I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Lost Volume?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost Volume?  (Read 1899 times)
CHeatherS

« on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »

I am new at this, what, 2 weeks at home manual exchange dialysis.  So usually I have more volume on my drain than what I filled.  But tonight I had a LOT less.  I am scratching my head, thinking, where the heck did it go?  In one afternoon did my body absorb it?  Is this normal?  It kinda shocked me. 

I guess I don't totally understand all of the dynamics.  I am thinking "filtering out the waste" more than anything else, as I haven't had much of a problem with edema, but I am thinking, was I dehydrated and so my body balanced it out? 

Thanks, I need some education here, heh.

Heather
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »

I do the overnight cycler and I'm often absorbing fluid. I never know why I have an initial drain one day of 60 mL and the next day of 1060 mL. If you're really worried you can ask your PD nurse but I think you're ok.
CHeatherS

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »

Thanks Jeannea..... I am just going along here as if I know what I am doing.....  but that took me off guard.  I have a lot to learn.  Next month I go on the night cycler too.
cath-hater

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »

Tell us how much you put in and how much is coming out.  From personal experience, I sometimes put in 1800ml and get out 1600ml.  But then on my next exchange, the 200ml shows up.  This fluctuates by 100 give or take.  But if your missing something like 500ml or more, I would tell the nurse and see what they say.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
CHeatherS

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:53 AM »

Well, I am still on the manual exchange, so it was on the 3rd exchange of the day that I lost about 500 ml!  So the next one, I put in 2500 mL and when I drained, there was 3400!!!!  So whatEVEr happened, it seems to have balanced out, and all the while my bp seemed fine.  The only thing I can think of, is I went to lunch with friends, and don't usually eat out.  I ate some salty potato salade, and too much.  I didn't feel well when I got home and just mostly lay down, without getting the exercise I needed.  So I was just maybe dehydrated.....  But now I feel fine. 

Thanks!!!!  I will tell the center about it tomorrow and see what they think. 

Heather
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:23:43 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:48:25 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »

As Henry mentioned move around a little.  The end of the cath floats around inside your belly.  So upon draining when it setles it could be at an odd angle and be unable to fully drain out.  Move around do some jumping jacks try to lay down or even sit up or pace around a little.

Will you be doing the machine soon?

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »

It also depends on what strength of bag you are using.  When I used 1.5 I always had a net loss.
cath-hater

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »

It's good to hear that the lost solution came out during the following exchange.  I wouldn't be worried at all.  If the solution disappears and NEVER shows up, that is when I would panic.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
CHeatherS

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »

Thanks so much all, it's very good to be able to talk about this with folks who have more time in on this than I do.  There are somethings that you just have to go through to get it, I think, but your experience really is reassuring.  I am feeling better this morning, and at 1.5 found another 500ml, so I think that potato salad was way too salty for me, and it took a while to let go.  I shall watch what I eat more carefully. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »