, chemotherapeutic medications (mitomycin C, bleomycin, cisplatinum), immunosuppressive agents used during organ transplantation (cyclosporin, tacrolimus), stroke-preventing drugs (ticlopidine hydrochloride), quinine
Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
Pregnancy and the postpartum period

Signs and Symptoms of HUS and TTP
The general symptoms associated of HUS-TTP are quite variable. Purpura (bleeding into the tissues) sometimes can be seen in the skin, and patients often complain of tiredness due to anemia. Some individuals with TTP may have neurological symptoms and fever.

HUS and TTP DiagnosisHUS and TTP usually are diagnosed by the combination of low platelets and anemia caused by hemolysis. Other findings may include fever, renal failure, and neurologic abnormalities.

Treatment for HUS and TTPIt is essential to treat HUS and TTP, as the mortality rate without treatment is close to 90%.

Treatment involves:

Plasma exchange with fresh plasma—Plasma should be replaced on a daily basis until the platelet count normalizes—typically after 5 to 15 treatments.
Plasma exchange with cryosupernatant of plasma—Individuals who are resistant to plasmapheresis (plasma removal and transfusion) with fresh plasma may need this more intense, twice daily regimen with plasma cryosupernatant (plasma derivative).
Additional medication with vincristine and intravenous gammaglobulins

Relapses are not that uncommon in people who have had HUS or TTP. Such cases may require another course of treatment. One study reported a relapse risk of 36% over a 10-year period. Therefore, patients need to be followed-up indefinitely.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:37:17 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »

Goodness Sax-o-Trix.  It seems as if, from this description, that they can get it under control, since they talk about relapses.  Are you alright now? 

5 weeks Haemo 2012

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »