I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 08:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello from Washington. (:
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from Washington. (:  (Read 7305 times)
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »

DPB,

I'm planning on returning to school in the fall. :) There's no way this thing is stopping me, I'm a very determined little thing! It's just an unexpected setback, and taking some time off was the right thing to do (even though I'm itching to be back already)!

As far as your friends and partying, girl, all I can say is that you may have to party differently. I'm assuming because of your health issues that you can't have mixed drinks. But you can still listen to music. You can still dance and shake your butt. LOL! You can still laugh, joke and flirt and talk trash about people you don't like. LOL.

Well after much discussing with some of the other members, I've come to terms with the fact that I might can get away with some shots...but aside from that, this is so true!!! Hahaha. And I intend to find ways to still have fun, I kind of lost that last semester when everything started happening. Things like this can kill your spirits.

I actually really like the social worker at my clinic, and I think it'd be easy to talk with her. Our first meeting, I could've said a lot of things, but my mom was there and I didn't want her to hear some of it. This has been hard enough on her, and I don't want to her suffer anymore than she already has with it. My family has been an AMAZING support! I couldn't ask for better people in my life. It's nice to know that I have so many others on here that I can turn to though for those things that they just don't understand...or the things that I just can't bear to tell them.

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »

Can I just jump in here for a second?  Sammiejo, please don't keep your feelings from your mom in an effort to "protect" her.  My son is your age, and if I thought for a moment that he was afraid to talk to me for any reason, no matter how noble, I'd be devastated.  Of course your mother is upset; which parent would not be?  But that doesn't mean that she can't cope with your feelings.  Please don't deprive her of the opportunity to support you because that's what we parents are for.

That said, I do understand that a young lady doesn't want to tell her mom everything all the time.  And it is also true that your mom won't be able to understand all of your feelings because her kidneys have not failed.  There are some things that we will be able to understand that your family cannot.  But I know that the most important thing to her is for you to feel that you can come to her with anything.  Like you, she needs some time to get used to how the world has changed.  Be patient with her, and let her in. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »

MooseMom, don't worry, I'm actually very open with my mom. I trust her more than anyone. A lot of what I wanted to say were the things that she probably wouldn't understand...though perhaps that isn't my place to really say whether she would or wouldn't, and I should probably give her a more fair chance than that. I really hadn't thought about it from a mother's perspective, and the last thing I would want to do is make her feel bad! That would crush us both.

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

It's natural to want to protect people you love.  I know that together, you and your mom will support each other.  I'm just so glad you have such a supportive family as that makes all the difference in the world.  I know that all of this kidney stuff has been so hard, but you know, you have a better chance than many people do to get through it OK.  You are young, smart and well supported.  Not only that, but you have a brave and open heart.  I suspect that not only will you do well in coping with what has happened, you'll also be an enormous help to the thousands of young people just like you who may not have the strength that you do.  And not just young people, either.  I think you could be a real light in the lives of renal patients of all ages.  Despite your kidney problems, you have a wellspring of psychological energy that you can share.  I really do believe you could make a real difference to a lot of people.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
willsmom

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »

Hi,
I just read your posts and I think I can identify with your feelings. The way my best friend said it was, "I'm tired of you getting your teeth kicked in." My little one, Will, had complications at his birth (vasa previa). We both bled out and died and we both came back. As a first time mom I imagine we had the same feelings. This was not the post delivery bliss and lovely 1st's I had intended. But then something happened. I loved my son and his disease... anyway. I learned all I could even though doc's can be stingey with information. And I decided that once the dust settled we would live our lives BIG.
Today, we've had our ups and downs. But we also giggle, and write letters, and blow raspberries at each other. I learned to ask/ tell myself, "Screw it,  what can we do for fun anyway?" So my question for you is, what makes you giggle and how do you find fun anyway?
Proud of you,
Will's Mom
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »

:cuddle;

Hi sammiejo,

You seem like you are getting things under control so you can live your life. My mom started dialysis when she was 76. She's now 79. She does pretty well in-center hemo. She first had a graft and now is doing wonderfully with a fistula.

What do you plan on studying? I have a 19 yo son who actually dropped out for now to get his head together about what he wants to do. Not a very popular decision, but it was right for him.

Take care and come and talk often!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:49:43 AM by ODAT » Logged

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Mygochu

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »

I'm glad to see that your staying positive about all of this, just know you are not alone.  I know how it is to have your youth and fun taken away from you.*sniff* Glad to hear you will attend school again ... if only I could be as motivated as u .. lol, Stay strong and live life  :bestwishes;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »

Welcome to the group, Samantha.  Lots of good information and friends here.  Glad you found us!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »