I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 03:30:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Got the call for a transplant- and then...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got the call for a transplant- and then...  (Read 2179 times)
onestronglittlelady

« on: May 02, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »

Well I had a test run of getting the call for a transplant. Unfortunately after they examined the kidney, they didn't feel it would work.  We prayed on the 2.5 hour drive to the center, that it would only be put in if it was a good one. Guess it was not meant to be this time.

Does this happen often? Just curious how many other people have went through the highs of getting the call and the low after you are told to go home and wait.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:26 PM »

I received a living donor, so I have no experience.  But I do believe it happens quite a bit.  Keep your bag packed.  Hopefully you'll get another call really soon.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
lawphi

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »

Bless you.  This hopefuly will be the only time you experience the heartbreak.

My husband received the wrong kidney when he was 14 and it clotted the next day due to issues specific to that kidney.  Two weeks later, he received the right kidney had had thirteen great years before failing from the medications.   

iin 2008, we also received a cadaver offer and were on standby for the kidney to arrive from out of state.  At the last minute, the flow crossmatch came back positive.  On paper, the immunologist said it should not have been a positive crossmatch.  That was one of the worst days of my life.  I did not sleep or eat in the twelve hours we were waiting. 

The good news is that you are high enough on that list to have received an offer.  Depending on your PRA, blood type and other listing material, you could expect an offer sooner than later. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »

Hang in there.   :pray;

carla13

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »

Hi,
I believe it's quite common for this to happen. I do know someone over here who had 3 false calls! I hope there's a kidney coming for you soon!

hugs
x
carol1987

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »

I know how difficult it must be to get that call and not get the kidney... but I think your prayer is a wise one!! 
I hope you get the  right kidney for you very soon!!   :cuddle;

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:22 AM »

You want the right kidney for YOU!

Hang in there. It will be coming your way.

At least now you know what to do!  :grouphug;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:39:24 AM »

Yes indeed it can happen. I know this is very difficult for you- with all that excitement and emotional buildup and hope over a few hours to be dashed.

I'm sorry it didn't work out - but clearly the best decision FOR YOU has been taken in the longer term. They don't just toss a coin or lightly make a choice that affects a person's life so much. They have to way up many risks and potential outcomes and make a considered and informed decision. These are the expects we have to trust to make that call for us.

While it didn't happen to me like that, it may very well have. I was called for the tx and they actually prepared me for surgery taking me to the OR and preparing me. The surgeons came to me as I lay outside the OR waiting prepped with drugs and stuff and said that they weren't sure about the kidney and they needed to examin it properly for themselves (it had just arrived I believe) to be confident it would be OK. They had suggested it was "sub optimal" (you figure out what that means) from the reports they had, and they wanted to make a final call. So they basically said look we'll put you under, but you may wake up with no kidney if we make that call. We're going to get you ready so if it's a GO it's going to happen with a minimum of delay which is good.

So what could I do? I agreed to those conditions,signed the form etc and really I was happy enough with that. I would want them to check everything they could to make sure it would be the best match for me and give me the best experience post tx- what's the point if it's not going to be any good? Of course it's all a risk, and even if it looks good it might not be (or vice-versa) but these experienced teams are the ones who know better than mst what looks good and what doesn't.

Well anyway I did wake up with my kidney, and so far despite some bumps and other, likely unrelated issues, it is a real trooper 5 months down the track. Don't know how long for, but they did tell me after the op that the kidney looked much better than they expected and it was a quick process to determine it wouldbe good to go and hopefully it will be for a long time to come.

I hope your next call is boith soon, and you wake up with that vital gift inside you.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »

If you got a call that means that you are up high on the list.  I got a false call and a couple of month later, I got called again and the kidney transplant worked out fine.  Your time will come.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »