I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Non on D yet - but have an urgent question...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non on D yet - but have an urgent question...  (Read 3247 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: April 12, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »

My neph wanted to start me on D a month ago - I said no.  I stilll feel fine, for the most part.  What I want to know is, do they let you pee mid-session?  I still pee frequently, and I don't know how I will do being stuck to a chair w/a needle in my arm doing the "sit and wiggle" pee dance! 

I'd like to do NxStage eventually, but not if I have to pee as much as I do (nocturnal could be a problem...)

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »

Yes, they let you off to pee.  Just make sure you ask them a little in advance so they can get to you.  It takes them a few minutes to get you off.

:thumbup;

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »

Yes, they let you off to pee.  Just make sure you ask them a little in advance so they can get to you.  It takes them a few minutes to get you off.

:thumbup;

Some units do, some units don't. I think the trend is to bring you something to go the bathroom in rather than take you off.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »

My unit will unhook you and let you go.  Remember that they are pulling fluid off of you during dialysis. Limit your fluid intake and I think you will be okay.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »

Depends on how well you are reacting to the treatments, too.  If you end up wobbly, they aren't going to let you stand up and hike across the room.  Instead, you get that charming potty chair and the "privacy" curtain that has none.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »

I was worried about that also..... but I have found that when you are doing dialysis you dont need to pee as much if at all.....   I am doing nxstage nocturnal now and worried about not being able to get up and go as I have done for a long time... guess what.... I dont have to go anymore at night.....  I think you will manage....and yes the clinics do let you go if you need to...... Not a big deal.....

Its all the unknowns that drives you crazy....... It did me too.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
cookie2008

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »

Most units will try to get u to use a bedpan, when I had my permacath in they told me I couldnt use the bathroom due to infection, when I started using my fistula they let me off to use the bathroom.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
calypso

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »

I've heard PD is the best modality for those with some renal function left because it helps preserve renal function. But these are things to discuss with your nephrologist to find which modality is best suited to you.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:26:44 AM »

Basically what everyone else has said.

Yes, they would prefer to unhook you, but this can take some time (it's not instant, a few minutes depending on how long it takes you to clot etc). Though if it's urgent you can have a bottle/pan(NOT FUN!). However as others have said you will likely find once you actually start on dialysis the amount you need to pee will drop down, and the number of times a day you need to go will be reduced, so it probably won't wind up being an issue.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:34 AM »

Karen,

We ave traveled and have used at least a dozen units throughout the US in addition to our home unit and two others here in Tampa. Most have been DaVita units, several have been Fresenius units. So far only one has refused to allow the use of the bathroom and insisted on a bedpan instead. The unit was a DaVita in Michigan.

My brother's dialysis access has been via catheter for most of our travels.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
phyl1215

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »

I am on PD with 12% function so I still go a lot.  I was taught that PD does help you keep your kidney function longer as it is more gentle on the body and helps keep the bladder working longer.  I am maintaining my function for a year now.  :thumbup;

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »

It worried me before I started hemo. How could I last for more than a couple of hours?

I found in reality it was a non-issue. The unit said they would disconnect me so that I could go to the bathroom, but I've never needed to do so.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »

This was a real problem for me, because I had a badly enlarged prostate (67 cm^3), and I was getting the urge to pee at least once an hour.

Rather than having to get off the dialysis machine twice in each session, I elected to just use a urinal.  They pulled the curtains around me, and I would pee into the urinal while being dialyzed.  (Each pee was only a few ounces, but an enlarged prostate makes you feel like your bladder is full.)

Later on, I had prostate surgery which fixed the problem.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »

PD does help retain some kidney function.  It took 4 years for me to stop peeing completely while on PD.

My unit will unhook you if you really need to go, but it does take a minute or so to do, so don't wait till it's urgent to ask.  I only had to ask once, and it was only because I knew I couldn't hold it, and they weren't giving me no pan for that.. *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »