I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  tummy weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tummy weight  (Read 1753 times)
Kay

« on: April 23, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »

Hi everyone on IHD

My husband has been doing CAPD for about 5 months now.  I am concerned that his stomach is getting bigger  - he is eating well and the CAPD is going well - but it just looks so heavy. Since starting dialysis he has put on 3kgs of flesh weight.  Is this tummy fat common in people on CAPD? 
Kay
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »

Is he diabetic?  I am, and my doc said doing PD would make me gain a lot of weight and screw up my glucose levels because the sugar in the solution.  (That's why I did hemo instead.)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Kay

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

Hi Jbeany,
Yes, he is insulin dependent diabetic. Also for the past two months he has been taking CAPD bags with glucose in overnight because of the contamination of Extraneal.  I think you may have found the answer. I was beginning to panic because his tummy became distended just before he went into renal failure and almost died. I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear your suggestion.  God bess you.  My husband was on haemo for about 3 months but it was just so stressful driving to the hospital three days a week - and all the waiting around. We find CAPD is good , but I think we will use the weakest bags and Extraneal at night ( no glucose in this). I am hoping we can get at a transplant soon - just a few more tests for me to do and God willing we can stop the dialysis -wouldn't that be heavenly!
All the best,
Kay :thx;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:47:06 AM »

Just like a pregnant woman, his abdominal area will stretch to hold the dialysate.  He should exercise several days a week, because, depending on the strength of the fluid he holds, his body can ingest between 700 and 1000 calories a day from the dextrose in the fluid.
Kay

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »

Dear Peleroja,
I had no idea he is taking up so many calories!!  Looks like I will have to cut back on his food -- although it is good he has a healthy appetite and I am anxious he does not become anaemic  - so far he has not had to take  the injection they give if the haemoglobin falls too low. All suggestions will be helpful. He is having a bit of groin pain at the moment - probably all the weight around his middle  - exactly like a pregnant lady  - God love him!!
Hope you had a lovely Easter.
Kay :waving;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »