I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 11:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Nx Stage is contagious.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nx Stage is contagious.  (Read 4143 times)
lawphi

« on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »

We Asked our nephrologist about Nx Stage when we first found out we were stuck on hemo in June.  We started training in January and will be the first in our center to receive the machine. 

Since January, eight other patients have  now scheduled to train for the machine. 

It is our second week and I have a fully functional husband after his sessions.  He was allergic to the center solution and has had zero issues since switching. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »

:clap; :clap; :clap;

Great news!!!!

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »

Simple amazing.......   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »

Know what you mean about hooked.  We love it & thank God for the different options that are available now.  You know these options have not always been available for patients. With the technology and new stuff now days, Im sure they will be growing their own kidneys soon!

I think alot of people in-center just dont feel that they can do it at home. For whatever their reasons, its okay, but I do wish they would at least try it and if they dont like it they can always go back.

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »

I agree.....  trying is the key.....  and with people like you who will spread the word about Nxstage.. more and more people will find that its really better than in center......

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
homepartnerctl

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »

We are so thankful for Nx Stage. The people are real life savers, even spent 2 hours 1 night with a tech while he was out Christmas shopping. Never got impatient with my novice user error and kept my Dad (pt) very relaced.  Everyone should have this option!
M3Riddler

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

Know what you mean about hooked.  We love it & thank God for the different options that are available now.  You know these options have not always been available for patients. With the technology and new stuff now days, Im sure they will be growing their own kidneys soon!

I think alot of people in-center just dont feel that they can do it at home. For whatever their reasons, its okay, but I do wish they would at least try it and if they dont like it they can always go back.

lmunchkin

lmunchkin,

One reason is that they are not informed about the different choices by their nephrologist.  Most in-center do not feel they are able to handle home dialysis because it is not really explained to them unless they come out and ask. It should be up to the physician to explain their options, but unfortunately, many do not.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »

Unfortunately M3, you are correct! Alot does depend on Neph.  Fortunately, We got an excellent neph. She is awesome and very attentive towards her patients. She is also Director of the In-Center where Jay went briefly. When, as I have said previously, he was first diagnosed in 2004, this home hemo was not offered as an option. But I understand it has been available for awhile now.

I really dont think my neph. was familiar with Nxstage at that time to feel comfortable offering it. Maybe she wanted to see how others react to it, I dont know! But she did mention it last year and we went for it!    Loving every minute of it! What an awesome little machine.  We hope too soon put that puppy in van with few supplies needed and take off south.  It is so convenient.  I do wish however that it was much lighter in weight, but hey, we will take what we can get.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:14:30 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

We took ours to Florida for a week of camping in a state park. Yep! Loved that machine!

:2thumbsup;

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »

I spoke to clinic nurse this am to give numbers on tx's.  Asked him had he been training anybody, he said no not for past couple months.  I understand that people in these clinics may be scared to try this and to some point I dont blame them especially if they do not have a supporter with them. But honestly, those of you who have a loved one with you and do have time in your day to do this, PLEASE GIVE THIS A TRY! 
He said " It will take people like me to get the word out about Nxstage" cause we are users of it.  If you train for it and they see you cant do it they WILL NOT let you go home to do this!  Now that being said, I was nervous as all get out when we got home (which nurse will come home with you) but nurse was not going to leave until I felt comfy with it. This was after We trained at the clinic for 4 weeks with him. After a week, I was feeling pretty good, but still leary, he let me try in the next week on my own.  Had a few issues that we talked over phone to resolve and I was on my way.
Also, they have a 24hr tech support that is AWESOME!!!  I mean that Seriously!  They WALK, TALK , AND BREATHE NXSTAGE.  They do know their stuff, I tell you what!!
I also understand that spouses or other people who are helping care for patients with kidney diseases that require D, may feel that they may not be educated enough to learn this, but I am NOT educated very much either, but I learned out of love & necessity.  Not saying that you don't love & do for your loved one like I, far from it, just saying don't need to be educated in this to learn it, just attentive to the patients needs and cares. If he/she wants to try it at home and is a canidate for this, then why not try it.
I do know there are exceptions to every rule, but I also know, that there are people who can do this at home, but are afraid to try it.
Aleta, hubby and I plan a brief visit to Nashville here soon. Do you know of a walk for kidneys foundation that may be taking place there? I would love to walk it!

Please, those of you who are soooo tired of the INCENTER experience, try this obtion with NxStage!  You will LOVE IT and the Freedom it  affords!

lmunchkin

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »

Aleta, hubby and I plan a brief visit to Nashville here soon. Do you know of a walk for kidneys foundation that may be taking place there? I would love to walk it!

Lmunchkin! I am only 3 hours from Nashville!!!!!

I'll try to find out if anything is happening there....  :2thumbsup;

Aleta

tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »

Lmunchkin......   Good for you ....   I too think Nxstage is the way to go..... and yes for those that hate in center should try Nxstage....  its overwhelming at first.... but a piece of cake after you get the hang of it....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »